ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
hummarz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

2004 Z4 3.0. Does Anybody know what this engine noise is?

For the last few weeks, my engine has been making a weird noise when I let the car sit for a few days. Once I start it, it will make the noise while the engine is cold for a few minutes. If I rev it or drive it, then it wont make it anymore. I took the car to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem so they said they could not do anything about it. I finally took a video of it ans showed my service advisor and he said to leave it for a few days so they can try to duplicate the problem. My warranty expires on 9/20/10 so I want to get the problem fixed before the warranty expires. I talked to the service rep and he said it could be the Vanos or something else, originally I thought it migh the lifters (a problem that is happening on the E86), but they said the lifters make a constant ticking noise so that most likely is not the problem. Please help! I posted the video on youtube and here is the link

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Is that a loose and rattling heat shield on an exhaust system component?

I had an '89 VW Wolfsburg Golf that started making a similar sound. It used to go away if the engine was revved up or the car driven. The engine vibration at idle speed would make the heat shield rattle very noisily.

The fix for my Golf was to remove and throw away a heat shield on the catalytic converter. I was cautioned to not leave the car idling if parked on a grassy spot, as the exhaust heat could be enough to catch the grass on fire!

Good luck!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0