ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
ChicagoHokie
Rep
Drives: every day ;-)

Smile A 900 mile bonding journey with my new M coupe

I can’t believe that I own an M Coupe after years of dreaming about M cars.

The car is more than awesome. This is a summary of my drive home to Chicago along with a collection of thoughts and pictures. The goal was to bring the car home in one piece

without getting any tickets. I have a tremendous respect for the M coupe, especially based on the reviews which label it as challenging to learn to drive. Mission accomplished!
Before we begin I need to thank DarkstarZero for selling me his M coupe. I hope that he will think of me when he sells his e92 M3 down the road ?. I also need to thank my

awesome wife for letting me actually buy it. She is the best!

Map of the journey to the M coupe’s new home:

Once upon a time… … in the DC area
A week ago (Monday April 25th 2011), I picked up the M Coupe car in Washington DC from DarkstarZero (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504096). He is a great guy. We

spent a lot of time talking about cars and looking for parts in his garage. It got to be well after midnight before I got to the hotel in Fairfax VA. Here are some of pictures

of the M Coupe tucked away in the back of the parking lot and some from the next morning:

Introduction on Skyline Drive Parkway
The next morning I hit the road toward the Skyline Drive via route 211. Just cranking the engine and listening to the idle feels special. That smooth whispering of that engine

at idle sounds deep, full and distinctive. The ride is very tight with exceptional grip due to hard springs but I like it (even after the 900 miles ). The vehicle’s response

to steering input and throttle input is really immediate. There is a surge on heavier throttle input which we think is due to the ECU, which is still running fuel trims for the

gruppe M intake and RPi scoop which are not on the car anymore (it has improved over the last week though). Unfortunately, the skyline drive had a lot of construction sites

along the way, but it is a beautiful road with an unfortunate 35 mph speed limit. I was able to open the throttles a little and ‘Wow ’ that engine sounds

incredibly good. The car hinted at its extreme capabilities. Here are a few pictures of from the Skyline Drive parkway:

Attention grabber
There was an interesting effect that I did not expect to be this pronounced. At almost every stop someone came up to ask or talk about the car, whether I pulled over at a stop

on the skyline drive parkway or a gas station. It’s an attention grabber for sure. I’ll admit that I spend a lot of time looking at (drooling over) the car. Just getting

to the M coupe in a parking lot requires a slower approach with a walk around before getting in.

Discovering the S54 through West Virginia
After the skyline drive, I took I81 south to Blacksburg for a late lunch at Substation 2. In graduate school I used to get my lunch thee almost every day and the owner

remembered me 6 years later. Then I checked in with my graduate advisor and the hybrid electric vehicle team (that used to be my life in college).After that I hit the road again

towards West Virginia. There are a couple of good hills to go through and that was another great testament to the engine’s torque and power. To my great surprise, despite being

such as high revving engine, the S54 has good low end torque (but it’s not hard to impress me as my last car was a Miata). That torque delivery, which is so smooth, comes with

an awesome sound/music. Here are some pictures of that part:

Inside look from Ohio to Indiana
After night fall, I was heading towards Dayton OH and then Indianapolis IN.

On this leg of the trip, I had more time to focus on the interior of the car. I was a little worried about the comfort level on long trips in the M Coupe, but the interior can

actually be a cozy and calm place (almost like a cocoon). Coming from a Miata, the M Coupe interior is just the right size. The all-black interior (headliner, seats, dash,

carbon leather trim) creates a cool and sporty atmosphere. The seats really huge you well and, contrary to past cars I've driven, I found a great driving position. My wife said

that the seats almost ‘swallow you’. All the contact surfaces have a great, solid and luxurious feel. At first the steering wheel seemed a little too thick, but now I love it.

Actually the steering wheel in my Miata feels weirdly thin and fragile now. The high body rigidity, which contributes to the handling, also helps to lower the NVH. So the car is

pretty quiet, except for the tire noise from those 275s! Here are some extra details that came as a good surprise:
+ The cruise control takes a little bit to understand, but once you get it, it is really the most logical cruise control interface. Push forward to engage. Push forward to

accel. Pull back to decel. Push button in to reset. Up or down reset.

+ Premium sound system which sounds great to me. My iPhone fits right under the parking break handle. The car has an iPhone adaptor, but I can use Pandora through the 35mm jack

;-)
+ Sometimes the little things make a difference like that soft elbow rest by the parking brake. It’s perfect for me.

+ You have to love the red led glow over the center console which allows you to see where your fingers are. I know it’s a BMW thing, but it’s so cool and gives you a feeling of

“attack-ready-submarine-battle-station”.

At 1:00 am and little past Lafayette IN, the weather turned bad and I needed to get some sleep (with my allergies, my eyes start burning as I get more tired). The last thought

through my mind before falling asleep was that the car is exactly what I would have ordered (color, trim, options) except that I would have probably skipped the NAV system. I

dreamt about driving the car despite having driven almost 800 miles that day.

