ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #45
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Yes, what I learned so far is that the DSP coax connection for the CD Digital signal was an old solution (do not know if better), our car the signal is analog from the CD to the head unit, but from there goes to the amp, which does the digital processing. So the end result is a digital output either way.

I am debating using the BB for calls or keep my TCU, which is almost useless as quality is very poor anyway. If you go to the NAM3 forum there is more info there and I think you can tune mic volume to reduce echoing
Can you explain further? I don't understand the sentence: "I am debating using the BB for calls or keep my TCU, which is almost useless as quality is very poor anyway." Doesn't the BB use the TCU for calls using the TCU adapter?

Can you link the NAM3 thread you're referring to?

Calling is one of the primary reasons I got the BB so I want it to be as good as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #46
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monday View Post
I just received my Bluebus in the mail and realized that I also need the 54 pin adapter in order to get it to work with my integrated hands-free calling. I find it odd that no one else in this thread has installed the 54 pin adapter since it adds so much functionality. Does anyone know where to find the 54 pin plug in an e86?
I have found the OE Phone Bluetooth system to be good enough (This after iOS 14). Before it was bad. Besides, I don’t want the car reporting random errors because the TCU is disconnected. Yes, I know I can remove it from the vehicle order and code it out, but I am after OE+.

The 54 pin connector goes to the TCU, which is the huge module on the left side of the bulkhead. You unplug the TCU and connect the the adapter to it, then to the bluebus.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #47
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain further? I don't understand the sentence: "I am debating using the BB for calls or keep my TCU, which is almost useless as quality is very poor anyway." Doesn't the BB use the TCU for calls using the TCU adapter?

Can you link the NAM3 thread you're referring to?

Calling is one of the primary reasons I got the BB so I want it to be as good as possible.
After updating my iPhone to iOS14, the OE TCU works fine, before, the volume was very low!

Here is the link.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...tooth-solution
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #48
Mr. Monday
Rep

Quote:
I have found the OE Phone Bluetooth system to be good enough (This after iOS 14). Before it was bad. Besides, I don’t want the car reporting random errors because the TCU is disconnected. Yes, I know I can remove it from the vehicle order and code it out, but I am after OE+.

The 54 pin connector goes to the TCU, which is the huge module on the left side of the bulkhead. You unplug the TCU and connect the the adapter to it, then to the bluebus.
Thanks, this is helpful. I watched the e39 install video as well as a couple of other install videos and the 54 pin connector was loose in a bundle of cables, not plugged into the TCU. I guess it's different in the e85/86?

Quote:
After updating my iPhone to iOS14, the OE TCU works fine, before, the volume was very low!

Here is the link.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...tooth-solution
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

The thing I'm worried about in terms of using the OE Bluetooth hands-free is that it would be on a separate Bluetooth so when playing music via the Bluebus, if I got a call it would have to somehow switch over to the OE Bluetooth from the Bluebus. How does that work on your end?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #49
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful. I watched the e39 install video as well as a couple of other install videos and the 54 pin connector was loose in a bundle of cables, not plugged into the TCU. I guess it's different in the e85/86?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

The thing I'm worried about in terms of using the OE Bluetooth hands-free is that it would be on a separate Bluetooth so when playing music via the Bluebus, if I got a call it would have to somehow switch over to the OE Bluetooth from the Bluebus. How does that work on your end?
I have not received mine yet, desperately awaiting though, so I have no idea how that will work, if at all. Someone in another forum had the same question, what I understood is that the phone handles the transition, though I may be incorrect. Are you able to test this out? My BB won't be with me until the end of the week, but I have taken the car apart already LOL

Please see the next phots, you can see two big modules, the one on the right is the amp, the one on the left is the TCU

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  260.1 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  229.6 KB

the 54 pin connector is right at the lowermost left corner (black with a white release tab)

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  252.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #50
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I completely removed my telematics unit when I put my BlueBus in last week. Bluetooth phone calls, Siri and the steering wheel buttons work perfectly with my iPhone. No warning lights or anything on the dash. From the driver's seat, you would think it's like that from the factory.

I'm having some audio issues though, music playback keeps pausing and re-starting. Ted's support has been awesome. So far it looks like the head unit is causing the issue, not the Blue Bus. I've got an '08 M Coupe with the top hi-fi (Carver) but no nav. I'd be interested if any other Z4 owners with the same stereo are having issues.
      11-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #51
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigg614 View Post
Wait so what about us with the DSP? I can't seem a coax cable that fits...

I did find one with a black and purple cover around it that I wasn't able to connect directly to the unit.
The updated "Carver" DSP does away with the S/PDIF coax input (likely to save a buck). The input is there and the hole is there, but the SMB connector itself is missing. That does mean (and it has been tested!) that you can retrofit the connector with a bit of solder and be good to go.

