ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Light Out Indicator on Z4M Roadster

Hi. My 2008 Z4 is showing a light out indicator, UNTIL the headlight function is chosen on the light switch. All the lights, including the headlights, are working, as far as I can tell. When the headlight function is chosen, the indicator disappears and stays away even when the switch is returned to the other choices. Any hints on what I should be checking or replacing?
Thanks,
Ted
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

It could be that one of your parking lamps (ambers in front, red in rear) or brake lamps (don't forget the "aggressive braking" ones) or side marker lights have some corrosion that is causing increased resistance which is causing this. When you apply power, the light works and the Lamp Test thinks all is ok.

You'll have to go one by one through the bulbs and check the contacts. Might as well have some replacement bulbs on hand to swap out the old ones that are a little hard to reach (ambers in the front under the headlights, for example). Those aren't too bad to swap as long as you use the BMW supplied screwdriver from the trunk kit.

My $.02.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, very much!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Check daytime running light bulb if all other lights are working.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Check daytime running light bulb if all other lights are working.
Along these lines, does the "lamp out" indicator go out when you first turn on just the parking lights? Or does it not go out until you turn on the headlights as well? If it doesn't go out until you turn on the headlights then that gives you a little more direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Turning on the parking lights leaves the "lamp out" indicator lit. It goes out only when headlights are turned on. Thanks!! Should warm up enough in the garage, shortly, to experiment further.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These are xenon headlights on the Z4M. "Bulb out indicator" stays lit until the headlights are on, then it goes out. BUT, I have now coded out the voltage check for the headlights using Carly, and the bulb out indicator stays UNLIT. Yay!! Unfortunately, there is no way to chose left or right side to code out using Carly. It's both or nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion concerning which (if any) parts to replace, or how to further diagnose the problem.
Thanks for all your help!!
Ted
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

Nice to know you can do that with Carly.

OEM part prices via RealOEM (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0766) are steep but if you shop around you can buy the parts (control unit, ignitor) ridiculously cheaper and see if one of them solves the problem.

Or could just keep it coded out with iCarly and tune in for the next episode of....."EUROPEAN CAR OWNERSHIP!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
These are xenon headlights on the Z4M. "Bulb out indicator" stays lit until the headlights are on, then it goes out. BUT, I have now coded out the voltage check for the headlights using Carly, and the bulb out indicator stays UNLIT. Yay!! Unfortunately, there is no way to chose left or right side to code out using Carly. It's both or nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion concerning which (if any) parts to replace, or how to further diagnose the problem.
Thanks for all your help!!
Ted
Sounds like your ballast is going out. I replaced my ballast due to water in headlight. I purchased the ballast from Amazon. It is cheap replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0