ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

PlayStation 5

UPDATE 03/17/2020:
Look alive boys and girls, official reveal tomorrow, 03/18/2020!

https://bgr.com/2020/03/17/ps5-relea...-launch-event/

************************************************** *******************************

PS5 name has not been confirmed but that's what I'll call it until announced otherwise.

Some things are slowly starting to leak out so I figured we could get a thread going on the ongoing leaks and rumors.

Here are some released highlights:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/5/18...mpatibility-e3

"Sony is skipping E3 this year, but the company is still offering up some new details about the PlayStation 5: it’ll come with an SSD by default, instead of a slower HDD like the PS4; it’ll support 4K graphics at a 120Hz refresh rate, for a much smoother look on displays that can handle the faster speed; and game saves will in some way be able to transfer between console generations, so you can pick up where you left off when you start playing a game again on the new console.

The new details were reported by CNET, which spoke with Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan. Ryan also said that Sony plans to take the PlayStation Now game streaming service “to the next level later this year.” Though he didn’t expand on what that meant, Sony did just sign a deal to work with Microsoft on game streaming tech, seemingly to help the two console makers compete against newcomers to the field, like Google.

Some of these features are designed to make the transition between console generations easier. It’s not clear exactly how you’ll be able to pick up a game on a new console and continue playing — Ryan suggests it could be because you’re streaming the game on PlayStation Now, or because the PS5 is backward compatible with PS4 games — but the point is to clear the hurdles to early adoption.

“When everything is networked and everybody is connected and everybody is friends, the opportunity — with backwards compatibility — to migrate that community in a more efficient manner I think is massively more attractive for gamers and for us than at any point in the past,” Ryan told the Financial Times.

Sony’s PlayStation 5 is expected to arrive next year. Sony hasn’t made any formal announcements about the console yet, but it has revealed a handful of specs and details in interviews executives have done in the lead-up to E3. So far, we know the PS5 will support 8K graphics and run off of an eight-core CPU based on AMD’s Ryzen chips, with a GPU based on AMD’s Radeon hardware. It’ll support ray tracing, and there’ll be a chip for “3D audio.”"

Sony also displayed the loading speed of the PS5 development unit vs. a PS4 Pro.

Last edited by mirob; 03-17-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
Joe2402923.50
Ickdeep5703.50
      06-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
What I'm hoping for from the PS5, starting with most important:

1) Everquest Online return since it was killed after SOE was bought out and trashed by Daybreak Game Company.
2) PCI-E SSD (not SATA based) for faster data transfer (SATAIII is great and all, but 2k Mbps is much nicer than 600 Mbps).
3) minimum of 1TB, but prefer 2TB
4) Better push for PS VR game development (had a PSVR but returned it after 3 days because the only game I liked was AC7 and that was it).
5) integrated IR sensor so I can use a single remote for everything
6) included verticle stand so I don't have to buy a $20 one from Best Buy
7) sold in a portable carrying case (not hard to sell it in durable, plastic case that I can stow it in for trips) instead of the cheap cardboard based packaging.

Some of these is asking a lot and would kill the reasonable selling price, I completely understand. But no harm trying

One last thing and I know will never happen, would be a user upgradable console. I don't mean the ability to upgrade the storage drive internally. I'm talking about a similar concept to building your own PC (lets face it, consoles are just mini PCs with proprietary parts). Have a baseline console for sale for $300 that the end user is able to upgrade the processor and GPU and RAM and HDD/SDD. Certainly the processor and GPU would need to be proprietary to an extent to allow 100% compatibility for the PS OS and the games developed for the console. But why let your console generation fall to the wayside for 7 years before introducing the next console? Why not sell upgradable pieces that can improve the console as the technology develops. Certainly has to be cheaper from a R&D perspective, and would allow for an additional gold mine in upgrade services that Sony could market.

Or just buy a PC and run a playstation emmulator...... F***ing hate PC fan boys (had to throw this in because I know someone is going to comment on it)

Last edited by Joe240; 06-06-2019 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Lol I hear you, I just want to turn it on and play. A good casual experience and I have no interest in building a noisy and gaudy machine to play for an hour or two here and there. That said, my current pro and 4k set get moved to the bedroom and ps5 takes it's place alongside a new tv to support new resolution capability.