The scary rainy last leg of the journey
Wednesday morning, the weather was rainy. This is the first time I turned off the DSC in the hotel parking lot to play a little bit on the wet roads. It’s amazing how well the

DSC works and how well the car hooks up despite the wet roads.

The last 100 miles were a different experience. I80 by Chicago is pretty beat up and has ruts pushed in the road surface by the millions of big rigs driving through the area. In

the rain, the M coupe was bouncing in these ruts. I was going 60 mph following a truck at a distance when the rear end of the car swayed to the left and like a pendulum it

swayed back to the right. I would like to think that my steering inputs corrected the situation but I know the DSC saved my ass and the M Coupe’s ass. The fact that the tires

are at the end of their life span did not help. I am already looking for new tires. This was the reminder that this car demands and requires a lot of respect from its driver.

At work I had to show off the car to co-workers, especially since most of them are car nuts.

The new and old ride

The mandatory Chicago skyline photos
Taken from the Adler Planetary:

Fuel economy summary
Tank 1: 24.6 mpg (ECU indicated 24.0) Fairfax VA to Blacksburg via Skyline Drive Parkway
Tank 2: 27.4 mpg (ECU indicated 28.0) Blacksburg VA to Dayton OH
Tank 3: 26.5 mpg (ECU indicated 26.4) Dayton OH to Chicago IL (+ some driving around town)
These fuel economy number were also a great surprise, but they do reflect a lot of highway cruising. Obviously I am still taking it easy . I remember reading some

people getting 15 mpg!

The rest of the week
The first night out for dinner in Chicago I got a ticket for no front license plate. I already had the rho-bracket for the front plate, but not installed on the car.

Needless to say, I installed it the next morning. It looks pretty good. (Autozone was out of the black screw caps for the front license plate)

Fixed with screw cap covers

I also found a good spot to display some school pride on the car.

Here are a couple of cool details that I never knew about despite reading Zpost for a long time.
+ The filler cap holder on the fuel door hinge

+ The roll out cover on the hatch

+ The Z4 coupe shaped dash display when a door is open

+ The different shades of the color (see the entire photo collection above) from bright kids' toy blue to almost black and some fantastic navy blues and sometimes even purple.

After the positives, here are a few minor dislikes:
+ Previously the car had an M gruppe intake with an RPI scoop and an ESS tune. After removing the intake and scoop the engine surges during a medium or heavy tip in. It seems

that the ECU has to adjust the trim and calibration parameters to adjust to car’s new setup. After a week of driving the situation has improved but some minor hesitations are

still present. Any thoughts on the topic are welcome. Eventually I’ll probably get an M gruppe with the PRI scoop I had my reasons for not buying it with the car

(and did I mention that I am still happily married)
+ There is no instantaneous fuel economy feedback available on the board computer despite the fact that the average fuel economy is available. I would just like to see

instantaneous fuel economy all the time.
+ It’s hit or miss for the GPS to locate the satellites. So half the time the navigation believes that it is not on a ‘digitize road’. Actually the nav is the one option I would

have skipped if I would have ordered the car from BMW. I feel that nav system give away the age of a car since, like computers, the interface starts to look ‘old’ after 2-3

years, but a car (esp the M coupe) design (interior and exterior) can be timeless.
+ The hands free phone system via Bluetooth is nice to have. Although I had to go dig for the pairing code on the controller under the trunk lining panels. DarkstarZero pointed

me to the thread showing where to find the code.
+ Here is a weird one. If you are listening to radio (navigation screen closed) and just change to another pre-programed station by pushing one of the number buttons, the

navigation screen flips up to tell what station you have just selected despite the fact that you pre-programmed them.
+ The ‘Glove box’ joke. This tiny glove box must be the result of BMW enforcing the requirement to have a glove box in every car. The owner's manual does not even fit in the

glove box

+ Crappy Cup holders. I am German and therefore I never understood the need for cup holders anyway…

But honestly these small things don’t matter at all once the engine is running

Sorry that this write up turned into a novel, but I felt compelled to share my happiness. It was also really hard to select only a few of the pictures from the car.

Happy Motoring,
Chicago Hokie
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch (wife's car)

Last edited by ChicagoHokie; 05-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: I fixed some typos. I am an engineer so I can't write or is it the other way around
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Great writeup and nice pics ! welcome to the club !

A little tip for you on the cupholders, the arm of each one can actually be "clicked" back to grip the object you place on them. So they aren't as bad as you think !
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Excellent writeup and congrats on the car! DarkstarZero must still be in tears for letting her go.

For those who haven't done the fly & drive home with their car purchase... it MUST be done at least once in your life. It's an experience you'll never forget! Reading your post made me remember my own experiences (although not with my MC).
      05-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Great write up. Congrats on the new car and hope you continue to enjoy it as much into the future.

I loved doing my fly and drive purchase..in my case to Philly, Pennsylvania and back home to Nova Scotia. Around 1100 miles IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Very cool. Sounds like you had a fun journey getting your M Coupe! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Great write up. Congrats on the new car and hope you continue to enjoy it as much into the future.

