ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Would cdv/ssk void transmission warranty?

Would installing the Zeckhausen CDV and/or a UUC short shift kit void the warranty on the transmission? They relate to the clutch and gearshift but I can see SA's arguing that they are part of the overall drivetrain and would thus void the tranny warranty. Anyone have any experiences to share?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

I can see them arguing it as well. If you have transmission problems you can always revert to stock and take it in. Worth it for the peace of mind. If you have the Zeck Racing CDV I dont think they will look under the car to see that you replaced it. SSK would be easier to detect if its a knowledgeable tech/sa
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Only if they can prove it caused a failure. Since both components improve the original parts I don't see it happening.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Only if they can prove it caused a failure. Since both components improve the original parts I don't see it happening.
But they would argue it on the basis that its aftermarket and as far as they are concerned, if it isn't Geniune BMW parts on there, it isn't an improvement.

They could claim it was your modifications that caused the damage, and as far as warranty is concerned, its been tampered with and therefore void.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Exclamation

This is what the law says about none aftermarket parts...
Not sure if this helps you out..

U.S. Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Thanks! I was actually aware of the Magnuson-Moss act and was just curious whether anyone has had experience resolving any disputes with the dealer specifically regarding these mods. On the surface it seems like a fair argument that by removing the CDV, essentially a mechanism to dampen shocks to the drivetrain, the warranty on the transmission would be voided. Similarly, since the SSK is built to facilitate quicker and more aggressive shifting, an argument could be made there as well that it caused more wear and tear on the transmission.

I'm not sure how one would go about proving that they did or did not cause the failure. In both cases, failure of the components could easily be caused by driving like a dumbass, regardless of whether mods were installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i have both components in installed and i havnt had any problems with my service. My SA actually likes to mod cars so i share with him what ive done. Regarding the warrenty if in the unlikely event that something happens to my tranny ill just put the stock shifter back in before i take it to the dealer. So of a fraud. But better than paying for a new tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^+1
In the event of an issue (however unlikely) restore to OE before going in.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
But they would argue it on the basis that its aftermarket and as far as they are concerned, if it isn't Geniune BMW parts on there, it isn't an improvement.

They could claim it was your modifications that caused the damage, and as far as warranty is concerned, its been tampered with and therefore void.
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I don't see either of those components causing a failure, but if there is an unexplained failure in the clutch or gearbox you could be out of luck.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I don't see either of those components causing a failure, but if there is an unexplained failure in the clutch or gearbox you could be out of luck.
That's what I mean, I don't see a CDV or an SSK causing damage to the tranny, if anything the CDV might increased wear on the clutch, but you'd be paying for that anyways as wear and tear isnt covered.

But say a synchro goes bad or your tranny doesn't shift from 1st to 2nd or something, then you may be SOL as far as warranty is concerned.

But that's how it is with any mods.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0