I like the talk of saves being transferable and better hd.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
What I'm hoping for from the PS5, starting with most important:

1) Everquest Online return since it was killed after SOE was bought out and trashed by Daybreak Game Company.
2) PCI-E SSD (not SATA based) for faster data transfer (SATAIII is great and all, but 2k Mbps is much nicer than 600 Mbps).
3) minimum of 1TB, but prefer 2TB
4) Better push for PS VR game development (had a PSVR but returned it after 3 days because the only game I liked was AC7 and that was it).
5) integrated IR sensor so I can use a single remote for everything
6) included verticle stand so I don't have to buy a $20 one from Best Buy
7) sold in a portable carrying case (not hard to sell it in durable, plastic case that I can stow it in for trips) instead of the cheap cardboard based packaging.

Some of these is asking a lot and would kill the reasonable selling price, I completely understand. But no harm trying

One last thing and I know will never happen, would be a user upgradable console. I don't mean the ability to upgrade the storage drive internally. I'm talking about a similar concept to building your own PC (lets face it, consoles are just mini PCs with proprietary parts). Have a baseline console for sale for $300 that the end user is able to upgrade the processor and GPU and RAM and HDD/SDD. Certainly the processor and GPU would need to be proprietary to an extent to allow 100% compatibility for the PS OS and the games developed for the console. But why let your console generation fall to the wayside for 7 years before introducing the next console? Why not sell upgradable pieces that can improve the console as the technology develops. Certainly has to be cheaper from a R&D perspective, and would allow for an additional gold mine in upgrade services that Sony could market.

Or just buy a PC and run a playstation emmulator...... F***ing hate PC fan boys (had to throw this in because I know someone is going to comment on it)
Not trying to burst your bubble but..

5) most people don't want another input type .. especially ir. Sony is pushing the ability for the ps to control your tv.
6) most people use the stand horizontally. It's also better for heat dissipation.
7) most people leave the ps at home. A durable case will not only cost more but make the shipping more costly as well because of weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
Not trying to burst your bubble but..

5) most people don't want another input type .. especially ir. Sony is pushing the ability for the ps to control your tv.
6) most people use the stand horizontally. It's also better for heat dissipation.
7) most people leave the ps at home. A durable case will not only cost more but make the shipping more costly as well because of weight.
I’m aware of all of this. Why i said it’d be asking a lot. And the PS4 pro does control my TV, except switching inputs between it and my Apple TV. Also when I use my Apple TV, I use my LG tv remote because it can do full control of the Apple TV, full control of the tv, and some controls on the PS4P because of HDMI 1.4

It’s just be nice if I could hit the power button on my tv remote and it shuts the console off as well (current it does not).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

PS5 Leaks/Renders

Pictures/renders in link.

Per BGR:
https://bgr.com/2019/08/23/ps5-relea...design-patent/

"A Sony patent found recently shows what can only be a gaming rig, and we soon learned the drawing wasn’t just a concept. According to a deleted tweet from a video game developer, it’s the PlayStation 5 dev kit’s actual design. While it’s too early to tell whether the dev kit and the final PS5 will share the same curves, we already have a few gorgeous renders imagining what a PS5 based on the leaked design might look like.

Let’s start with the image that Sony included in the documentation filed with Brazilian regulators:

The same blog that found the Sony patent, LetsGoDigital, went on to create the renders you’ll see below, offering us a great look at Sony’s design.

Rather than the dull black and white imagery of the original drawing, these renders offer us a much better look at what the PS5 could be like in real life, assuming Sony uses this design for the next-gen console. The renders also take advantage of all the details Sony provided, aside from the PS5 and SSD logos (and that creative LetsGoDigital watermarks slapped on it).

On the front, the device features a bunch of buttons and ports as well as an opening for discs. The V-shaped cutout is rather unusual and certainly differs from the more boring PS4 design. The V might be a clever way to signal this is, in fact, the PS5. It could also help with ventilation and improve the overall look of the console, assuming LED lights would indeed shine through those openings. Then again, it’s what’s inside the PS5 that matters more than what the console will look like, and we already know the PS5 will be a beast when it comes to performance. That much, Sony has already confirmed.

