ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
MarkMcL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M

Soft Top Not Closing – Red Blinking LED

Thought I would share....

Went to back out the ’06 Z4M Roadster and found the battery dead. Windows down – top down. Battery is ˝ year out of warranty - I decided on a new battery. New battery installed and car starts without issue.

Rain was in the forecast, so I pressed the soft top close button. The top momentarily moves and I get a steady red blinking light on the center console.

Cycled thru open and close with the same results.

Fast forward days later after searching forums on both sides of the pond… and I can’t find anything similar.

Let’s try this… disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and try again. Can’t hurt right? Similar results.

As I sit in the driver’s seat contemplating what to do next (WTF Now?)… my thought was windows?

So, I raised both of windows all the way, pressed the close button:

- Both windows lowered half way.

- The top closes and it latches like before.

-Cycled it several times and all seems back to normal.

Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      07-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Every 4 years, new battery. Solves many problems with this electronically cantankerous child of ours.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

For those that are smarter than most to us....

Why would closing the windows clear the top not closing??
      07-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I can see how the modules that control the power windows and the soft top would get "confused". Once every two months or so when I open my driver's door from the outside, the window will open fully and when I shut the door it will close fully. It is possible that some sequence of events causes this to happen (I often will close the top via turning the key in the door) but I haven't done any testing and the sequence hasn't become clear to me. Some things in life should be left as a mystery.

How about this. When you press and hold the "open top" button its first or second command seems to be to roll down the windows for a certain period of time. I don't doubt that if you had the windows almost fully down with the soft top up and you pressed the "open top" button this could cause the modules to be confused. Add into this perhaps a marginal battery with non-optimal voltage levels and who knows.

This car is has a number of quirks while still remaining very analog. I've come to embrace them, but with regards to its electronics I've decided to always have a good condition battery in the car so I can cross that off the list of suspects.
Appreciate 0