I loved doing my fly and drive purchase..in my case to Philly, Pennsylvania and back home to Nova Scotia. Around 1100 miles IIRC.
^+1 congrats.
Funny part about my fly & drive is my car came from Chi town.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Congrats and welcome to the club! Great write-up, too

DarkstarZero - you forgot to remove your county sticker. With turning in the old one, the county will transfer and issue a new replacement for a dollar.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Congrats on the new addition. I did something very similar on my IB, from Lancaster, PA to Pompano Beach, FL unfortunately didn't make it back without a ticket.

You might already know this, but the cup holder arm ratchets in to support the can or bottle better. I was literally finished with my trip when I figured this out.
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Gone but Not Forgotten

2014 M235i E.Blue Mods in Progress
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Congratulations. Great write-up. Just love reading them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

wow, great photography along the way and much congratulations! happy to see an m coupe pass from one forum member to another, keeping it within the enthusiast community and not sitting on some dealer lot!

i too flew and bought my m coupe from houston, albeit it was a simple day trip with 350 miles drive home still a maiden experience i will never forget....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
ChicagoHokie
Rep
Drives: every day ;-)

Thanks for the kind words.

I tried the cup holder 'ratchet' trick and it works great. So I retract my cup holder comments and appologize to all z4 cup holder fans out there. Thanks for the tip
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch (wife's car)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Great story, fantastic pictures, and congratulations on the car! That's a beauty!

It needs a Zpost sticker! You can get one from Nikki--they're inexpensive and very cool!

35 MPH on that that first section of road? I'd be out of my freakin' mind!

The GPS issue is probably a Nav disk issue where the disk is out of date. I'm guessing the original Nav disk is still in there? Might not be worth it to buy a new one, but the 09+ has a lot more data from what I've read.

They call it a glove box for a reason! You can fit exactly one pair of (small) gloves in there!

I don't like the screen popping up either (especially at night) when I touch the radio. The screen should stay down. I wish there were a mod for that. (Probably a software hack, not something I have any clue about.)

I had a similar experience to your when first driving the car with the back end doing the same thing, and was off to a car control clinic a few weeks later. It's a very capable car and the short wheelbase contributes the respect we need to give it.

Another thought--from what I understand in taking to tire experts, wider tires are great for dry grip but add a tendency towards greater hydroplanning in the rain (think pontoon) and of course wear just makes that worse. Stock rears are 255 and fronts 225--which may be a more optimal width (in addition to the right compound) for heavy inclement weather + bad roads. Something to keep in mind in places that see a lot of rain or where the car is a DD....

Last edited by Finnegan; 05-04-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Nice write-up. I pretty much did the opposite trip you did---went to Chicago to get my car. Congrats on the beauty.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
achi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0i

Very cool write-up, glad that you are enjoying the beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Love the wide angle shots
      05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Great write-up and photos....gorgeous car, love Interlagos! Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Nice shots!!!I like the one from the interior while your driving, and your from chicago!!! awesome, keep an eye out for Z meets around the area.
      05-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Great writeup thanks for sharing!

On your complaints:
Quote:
+ There is no instantaneous fuel economy feedback
For that, considering buying one of these when they come out might.

Quote:
+ Here is a weird one. If you are listen to radio (navigation screen closed) and just change to another pre-programed station by push one of the number buttons, the navigation screen flips up
Noticed that as well, would like to be able to use the radio (and change stations) without the screen flipping back up, oh well.

Quote:
+ The ‘Glove box’ joke. This tiny globe box must be the result of BMW enforcing the requirement to have a glove box in every car. The owner manuals do not fit in the glove box
It's pretty much for gloves... no really, very thin gloves haha. Yeah it's almost like the engineers are secretly laughing at the tiny glove box.

Quote:
+ Crappy Cup holders.
I've been thinking about these lately. I think that if you can make the ratcheting of the arm that holds the cup stronger (to make it actually grip the cup), it would actually be quite useful.
      05-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Here is another option for cupholders. The stock ones, even if "improved", fail based on location IMO. My knee invariably finds them entering/exiting the car.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html

Anyone else think the Germans just added these fragile things as a joke--more or less insisting we leave the beverages outside the car? Not that there's a lot of room for beverages in the cabin, but the cupholders in my E92 and Cayman weren't much better...Oh well, I'm German, and I don't really "drink and drive".

Last edited by Finnegan; 05-04-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Great Car!

Great pics!!

Great Story!!!

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the very fine machine. Oh by the way, as this is Star Wars Day, you'll have to name your car, at least for today:

"The ///M - illenium Falcon".

May the Fourth be With You!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

WOW. great shots of the car! Sounds like an awesome journey!

Also: "My wife said that the seats ‘swallow you’ (in a good way!)". You must be a very lucky man at home

Last edited by Eccentric; 05-04-2011 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Congratulations.

As Rick says, yes, a long trip to get acquainted with the car is a must. My own 1200 mile trip from TX to VA was great...even though it was Feb. and I was outrunning snowstorms...

You will defiantly have fun with this car.
Appreciate 0