Quote:

For what it's worth, there's no coding required for things like the CD Changer and the TCU. Removing the TCU won't throw codes anywhere as modules such as this one handshake on the fly with the modules that care about their existence.

Quote:
If you disable "Handsfree" in the BlueBus, everything will be seamless. Your phone will pause playback when the call comes in and the device with HFP (Hands Free Protocol) open will get the announcement that you have a call coming in (this being the OE TCU).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
I completely removed my telematics unit when I put my BlueBus in last week. Bluetooth phone calls, Siri and the steering wheel buttons work perfectly with my iPhone. No warning lights or anything on the dash. From the driver's seat, you would think it's like that from the factory.

I'm having some audio issues though, music playback keeps pausing and re-starting. Ted's support has been awesome. So far it looks like the head unit is causing the issue, not the Blue Bus. I've got an '08 M Coupe with the top hi-fi (Carver) but no nav. I'd be interested if any other Z4 owners with the same stereo are having issues.
I actually think it was the BlueBus causing the radio to go wild. I've sent you an updated firmware to try

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 1
wdb4721.50
      11-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #52
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post

For what it's worth, there's no coding required for things like the CD Changer and the TCU. Removing the TCU won't throw codes anywhere as modules such as this one handshake on the fly with the modules that care about their existence.

-Ted
It will, just not in the form of a light. But when connected via ICOM and INPA it will pick it up. I have OCD when comes to my car, so for really not having any hidden issue, it needs coding (update the VO, remove the TCU, recode the car)

Does it matter, maybe not to the rest, but does to me.

If I don’t like the TCU, i will use the BB. I guess baby steps here
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #53
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The new firmware Ted sent me solved my audio issues. Great support as always!
      11-12-2020, 03:35 AM   #54
Mr. Monday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
If you disable "Handsfree" in the BlueBus, everything will be seamless. Your phone will pause playback when the call comes in and the device with HFP (Hands Free Protocol) open will get the announcement that you have a call coming in (this being the OE TCU).
My phone can't connect to two Bluetooth devices at once, so you're saying that my phone will automatically disconnect from the BB and connect to the TCU Bluetooth when a call comes in? And when the call is ended the TCU Bluetooth will automatically disconnect and it will automatically reconnect to the BB Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #55
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Earlier this year, I installed a Grom for streaming music but didn't run it's mic. I found out after later (of course!) that my OE BT bit the dust. Can calls be made via BlueBus using the stock car mic?

If I have to get behind the trunk panel to access the Grom anyways...might as well explore if BlueBus is a better alternative for both BT music and calls.
      11-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #56
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Earlier this year, I installed a Grom for streaming music but didn't run it's mic. I found out after later (of course!) that my OE BT bit the dust. Can calls be made via BlueBus using the stock car mic?

If I have to get behind the trunk panel to access the Grom anyways...might as well explore if BlueBus is a better alternative for both BT music and calls.
The BlueBus works fine with the stock Bluetooth mic. I took my entire Telematics unit out when I put my BlueBus in. Just be sure to zip tie the extra cables so they don't rattle around. Due to the harness lengths, I ended up installing my BlueBus with command strips on the back of the center storage bin.
      11-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #57
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
If someone with a coupe would do a quick YouTube video on their install process, a bunch of us would be grateful. I hate tearing into the car as is required to do the install, but mainly because when I do a job like this without detailed instructions, I'll screw it all up and make it harder than it needed to be. My BlueBus arrived last week, anxious to get it installed.. but not anxious to wrestle with the install process.
bosstones1154.00
      11-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #58
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
If someone with a coupe would do a quick YouTube video on their install process, a bunch of us would be grateful. I hate tearing into the car as is required to do the install, but mainly because when I do a job like this without detailed instructions, I'll screw it all up and make it harder than it needed to be. My BlueBus arrived last week, anxious to get it installed.. but not anxious to wrestle with the install process.
I used NewTIS a LOT when I installed Grom. Unfortunately, the site had to be taken down. Maybe there are some Grom install DIY's that show the process if getting all tye panels out(?9. I'd he happy to make one for folks hut I dont even have a BlueBus in order and haven't put the Moupe away for the winter yet.

Quote:
The BlueBus works fine with the stock Bluetooth mic. I took my entire Telematics unit out when I put my BlueBus in. Just be sure to zip tie the extra cables so they don't rattle around. Due to the harness lengths, I ended up installing my BlueBus with command strips on the back of the center storage bin.
Thanks! I was hoping that was the case! The Grom setup had a lot of extra slack in it as well. I have plenty if extra zip ties.
      11-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #59
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have installed my bluebus today, and noted some "bugs" which I have let Ted know. The good news is that it works (plays music), and I can make calls using the TCU... seems the integration between the two is ok.

Bellow are a few photos of my install... I am yet to get a USB cable I can run under the trunk lining to be able to connect to the BB for updates.

