ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

blue pictures :(

I was down in new york city for a few days last weekend, taking in the sights and snapping alot of pictures with my newly acquired T2i. What I didnt realize till after the trip was that the white balance was not set to auto. I think it was on "fluorescent" so most of my outdoor shots have a real bad blue tint to them.

Is there an easy way to correct them all in a batch??
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

What program are you using. Pretty much all photo editing software allows for batch changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

If you shot in RAW, it should be no problem to change the white balance if you have Lightroom, Photoshop or similar. Elements may do it, but I don't have Elements, so I can't comment on that.

I think you can still change the white balance if all you shot was JPEG, but I think it is a little harder. I shoot in RAW+JPEG on my Nikon. I look at the JPEGs to determine if composition and focus are good enough to keep the shot. I find it much faster to review my pictures on my computer this way vs. opening every single RAW file.

If I keep the picture, then I'll use the RAW file for any corrections.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
bolty
/r/trees
Rep

I did not shoot in raw.

My photo editing has been limited to gimp and image magick. I have been fooling around with some shots but Iam not finding it too easy. A painful lesson learned - shoot in raw.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
I did not shoot in raw.

My photo editing has been limited to gimp and image magick. I have been fooling around with some shots but Iam not finding it too easy. A painful lesson learned - shoot in raw.
Lesson learned: Check your white balance. Everyone makes these kind of mistakes. Don't worry about it. Get a decent photo editing program. Post up one of your pictures and let us have a crack at it.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
bolty
/r/trees
Rep

Here are a few of the bluer shots. Click for larger size.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

And this one is very common to my shots, overly dark dark areas, and washed out hazy light areas. What am I doing wrong?

View post on imgur.com

Thanks again for all the help and tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I love these! No offense. Wrong WB settings are annoying as hell. I just like comparing my pchop'ing to that of others. It's also interesting to see the differences in preference.

I only recently started shooting in RAW, but it is very easy to correct for in correct WB with them. That aside, are you able to make a 'Curves' adjustment in any of the programs you use? Gimp should have an adjustment for that. Playing around with the blue channel in the Curves adjustment window will be your friend here....especially for the midranges.

Here's a quick attempt from me. Click on the resized images to see the full sized image. I did not sharpen the full sized images at all. Looks like a tad bit too much yellow in my 1st attempt, but oh well. I had blinders on getting the blues out.

Before:

After:

The bulk of what I did was a curves adjustment. However, here is what I did:

1. ever so slight exposure adjustment.
2. curves adjustment (this is what did the bulk of the work).
2. tiny shadow adjustment (because I'm addicted to it).
3. slight tweak to levels.
4. saturation (I tweaked it per color channel so the blues didn't come back overpowering).

The shadow and level tweaks were mainly for contrast and getting a little added detail. Critique is welcome.

edit:
tried another one real quick...

Before:

After:

Last edited by bosstones; 09-12-2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: quick attempt at another
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Jeff, those look pretty good for a quickie. OP, If you use a mac, you can easily adjust them iPhoto. In this one, I was able to adjust the underexposed foreground and the overexposed clouds/sky. I also changed the hue to eliminate a lot of the blue from where it didn't belong. This is easily done in other programs as well. Sorry, I don't know how to make links to the bigger pics.
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
Here are a few of the bluer shots. Click for larger size.

And this one is very common to my shots, overly dark dark areas, and washed out hazy light areas. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for all the help and tips.
polarizer filter

You can pick one up at almost any camera store for around $40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
polarizer filter

You can pick one up at almost any camera store for around $40.
circular or linear? I'm sure that question will come up.
      09-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
circular or linear? I'm sure that question will come up.
I have a circular. It's really helpful, almost never have to post-process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i don't want to start a new thread so i'll ask my question here since I googled polorized filter and saw an article that talked about the sunny 16 rule.

if you are in aperture priority mode, is there a way that you can still manually control the shutter speed? I don't have my camera with me right now and I can't recall. I know that I can adjust the "exposure" level to -2 -1 0 1 2 but I think that's different from the shutter speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In aperature priority, the camera picks the shutter speed. In program mode, some cameras let you choose between different aperature and shutter speed combinations but the aperature and shutter speeds are chosen by the camera....you only choose the combo.
      09-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
unfortunately you were shooting in the tungsten white balance. Sunlight is very blue and that blue needs to be balanced out by orange. If you wanna check it out, go outside and close your eyes and block out any sunlight for a little while. Once you open your eyes, you will see that everything seems to look a lot bluer but you will see that change.
Our eyes have a built in a sort of auto white balance. The sunlight setting puts an orange filter on to equalize the color so it looks natural (this is what our eyes do, they cut the blue down so the color is corrected). When shooting under a tungsten setting, the colors are reversed. If you want to fix these photos, its a lot easier than you might think. Put an orange color overlay on the image to balance the color out. Change the opacity of that overlay to tune in the right color balance.
      10-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

LR 3, batch edits like that are easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
change the settings
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #17
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
change the settings
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Shooting in RAW not only will give you complete WB flexibility, but it'll give you more dynamic range, particularly if you "Expose Right". That means expose to the right of the histogram. Many of those images were in bright sunlight, but you still might have exposed them at +1/3EV to bring out more shadow detail. The jpeg will look too bright, but when you process you pull the brightness level down to the correct level.

Software like LR or DxO's Optics Pro allows you to pull out shadow detail with the click of a button. Also, you can correct for those geometric distortions when you shoot buildings with the sensor not perpendicular to the buildings. Some like those tilting in distortions, but I tend to remove them from my building images. It's easy to fix, even with Elements.

Don't atomatically jump to the polarizer. If the sun is behind you, then the sky will generally stay blue without a polarizing filter. You might consider keeping a UV filter on to reduce haze. If the sun is across your subject or somewhat behind it, then you'll get that wash out. Shooting in the golden hours, late and early in the day will minimize the wash out, but always be aware of the sun's position relative to your subject.

You're off to a great start. You've got a great eye for balance and composition.

Dave
      11-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Shooting in RAW not only will give you complete WB flexibility, but it'll give you more dynamic range, particularly if you "Expose Right". That means expose to the right of the histogram. Many of those images were in bright sunlight, but you still might have exposed them at +1/3EV to bring out more shadow detail. The jpeg will look too bright, but when you process you pull the brightness level down to the correct level.

Software like LR or DxO's Optics Pro allows you to pull out shadow detail with the click of a button. Also, you can correct for those geometric distortions when you shoot buildings with the sensor not perpendicular to the buildings. Some like those tilting in distortions, but I tend to remove them from my building images. It's easy to fix, even with Elements.

Don't atomatically jump to the polarizer. If the sun is behind you, then the sky will generally stay blue without a polarizing filter. You might consider keeping a UV filter on to reduce haze. If the sun is across your subject or somewhat behind it, then you'll get that wash out. Shooting in the golden hours, late and early in the day will minimize the wash out, but always be aware of the sun's position relative to your subject.

You're off to a great start. You've got a great eye for balance and composition.

Dave
^ what Dave said.

Also...I always keep a UV filter on all my lenses. If nothing else, I'd rather have it get scratched accidentally than the lens itself.