ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

BMW may not build a successor to the Z4 or 8 Series Coupe

https://driving.ca/bmw/z4/auto-news/...8-series-coupe

The German automaker is making plenty of cuts, and its slower-selling sports cars will likely feel the axe first

Cuts at BMW mean a raft of vehicles from its lineup are scheduled to be axed, and the executioner’s list may include a lot of our favourites, Automobile reports.

Say good-bye to the next-generation Z4 (not the current one). The joint venture between Toyota and BMW will be the last you’ll see of the open-top sports car, if the magazine’s report can be believed.

Convertible and coupe versions of the 8 Series two-door will apparently also be leaving us, leaving only the Gran Coupe (four-door). The regular-wheelbase 7 Series will allegedly be nixed, leaving only the long-wheelbase.

The reason for the death of so many models is simple yet complicated, but it all revolves around money. BMW barely makes any profit on vehicles under 40,000 Euros, which pretty much ends everything smaller than a 3 Series that isn’t a performance car. The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, 2 Series, and lower trim 3 Series models could all be axed, Automobile says, and the small X2 CUV is also likely to have a shorter lifespan.

The brand has also been in a decline the last few years, with shares decreasing 47 per cent since 2015. The car division’s earnings dropped by 22 per cent, and the return on investment fell from 9.2 to 7.2 percent; that number is estimated to drop another 4.5 to 6.5 per cent for 2019.

BMW is also in a serious bind over reducing the carbon emissions of its whole fleet 25 per cent by 2021, lest it incur heavy fines; that’s also contributing to the death of some less-fuel efficient cars and needless gas-powered ones.

Although a lot of models are expected to die, there are still new vehicles planned. A new X8 with M variant is coming, as well as a more conventional replacement for the i3 that won’t be all carbon-fibre.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

They keep killing it with every generation. But looks like it's immortal
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I think if G29 sales are lukewarm at best then sadly yes, that may likely be the end of the line. I expect that will serve to make well cared for examples of the previous Z3 and Z4 cars a bit more valuable.

However, if G29 sales numbers turn out to be a bright spot in BMW's sales results, then BMW would be unwise not to look at a new post-G29 Z4, or at the very least, continuing the G29 platform for a few more years, perhaps with a second refresh instead of a complete redesign. Bear in mind that a lot can change in the economy in 7 years that will affect what folks want, so even though sports car demand is sluggish now, it may be very brisk in a few years.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Interesting how this affects the nex-gen Supra.

I guess this only helps the value of the E86/85 M cars? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

What is wrong with these people. Hint: Honda->Acura, Toyota->Lexus. Toss out another brand with lower sales figures and more panache. People will know they're BMWs.

On second thought maybe they should push the SUVs and so on into that pot and keep making "BMW" = "driver's car."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

C8
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

increase the size of the Kindney grills even more!! that will solve it.

Funny how no one mentioned that the most of the new models look like complete dog shit.
gds52886.00
WickedNy225.00
wdb4713.50
      08-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Doesn't bother me because I don't like the electric steering and overall numbness in latest generation BMWs...so there is very little chance I will ever buy newer car
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

Need a manual transmission. NOT a shiftable automatic. Glad the went beck to a soft top as the hard top took up too much space in the trunk so the trunk was useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Not unexpected, BMW added in so many new models and sub-models in recent years, it was inevitable that some would get axed, and as much as we all love our E85/E86s, they never really sold very well, especially toward the end of their life cycle.
Let's face it, The last 2-3 generation Zs have just not been very good selling cars when new, there definitely is a bigger demand for used ones, but someone still needs to buy them new.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17164.50
      08-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Well, looking at how uncertain the development of the g29 was, and how long it took to get it finanically completed, I'm not surprised that predictions now are that there will be no successor.
2 seat convertable cars are extremely unpopular in today's market, and bmw has lots of competition. They also can't compete with 4cyl cars against the competition (on performance).
Sure that has the 'positive' effect that the z4 also has a nice 6cyl in their lineup, but that hurts bmw company co2 emissions for which they have to pay (literally, EU EEA fleet average rules)

Also Trump trying to raise the trade barriers against europe also doesn't help I imagine.
But I can imagine that BMW may be even diversing their models once again, but not to find another niche but specific models for the US market (build in Spartanburg) and specific models for the EU/world market, like VW does. That is something I'd try to experiment with, especially with the cheaper car segment for both markets.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-01-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:23 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Well, looking at how uncertain the development of the g29 was, and how long it took to get it finanically completed, I'm not surprised that predictions now are that there will be no successor.
2 seat convertable cars are extremely unpopular in today's market, and bmw has lots of competition. They also can't compete with 4cyl cars against the competition (on performance).
Sure that has the 'positive' effect that the z4 also has a nice 6cyl in their lineup, but that hurts bmw company co2 emissions for which they have to pay (literally, EU EEA fleet average rules)

Also Trump trying to raise the trade barriers against europe also doesn't help I imagine.
But I can imagine that BMW may be even diversing their models once again, but not to find another niche but specific models for the US market (build in Spartanburg) and specific models for the EU/world market, like VW does. That is something I'd try to experiment with, especially with the cheaper car segment for both markets.
When a car company sells a very popular C-segment sports sedan in 2-door(coupe) and 4-door (sedan) variants within the same chassis designation (i.e. 3-Series) then in the next generation splits the 2-door coupes into a new chassis designation (4-series) and the 4-door sedans into a separate chassis variant (3-series), THEN creates a 5-door model ("GT") from the 2-door chassis variant, you know there is a problem. It really has nothing to do with trade policy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0