I tucked the ear tabs and side flange of the unit under the amp bracket

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  325.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  362.4 KB

And I added double-sided tape to the upper part of the module.

Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  427.8 KB

Overall is very neat and looks OE

Name:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  365.6 KB

Last edited by maupineda; 11-14-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #60
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

For those that are about to install with your BB's. You may be interested in following this thread

https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/issues/52

I received a new firmware (posted on the above link) and it solved many of the issues I was having, I'd say is 85% where it needs to be, but even as is is already fantastic!!!!! For me the music streaming functionality + the comfort unlock of the doors when turning the car off is worht the cost of entry

the blinker feature don't seem to work, but again, my car is coded via NCSExpert and I already have the number of blinks I wanted, and my car locks at 10mph.

This thing makes the car so much modern, it just brings it to today's level of basic functionality.
Appreciate 1
wdb4721.50
      11-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #61
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I put together a DIY guide and posted in the DIY section. Figured it would be easier to keep it separate for anyone looking for a guide in the future. Thanks to Maupineda for some of the pictures.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1#post26911451
      11-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #62
CloneZ4
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe

Quote:
I put together a DIY guide and posted in the DIY section. Figured it would be easier to keep it separate for anyone looking for a guide in the future. Thanks to Maupineda for some of the pictures.

I'm about to embark on a BlueBus install in my non-M Coupe. Unfortunately removing the bulkhead panel on the non-M variant appears to be more involved. I did find pertinent instructions on another forum that document the process:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/l...t-trim.240959/

The order of the scanned document pages is a bit scrambled. As best I can tell this is the required order:

1 - Remove the floor panel
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-30.jpg
2 - Remove the tail trim panel
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-31.jpg
3 - Remove the left and right top trim
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-32.jpg
4 - Remove the left and right C-pillar trim
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-33.jpg
5 - Remove the left wheel arch trim
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-28.jpg
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-29.jpg
6 - Remove the right wheel arch trim
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-34.jpg
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-35.jpg
7 - Finally remove the bulkhead panel
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...4coupes-27.jpg

I'll report back after I actually undertake the operation.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #63
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^^ the process is the same, you don’t need to remove all of that. In fact on the non-m you have one less panel to remove as there is no battery cover.

The TIS documentation for the M also indicates to remove the side panels but you don't have to.

Last edited by maupineda; 11-15-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #64
CloneZ4
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe

How do I get to the fasteners at the top left and right of the back panel which are hidden behind the side panels?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #65
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneZ4 View Post
How do I get to the fasteners at the top left and right of the back panel which are hidden behind the side panels?
Try looking around at the extreme corners of the bulkhead trim. A flashlight really helped me on my car. There were 2 clips on the right (passenger) side. I ended up not needing to unclip anything on the left.

You can also loosen the back panel by pulling it down under the cargo cover. Try starting in the middle and working your way out. That way you might be able to feel around for the pushpins and push them out from the backside of the trim.
      11-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #66
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
It will, just not in the form of a light. But when connected via ICOM and INPA it will pick it up. I have OCD when comes to my car, so for really not having any hidden issue, it needs coding (update the VO, remove the TCU, recode the car)

Does it matter, maybe not to the rest, but does to me.

If I don’t like the TCU, i will use the BB. I guess baby steps here
Ah, so INPA/ISTA will check the VO and error if a given module isn't found. If you wanted, I can add support (sometime down the line) for the BlueBus to respond to diagnostics ident requests for the TEL module. That should keep the BMW tools placated.

Quote:
My phone can't connect to two Bluetooth devices at once, so you're saying that my phone will automatically disconnect from the BB and connect to the TCU Bluetooth when a call comes in? And when the call is ended the TCU Bluetooth will automatically disconnect and it will automatically reconnect to the BB Bluetooth?
Not to sound rude, but what kind of phone can't connect to multiple BT devices in 2020?

No, if your phone can only connect to one BT device at a time, then the BlueBus/OE TCU combo will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I used NewTIS a LOT when I installed Grom. Unfortunately, the site had to be taken down.
It doesn't include TIS, but here's an online WDS: https://bmwteka.com/

Quote:
the blinker feature don't seem to work, but again, my car is coded via NCSExpert and I already have the number of blinks I wanted, and my car locks at 10mph.
The blinker feature that the BlueBus offers cannot override your LSZ's coding . If you had the LSZ coded for 3 blinks and set the BlueBus for five, then you'd get five blinks. The reason is that the BlueBus uses diagnostics requests to bring these features to life, and doesn't actually code the module. If I were to code the module, then support for 90% of my customers would poof away as most don't have LSZs capable of this feature, and none of the LCMs ever remotely supported it

Quote:

Thank you so much for this!

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 2
wdb4721.50
maupineda455.50