ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #67
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
Ah, so INPA/ISTA will check the VO and error if a given module isn't found. If you wanted, I can add support (sometime down the line) for the BlueBus to respond to diagnostics ident requests for the TEL module. That should keep the BMW tools placated.

The blinker feature that the BlueBus offers cannot override your LSZ's coding . If you had the LSZ coded for 3 blinks and set the BlueBus for five, then you'd get five blinks. The reason is that the BlueBus uses diagnostics requests to bring these features to life, and doesn't actually code the module. If I were to code the module, then support for 90% of my customers would poof away as most don't have LSZs capable of this feature, and none of the LCMs ever remotely supported it

Thanks!
-Ted
This makes perfect sense! thanks for taking the time to respond to all questions from all customers.

Ted, the product is really great, it just makes the car feel so right in this age and era!!!!

No worries in trying to have BB to respond to queries for the TCU in the car's network, I don't think many people care about it . I may remove the TCU eventually to save weight later down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #68
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW Z4 3.0si E85

Now that we are past 2020, does anyone know the delivery lead times on new BlueBus units?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #69
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy5000 View Post
Now that we are past 2020, does anyone know the delivery lead times on new BlueBus units?
ECS Tuning has ~50 pre-allocations available still from the June batch: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bluebus-.../bluebus1~blu/

The late June re-stock date is accurate.

All other allocations for the June batch directly through me have been pre-sold, and I probably won't be doing another run until July.

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      12-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #70
73tiigyuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d F15 E90 M3

Here is a cheap and easy way to use Bluetooth

You have to have an aux port nearby a 12v supply for the old USB charger in the cigarette lighter port.

I used this with my E90 M3 before installing a carplay MMI device.

Pretty simple solution as the usb side is a bluetooth device that routes audio out of the 3.5mm jack.
Plug the 3.5 into the port below hvac controls, plug the usb into a cig lighter charging adapter.

but you won't have all the capabilities the BluBus has.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      12-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #71
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

That's a bit more bulky that the Tunai Firefly I use but it does allow for more distance between connection points.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/E...4-9C8F28C40EB2
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 05:41 AM   #72
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
it can do both
Is then TCU adapter for blue bus worth it? Not so much from cost perspective but for those with factory Bluetooth, is the blue bus phone audio noticeably better that one should replace the factory TCU? In past seems like other aftermarket solutions have not paired well with the factory mic so I wonder if one is better off just limiting blue to streaming music only.
      04-17-2023, 09:13 AM   #73
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Is then TCU adapter for blue bus worth it? Not so much from cost perspective but for those with factory Bluetooth, is the blue bus phone audio noticeably better that one should replace the factory TCU? In past seems like other aftermarket solutions have not paired well with the factory mic so I wonder if one is better off just limiting blue to streaming music only.
Incoming audio is better for sure. Outgoing audio can be hit or miss, but ultimately I know the right combination to make it work.

Most of the time, the factory mic in later build E46s and E8xs works fine (part ending in 762), but other times it can pick up an echo of the caller which is annoying for the other party. This can be tuned out usually, but at the very worst switching to the microphone with P/N 84318380338 is the final solution. This microphone performs perfectly with the BlueBus.

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #74
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
Incoming audio is better for sure. Outgoing audio can be hit or miss, but ultimately I know the right combination to make it work.

Most of the time, the factory mic in later build E46s and E8xs works fine (part ending in 762), but other times it can pick up an echo of the caller which is annoying for the other party. This can be tuned out usually, but at the very worst switching to the microphone with P/N 84318380338 is the final solution. This microphone performs perfectly with the BlueBus.

Thanks!
-Ted
Is the echo based on chassis (i.e. roadster vs coupe) or options (DSP vs non-DSP)?
      04-17-2023, 09:59 AM   #75
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
Is the echo based on chassis (i.e. roadster vs coupe) or options (DSP vs non-DSP)?
I have never been able to pin down why some people get echo on the other parties end. My guess is different volume levels, as not everyone has perfect hearing and they might not necessarily know it.

-Ted
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 01:18 AM   #76
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not get the TCU adapter. The OE BT module is good enough for me. But what I understand is that is better as it streams the call audio using the cars speakers and sound quality is better. I may give it a go eventually. You would also save the weight as you can now ditch the big TCU brick
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 02:11 AM   #77
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did not get the TCU adapter. The OE BT module is good enough for me. But what I understand is that is better as it streams the call audio using the cars speakers and sound quality is better. I may give it a go eventually. You would also save the weight as you can now ditch the big TCU brick
Yeah I was thinking the same. But your comment re car’s speakers, is that not the case for the OEM handsfree option? If not how else would the audio come through?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #78
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

The OE unit uses only one or two speakers, don’t know which though. That is why the sound is very flat and volume does go very high
Appreciate 1
3002 tii2272.00
      04-18-2023, 11:12 AM   #79
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The OE unit uses only one or two speakers, don’t know which though. That is why the sound is very flat and volume does go very high
I wonder if that’s intentional and what causes the echo when switching over to blue bus
      04-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #80
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if that’s intentional and what causes the echo when switching over to blue bus
The two front speakers are what the TCU uses. This is a carryover from the E31 / E32 / E34 / E36 and early E38 & E39 where the phone module directly drove a secondary coil on the front speakers for call audio. To cut down on wiring, newer E-chassis switched to a system where the call audio would come from the TCU over to the radio, and the radio would switch the front speakers on using existing wiring.

Some E46s had a speaker under the steering column for call audio, but that was only there until 2001.

The echo is likely attributed to the fact that the newer 762 microphone is over gained (which is why BMW touted it as noise cancelling -- the added gain allowed them to more easily apply a NR algo). As I mentioned, not everyone has the issue, and the 338 microphone doesn't have the issue whatsoever.

-Ted
Appreciate 0