That said, it’s too early to love or hate the concept, as Sony is far from confirming any details about the PS5’s design. At best, the console will be unveiled next February during a special PlayStation press event."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Lmao they've discovered SSDs
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
rutilebros
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi Wagon

I still have more than a year to decide if I'm going to get one on the initial release or stick with my PS4 Pro while waiting for all the reviews and games to come.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

First gen always seems to have issues. Excited for the release but might just wait for the 2nd gen to come out before buying it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I'm pretty sure PS4 Pro will last for at least 2-3 years after release of PS5, a lot of good games are there and with likely higher cost for the new console it will take time for PS5 to take over the console market. It will be interesting new console for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My thoughts exactly. Why I did a 1TB SDD upgrade to my PS4P couple days ago. Only have 500GB of data/games on the console so didn’t see a need to go 2TB. Much faster load times and navigating the home screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Lmao they've discovered SSDs
Yeah one of the first things I did to my PS4 Pro was exchange the drive for SSD. It really woke the machine up from boot time to game loading etc. Plus all my games are digital now so I needed extra storage. I added a usb SSD to extend the storage later on.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
First gen always seems to have issues. Excited for the release but might just wait for the 2nd gen to come out before buying it.
Last two gens I bought the original version and then bought the “new and improved” versions of the PS3 and PS4. This time I might wait one year or whatever it is to buy the refreshed model. What’s nice is now the PS5 will finally offer backward compatibility. I was done with the platform if I was going to have to reconstitute my library again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Last two gens I bought the original version and then bought the “new and improved” versions of the PS3 and PS4. This time I might wait one year or whatever it is to buy the refreshed model. What’s nice is now the PS5 will finally offer backward compatibility. I was done with the platform if I was going to have to reconstitute my library again.
If I’m not mistaken, it was a hardware limitation for backward compatibility because the games were coded for specific processors (CPU/GPU) architecture that the new consoles couldn’t read.

They probably could’ve added decoders that would’ve allowed backward compatibility, but the hardware probably wasn’t strong enough to handle the constant load (read not enough RAM for both the OS and decoder to run simultaneously). And you couldn’t install the previous OS onto the new system because the OS is designed to look for specific hardware IDs to verify it’s a Sony Console. Prevents people from using the PlayStation OS on PCs and still being able to play the console games, ensuring Sony still gets their ROI for manufacturing the console.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I’m not mistaken, it was a hardware limitation for backward compatibility because the games were coded for specific processors (CPU/GPU) architecture that the new consoles couldn’t read.

They probably could’ve added decoders that would’ve allowed backward compatibility, but the hardware probably wasn’t strong enough to handle the constant load (read not enough RAM for both the OS and decoder to run simultaneously). And you couldn’t install the previous OS onto the new system because the OS is designed to look for specific hardware IDs to verify it’s a Sony Console. Prevents people from using the PlayStation OS on PCs and still being able to play the console games, ensuring Sony still gets their ROI for manufacturing the console.
Yes, I understood the same limitations but the result was the same for the consumer.

It’s also a shame they will probably sell or disband PS Vue, but that’s another story. I have been a Sony fan (cameras, Walkman, headphones etc) for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Yes, I understood the same limitations but the result was the same for the consumer.

It’s also a shame they will probably sell or disband PS Vue, but that’s another story. I have been a Sony fan (cameras, Walkman, headphones etc) for a very long time.
Had no idea they were dropping PS Vue. I'm a customer as well and they recently raised the monthly cost. Nothing hurtful when compared to the cable company, but still significantly more than the other live streaming companies. That's a shame, they have the best interface of all companies that I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #17
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

When they release PS5 & a new Grand Theft Auto, I literally don't want to interact with another human for 6 months.
Appreciate 2
Joe2402923.50
premier3is1627.00
      10-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
When they release PS5 & a new Grand Theft Auto, I literally don't want to interact with another human for 6 months.
This happened to me when I got Red Dead Redemption 2
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #19
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Had no idea they were dropping PS Vue. I'm a customer as well and they recently raised the monthly cost. Nothing hurtful when compared to the cable company, but still significantly more than the other live streaming companies. That's a shame, they have the best interface of all companies that I've seen.
I have been testing YouTube TV and generally like it but doesn’t have bein sports which is how I watch MotoGP and F1.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
when will PS5 be in stores?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
when will PS5 be in stores?
Dec 2020
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907374.50
      11-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #22
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

They are claiming the GPU is on par with a 2070 super which is pretty nice for the price point.
Appreciate 0