ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #8185
orangetiger
Rep
Drives: Nissan Navara

That's why I am hesitant to buy EV.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60758.50
eugenebmw1524.00
      Today, 02:30 AM   #8186
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I understand your point. But, I’m wondering if you have ever been to the United States. I think it can be hard for Europeans to grasp the differences in size. The U.S. is about 40 times the physical size of the UK and the population is 5 times larger. I mention this because the infrastructure requirements and hurdles are phenomenal and short of the United States banning internal combustion engines and absolutely forcing no other option than EVs the demand for EVs would only ever come after the infrastructure is already in place or at the very least well into the construction phase. No one who would depend on the needed charging infrastructure is going to buy an EV on the promise that the infrastructure is coming.

I live in a relatively new condo building in Chicago with a 180 space parking garage. Even though my building is relatively new it does not have the necessary electrical infrastructure to accommodate any charging stations. It so happens that my building houses an electric company electrical vault that serves our entire neighborhood, so the cost for us to install the necessary infrastructure to be able to add charging stations in our garage is roughly half of what it would be if that electrical vault was not already in place. And the cost for us to do the infrastructure installation would be over $300,000. That’s just the basic electric infrastructure. The cost to install the chargers throughout our garage would probably be $3000 - $4000 per charger. That’s a total cost to the owners in my building approaching $1 million.

I'm not sure why size of country is relevant when we are talking about issues in cities and on street parking issues - we have same issues this side of the pond.

and how many $millions worth of cars are parked in those bays - as the demand changes then people will start looking at ways of making things happen more efficiently thus bring down the cost. However that involves investment, something we seem to have reduced to almost zero.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:43 AM   #8187
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I would be terrified also. If they can sink transport ships they could also do only who knows what to a building.
And an electrical fault or a component failure in a moving diesel vehicle burnt down a multi-story car park

VW are being sued by the owners of and insurers Felicity Ace. They accuse VW of withholding information about the risks associated with transporting electrified cars and not telling them of necessary precautions for safely transporting the cars.

Basically it sunk because the crew had no idea how to deal with a fire in an electrical car - if it can't be dealt with safely then look to the insurance market adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:14 AM   #8188
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
I'm not sure why size of country is relevant when we are talking about issues in cities and on street parking issues - we have same issues this side of the pond.

and how many $millions worth of cars are parked in those bays - as the demand changes then people will start looking at ways of making things happen more efficiently thus bring down the cost. However that involves investment, something we seem to have reduced to almost zero.
UK is hugely over populated and is getting to be one of the highest taxed places in the world, we need this investment (taxing the legal populate even more) for EV charging like a hole in the head.
Appreciate 3
      Today, 08:11 AM   #8189
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Don't fall for the PHEV hype – go battery EV or go home
05/05/2024
You’ve probably seen the headlines: battery EV sales are slowing down, and PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) sales are hot; the DC fast charging infrastructure isn’t good enough for road trips, so you should drive a PHEV; battery EVs aren’t ready for prime time, but PHEV are the best of both worlds. I’m here to tell you that it’s all nonsense. Battery EVs are better today than ever, while PHEVs are full of compromises.
The inconvenient truth is that at the core, PHEVs are still basically gas cars. Sure, they also include a small EV drivetrain, but they are based on the same platform as their hybrid and gasoline twins, with the same packaging and safety compromises. So, unlike most battery EVs, which are built on a bespoke platform, PHEVs don’t have a frunk (front trunk), or a flat floor, or anywhere near the same amount of interior space.
Another important thing to consider is that you must be able to charge PHEVs at home (or at work) to make them worthwhile. If you never (or rarely) plug your PHEV into a power outlet to charge it, you’re just basically driving around in a heavier-than-normal hybrid with worse fuel efficiency than a regular hybrid.
Even a Nissan Leaf with just 150 miles of range will get the job done, and you won’t be wasting electricity to lug around a heavy ICE (internal combustion engine), gas tank, muffler, and related paraphernalia.
So, forget PHEVs – they aren’t the answer. Battery EVs are viable today, and the sooner we all get on board, the better. It’s time to commit! Go battery EV or go home.
https://www.techradar.com/vehicle-te...-ev-or-go-home

