ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

FCAB Install: need help

Are there any tips/tricks to getting the oem FCAB back on the control arm?

I ready the few threads here so I marked the control arm prior to removal of the old FCAB. Got the old one off with a tie rod puller, but can't seem to macguyver anything together to get the new one on. Auto parts store rentals was no help either. I'm at the point of basically buying some slender brackets (and maybe machining or threading as needed) and LONG bolts to get it on. Does anyone have any quicker/easier tips? I thought with some lube and elbow grease I could get it into position, but I was very wrong lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Going to try a band clamp. https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...hing+fcab+tool

Just curious why not use lubricant? I already sprayed some...

Will also try soap.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I believe the theory is that you want the arm to bind in the bushing when done. Soap and mineral spirits dry out and stop lubricating. Oils and proper lubricants do not.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
I believe the theory is that you want the arm to bind in the bushing when done. Soap and mineral spirits dry out and stop lubricating. Oils and proper lubricants do not.
Yea, that makes sense. I'll clean out the lube and use dish soap. Haven't gotten around to trying it - hoping the hose clamp trick works.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Hose clamp worked like a charm with a 7.2V impact. Now I'm struggling with what should be the hard part, aligning the lollipop back to its mount points. I was able to get one bolt partially threaded, can't get the second. I can hit the bolt that is partially threaded with the air impact in hopes of forcing the lollipop to align, but I'm scared of stripping the threads instead. Can anyone provide their opinion (I'm kind of hoping everyone had to do it that way to alleviate my concern).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Finished up. I wrestled the control arm/fcab around until I was able to get both bolts threaded on. I then turned each one 3/4 turn at a time to align the lollipop. Felt way more comfortable using the threads to align the lollipop when both bolts were able to be used. To minimize shear on the threads, I sprayed wd40 on the bolt threads and used dish soap on both mating sides of the bushing. The other side took 10 minutes, lined up perfectly first shot. Go figure.

Some notes for those looking to do this quick/on the cheap. To get the bushing off the control arm, I used a 2 arm puller like the largest one shown below. The hose clamp size needed to get the bushing back on the control arm is a 5"-7" hose clamp.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The bolt misalignment may be a sign of the need for a front wheel alignment, but you were going to do that anyways, right!
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 02-23-2020 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes sir! I swapped shocks and springs prior to the FCABs so alignment is next.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I’ve done this enough times on the older front strut designs that the Z4s still use, and EVERY TIME it takes some finangling to get the bolt holes lined up.

I don’t know if you tried this, but what usually works for me is to put a floor jack underneath the kingpin assembly, and apply light pressure. I don’t know why, but it worked every time for me. Just enough to compress the springs by maybe 1/2”, then the lollipop lines right up. Doesn’t take much, and if you have a good floor jack with a true deadman’s handle, you can move the kingpin up and down a quarter inch at a time and it’ll magically line up.

Oh make sure the sway bars are disconnected. I made that mistake once and couldn’t figure out why one side goes in so easy and the other was such a struggle.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I’ve done this enough times on the older front strut designs that the Z4s still use, and EVERY TIME it takes some finangling to get the bolt holes lined up.

I don’t know if you tried this, but what usually works for me is to put a floor jack underneath the kingpin assembly, and apply light pressure. I don’t know why, but it worked every time for me. Just enough to compress the springs by maybe 1/2”, then the lollipop lines right up. Doesn’t take much, and if you have a good floor jack with a true deadman’s handle, you can move the kingpin up and down a quarter inch at a time and it’ll magically line up.

Oh make sure the sway bars are disconnected. I made that mistake once and couldn’t figure out why one side goes in so easy and the other was such a struggle.
I did try using a jack (I read your thread and comments in other threads on this topic). Where I fell short, though, was I did not compress the spring - I simply used the jack to pivot the control arm up into "position" - however, I ultimately did not use a jack to get it done because it also reduced the freedom and range of motion of the control arm compared to no jack. I also did not disconnect the sway - that did not occur to me, but makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 0