ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Shipping Z4M from Soflo to DC

Hey guys,

I moved to dc for work and left my car with my family in the mean time. I am looking into bringing her back up to DC. I previously had her shipped form cali to soflo, but Do not want to deal with brokers as they were pretty useless in the process.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Auto train...

If you don't want to fly down and drive it back, or trust someone to do it for you, and don't want to use an auto shipper, the Amtrak Auto Train is the next best bet. It leaves from Orlando and stops in Lorton, VA.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Auto train...

If you don't want to fly down and drive it back, or trust someone to do it for you, and don't want to use an auto shipper, the Amtrak Auto Train is the next best bet. It leaves from Orlando and stops in Lorton, VA.
I've done this both directions several times to go to Bimmerfest. Autotrain leaves Sanford (just north of Orlando) at 4 p.m. in the afternoon and arrives in Lorton VA 8:30 next morning. Your fare includes dinner (avoid the lasagna at all costs) and a continental breakfast. Seats are similar to international business class seat on an airliner so reasonably comfortable. No WiFi except in the club car, so be prepared to link through your phone.
      08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I've done this both directions several times to go to Bimmerfest. Autotrain leaves Sanford (just north of Orlando) at 4 p.m. in the afternoon and arrives in Lorton VA 8:30 next morning. Your fare includes dinner (avoid the lasagna at all costs) and a continental breakfast. Seats are similar to international business class seat on an airliner so reasonably comfortable. No WiFi except in the club car, so be prepared to link through your phone.
Wow, good heads up. I planned to work remote on the train. I would have been in trouble. Is this a tier of ticket i need to get? Or is this car accessible to all?

Realistically, how long should i be before the boarding process to be one of the first out at destination? Lets say i arrive just before 2:30, whats typically worst case scenario on the amount of time it takes to unload the cars? Whats the longest you had to wait?

Do you happen to know if i take one car and return with a different one if this will be an issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
Quote:
Wow, good heads up. I planned to work remote on the train. I would have been in trouble. Is this a tier of ticket i need to get? Or is this car accessible to all?

Realistically, how long should i be before the boarding process to be one of the first out at destination? Lets say i arrive just before 2:30, whats typically worst case scenario on the amount of time it takes to unload the cars? Whats the longest you had to wait?

Do you happen to know if i take one car and return with a different one if this will be an issue?
I took the train down when I moved from md to Orlando. Super easy. Definitely book in advance as prices rise a lot closer to the date. You can take the train without bringing a car so make sure to get the person and car ticket. And they don't care if you return with a different car when you go the opposite route. You buy the ticket per route.

The Car is not accessible when on the train. Biggest issue is the train is slow. If I remember right we left around 3pm and arrived around 11am. They provided dinner and breakfast with my base ticket and there was a full bar train-car. You drop the car at the terminal and they load it, then hop onto the train. Unloading is pretty similar, they give you a number when you drop the car off and wait for your number to be called or shown on the screen (or just watch as they unload).

I tried to play a little game and arrive later to then be the last car on and first off. Didn't really work. Pretty random how they attach train cars together so I wouldn't bother trying. I was one of the last off and I waited about 45 mins.

Ps. My car is pretty low and very modified and was at the time barely running when I put the supercharger on. I was super worried about them driving it but it all went well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90PAT View Post
Quote:

Make sure the auto-train uses enclosed car. I've seen on this forum that someone shipped his car via train and tiny metal fragments inserted into the body paint. Those things were rail-dust and started getting rusted.

On the other hand...Miami(assuming farthest) to DC distance is about 1000miles...it's very conveniently doable with overnight stay. Stay at Hilton Head, Savannah or any other beautiful town on the way.

I've done NJ to Key west road trip many times.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Make sure the auto-train uses enclosed car. I've seen on this forum that someone shipped his car via train and tiny metal fragments inserted into the body paint. Those things were rail-dust and started getting rusted.

On the other hand...Miami(assuming farthest) to DC distance is about 1000miles...it's very conveniently doable with overnight stay. Stay at Hilton Head, Savannah or any other beautiful town on the way.

I've done NJ to Key west road trip many times.
Thanks for the heads up.

I drove my accord to DC for my move and i definitely wouldn't want to do that again lol. My Z4 is still back home and plan on just taking the train both directions and swap cars. At least on the train i can just hangout or work remote instead of worrying about driving and such
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00