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with this author on too much but I do think she makes valid points. PHEVs offer all the complications and cost with little added benefits of lower maintenance, lower cost.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1524.00
      Today, 09:19 AM   #8190
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Don't fall for the PHEV hype – go battery EV or go home
05/05/2024
You’ve probably seen the headlines: battery EV sales are slowing down, and PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) sales are hot; the DC fast charging infrastructure isn’t good enough for road trips, so you should drive a PHEV; battery EVs aren’t ready for prime time, but PHEV are the best of both worlds. I’m here to tell you that it’s all nonsense. Battery EVs are better today than ever, while PHEVs are full of compromises.
The inconvenient truth is that at the core, PHEVs are still basically gas cars. Sure, they also include a small EV drivetrain, but they are based on the same platform as their hybrid and gasoline twins, with the same packaging and safety compromises. So, unlike most battery EVs, which are built on a bespoke platform, PHEVs don’t have a frunk (front trunk), or a flat floor, or anywhere near the same amount of interior space.
Another important thing to consider is that you must be able to charge PHEVs at home (or at work) to make them worthwhile. If you never (or rarely) plug your PHEV into a power outlet to charge it, you’re just basically driving around in a heavier-than-normal hybrid with worse fuel efficiency than a regular hybrid.
Even a Nissan Leaf with just 150 miles of range will get the job done, and you won’t be wasting electricity to lug around a heavy ICE (internal combustion engine), gas tank, muffler, and related paraphernalia.
So, forget PHEVs – they aren’t the answer. Battery EVs are viable today, and the sooner we all get on board, the better. It’s time to commit! Go battery EV or go home.
https://www.techradar.com/vehicle-te...-ev-or-go-home

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with this author on too much but I do think she makes valid points. PHEVs offer all the complications and cost with little added benefits of lower maintenance, lower cost.
This lady thinks lugging around a 2 ton EV is energy efficient.
The main advantage of a hybrid is that you will never have range anxiety and better mpg than a pure ICE vehicle.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1524.00
      Today, 10:23 AM   #8191
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
UK is hugely over populated and is getting to be one of the highest taxed places in the world, we need this investment (taxing the legal populate even more) for EV charging like a hole in the head.
If done properly it should raise money long term - after all they'll be selling something
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:49 PM   #8192
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, I’ll just pose this question again. I have yet to see it addressed. What would be your plan for charging if you lived in a vintage apartment/condominium building in Chicago and you only had street parking and you parked in a different place every time you drove your car? My guesstimation is this applies to at least 50% of the cars in the city of Chicago.
Here is the ugly and dangerous solutions nobody want to talk about it All they care is telling you EV will save and make our earth green.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick60758.50
      Today, 12:51 PM   #8193
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Will there be any EU domestic automakers left after the Greens and the Chynese get done with them. That fleet of jumbo Chynese auto carriers is gonna be busy! The flood has started.

NIO (NYSE:NIO) shares are getting a boost Monday as the Chinese EV company is on track to unveil a new mass-market brand by the end of May and a second smaller EV under $30K for the European market by 2025, according to a NIO senior executive cited by Reuters.

Lower-cost and smaller model EVs are seen as an attempt to compete with Tesla’s (TSLA) Model 3 as well as comparable models from Chinese competitors like XPeng (XPEV), BYD (OTCPK:BYDDF) (OTCPK:BYDDY), and Xiaomi (OTCPK:XIACF) as the crowded EV market in China is forcing manufacturers to cut costs, increase selection, and innovate with smaller and higher-range vehicles.

Early this year, the car company launched a touring version of the ET5 sedan and EL6 SUV aimed at families in Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, and Sweden.

Last edited by Weather Man; Today at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:54 PM   #8194
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Here is the ugly and dangerous solutions nobody want to talk about it All they care is telling you EV will save and make our earth green.
In places that actually get cold, that size/length cord will keep the battery warm and that's about it. Walk out in the morning and realize you can't actually get to work.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1524.00
      Today, 01:03 PM   #8195
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Drove past a KIA dealer in KC yesterday and the number of EV9s on the lots was staggering. Must have been 40 of them. All the dealer lots in the area, minus Toyota, were overflowing with vehicles, even the BMW dealer.
      Today, 01:05 PM   #8196
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
In places that actually get cold, that size/length cord will keep the battery warm and that's about it. Walk out in the morning and realize you can't actually get to work.
I bet this will be the next generation use for excuse not going to work
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:36 PM   #8197
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Drove past a KIA dealer in KC yesterday and the number of EV9s on the lots was staggering.
I'm seeing more KIA EV's on the road around here than I'm seeing Tesla's. Dam near got back up over by one at the post office last week, It was so windy the insipid electric hum was masked and it was a case of oblivious driver.
Appreciate 0