ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2024, 10:15 AM   #1
mixtli
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive F30, Z4 2.5 E85

At my wits end! Z4 2003 2.5L E85

Hi guys,

Please help! My Z4 is driving me mad! Forgive the pun. I've just brought it out for the summer and it's all gone a bit crazy!

1. Sidelights work ok but switching to main beam switches on the full beam too and I can't use the stalk switch to turn them off. The Blue full beam light remains lit on the dash. I can't flash the lights. So it's side lights or full beam. Nothing in between.

2. ABS, Park Light, Tyre pressure light, traction control light all lit up in orange on the dash. I'm hoping it's all related. I've checked the tyre pressures as i understand it can create havoc if a tyre is badly under-inflated.

3. No response from the key fob. Alarm doesn't activate, doors don't lock/unlock. Fob seems ok. (Relays recently changed on the BCM (GM5) module.

It still drives perfectly (but clearly no ABS) so it's such a shame it's being a pain in the arse!

Please please help before I drive it into a lake!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
I highly recommend that you purchase an obd2 usb cable and install and learn to use INPA/BMW Tools or purchase a compatible obd2 code reader at a minimum.

These cars are great and quite affordable to own when you’re able to fix them yourself
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:45 AM   #3
mixtli
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive F30, Z4 2.5 E85

Can anyone recomment a good app for android? I have just taken delivery of a bluetooth OBD connector but need an app that will let me read the codes and if it can clear the codes too that would be a great advantage! Has anyone found any to be better than others?

Your thoughts on the issues I've listed would be gratefully received too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:13 PM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Best option for Android is Bimmerlink. It's a 1-time purchase (at least at the time I bought it). Carly is also very good - but you need to buy their OBD connector for best results and it's a 1-year license that must be repurchased.

I have both of these, as well as an Autel and INPA. I much prefer the latter two. INPA has the biggest learning curve, but is the cheapest and packs the most features.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtli View Post
Can anyone recomment a good app for android? I have just taken delivery of a bluetooth OBD connector but need an app that will let me read the codes and if it can clear the codes too that would be a great advantage! Has anyone found any to be better than others?

Your thoughts on the issues I've listed would be gratefully received too.
For android:
  • bimmerlink AFAIK, it only supports Z4 2009+
  • Carly is a scam since it requires you to purchase their overpriced proprietary OBD interface, then they charge you each year for the privilege to use it, smh.
  • bimmergeeks protool I hear is really good, but I believe you pay a licence fee each year.
Personally, I use INPA/ISTA/NCSExpert on an older laptop with a $15 OBD cable.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 08:38 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like a rodent chewed on several wire harnesses over the winter. The ABS, traction control, and TPMS I bet are all tied to the right-side wire harness that mounts to the right-side strut tower. It might be hard to see since your car is right-hand drive. I had a rat chew on that harness and it triggered the same warning lights on the dash.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:10 PM   #7
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtli View Post
Hi guys,

Please help! My Z4 is driving me mad! Forgive the pun. I've just brought it out for the summer and it's all gone a bit crazy!

1. Sidelights work ok but switching to main beam switches on the full beam too and I can't use the stalk switch to turn them off. The Blue full beam light remains lit on the dash. I can't flash the lights. So it's side lights or full beam. Nothing in between.

2. ABS, Park Light, Tyre pressure light, traction control light all lit up in orange on the dash. I'm hoping it's all related. I've checked the tyre pressures as i understand it can create havoc if a tyre is badly under-inflated.

3. No response from the key fob. Alarm doesn't activate, doors don't lock/unlock. Fob seems ok. (Relays recently changed on the BCM (GM5) module.

It still drives perfectly (but clearly no ABS) so it's such a shame it's being a pain in the arse!

Please please help before I drive it into a lake!
How's the battery? These cars HATE batteries that are on their way out.

If you haven't driven the car a lot the key may need charged or it lost its programming, you can program it easy without tools just look for instructions. Happened to both of my Z4s.

There most likely isn't an alarm to activate unless it's aftermarket...and if it is aftermarket there may lie your whole issue. Alarm systems are know to cause absolute havoc if on their way out.

I have a feeling all is just battery related, I would go that route first and see how it is. Like another poster said, could be rodents as well. Don't give up, these cars are pretty fuss free...the 2.5i is such an easy engine to work on as well.
Appreciate 0