ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #1
wrk.eat.drive.rpt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 08 e92 m3

Know Wheels that fit Stoptech Kit ST-60/40 Kit without spacers?

I've searched in the forums here have been a few minor discussion but non quite definitive. Looking for the guidance of the knowledgeable folks here for perspective/insight. : )

I'm planning for the stoptech's but REALLY want to to put on the M219 wheels on. I believe they have a similar fitment to stock so will unlikely be able to fit without spacers. I'm pretty adamant about not doing spacers and STRONGLY prefer 18's. (so the CSL wheels are less ideal) and OEM as possible so NO RUB/NO lowering/No camber changes/etc.

My questions is does anyone know if these options will fit (or if there are other more classic OEM style looking wheels that might fit without spacers/or rubbing/other suspension changes)?

- Apex Arc 8 (or similar)
- 19' OEM CSL Wheels
- OEM M260
- OEM 513
- Apex SM-10
- ?????

My thanks ahead!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

The SM-10 should fit and the Arc 8 depending on the wheel width/offset you choose. Shoot Apex an email they will be able to answer you for sure.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
wrk.eat.drive.rpt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I figured the Apex options would likely fit. Just more curious on the OEM options.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
wrk.eat.drive.rpt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hmm, thought a bbk with some type of OEM Wheel would have been a more popular mod to get feedback on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan9273 View Post
hmm, thought a bbk with some type of OEM Wheel would have been a more popular mod to get feedback on.
Just my observation.

If one springs for BBK, that's a $5k+ mod easily depending on brands plus further consumables. The M brakes are sufficient for spirit drives and occasional track duty until you starting to drive 6/10 and above consistently.

For $2k+, you get the best bang for the buck to swap out the boat anchor OE wheel for a lighter set and better looks/wider track etc. Lighter wheel are one of easiest to install/uninstall/sell and preferred mod for most people.

So for most, they will change wheels before BBK and if they get a BBK, they don't usually stay with heavy OE wheels.

Unless one do BBK for show then wheels will still attract more eye balls per surface area per second than BBK.

IMHO.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Just my observation.

If one springs for BBK, that's a $5k+ mod easily depending on brands plus further consumables. The M brakes are sufficient for spirit drives and occasional track duty until you starting to drive 6/10 and above consistently.

For $2k+, you get the best bang for the buck to swap out the boat anchor OE wheel for a lighter set and better looks/wider track etc. Lighter wheel are one of easiest to install/uninstall/sell and preferred mod for most people.

So for most, they will change wheels before BBK and if they get a BBK, they don't usually stay with heavy OE wheels.

Unless one do BBK for show then wheels will still attract more eye balls per surface area per second than BBK.

IMHO.
Truth.

OEM wheels suck. Much better wheels are available. More bang for the buck than brakes.

FYI, I have 355mm Stoptechs and Apex ARC-8 17x9.5 et35 fit. Fronts require a 5mm spacer to clear the spokes. Barrels clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
wrk.eat.drive.rpt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm considering a z4m that has stoptech bbk's already on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
I'm considering a z4m that has stoptech bbk's already on them.
What suspension? Usually if you clear the BBK you'll clear the strut. I think it's been answered already but a square 9.5x35x18 works nicely with a 5mm spacer in front and a 12mm spacer rear. So a 9.5x30x18 or a 9.5x22x18 would work too.

Since I'm not sure of the use-cases for these wheels (track, street, both, ultra light) or you driving style and preferences (staggered or square) it's hard to go further. You can use an offset calculator to play around with width and clearance though with parameters above. Apex EC-7, SM-10, and ARC-8 are candidates, although I'd double check with Apex.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that may help and the calculator.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...eQ3nGd8UEo5jKM

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

May I ask why "no spacers"? I've used them front and rear with my track set-ups (like 50+ track days) and street too with zero issues. Porsche uses them OEM. With them you can run a square set-up you can rotate tires, which is awesome if you track.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Quote:
Just my observation.

IMHO.
Stock brakes lack the same precise linear feel of a BBK, yet add a good pad like Stoptech Street Performance, or PFC-08 and top shelf racing fluid and they're pretty darn good.

I ran a ST-40 setup front/rear for a couple of seasons, then swapped back to stock. (My lucky wife got the ST-40s.) It's way easier to change pads on the ST-40, but aside from that, I really didn't find they slowed me down that much, fade, or limit my ability to trail brake. Trail braking is a bit trickier but the PFC-08 helps a lot imo.

I'm not the fastest person (about 1.46/47) at Laguna but by no means slow. With ducting I think you could still run faster with oem w/o issues even on track like Laguna that aren't especially "brake friendly".

Now lighter wheels and good tires...those definitely affect lap times and handling and comfort on the street.

That's a long way of saying I agree lighter wheels > BBK for performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Apex EC-7s have even more clearance than the ARC-8s as well.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
wrk.eat.drive.rpt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so I'm a an conundrum. I was told by apex folks that if I went with the ARC-8
front- 18x8.5 ET38
Rear - 18x9.5 ET22
without spacers and without rubbing and fit the 355mm BBK Stoptech kit.
HOWEVER, they are not in stock until OCT!!!

I was thinking of using a set of M291 Wheels in the short term but was wondering what size spacers I would need to clear the front BBK kit. Help.
Appreciate 0