ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
skidkid
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4si

tpms elimination

07 3.0si has a tpms light that won't reset for more than a few minutes ever since I bought it. I'm not sure the rear wheels even have the sensors since they have rubber valve stems. Question is can I just turn it off some how, I don't care if it works. I'll figure it out that I have a leak by feel or look?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over my light. That's my lazy "fix".

I put new TPMS sensors in, and they failed a about 12 months later. No way I'm pulling the tires and re-balancing them for this silly government mandated fiasco. (Now, if the feature was fully functioned, with actual pressures displayed, I might bite. That would be cool, and useful as well.)

The ABS sensor "older" method worked just as well without the need for mini radio transmitters, antennas, modules, and the rest of the "will break at some point" pieces. All because most people can't be bothered to check tire pressures, or notice when a tire is down on air (and feel it driving).
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

On my 2006 3.0si, the ABS system monitors differences in rotational speed to determine when a tire is low; it does not use those sensors mounted on the rim.

Interestingly, BMW has gone back to that system again - our 2014 328 XDrive does not have wheel sensors but instead uses the ABS system just as my Z4 does.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-11-2014 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      06-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

There are a few specialty shops that can recode the ecu to turn the TPMS off so you have no light and do not need the sending units or receivers. IIRC EAS offered the service. Sounds like you're missing the sending units in the rear wheels which prevents you from re-setting the TPMS. If I'm correct, our version of the TPMS uses four in-wheel sending units and four receiver units located in the wheel well area.

Last edited by Incompatible; 06-11-2014 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Try to disable it with NCSExpert modifying the KMB module by setting the following:

KBUS_RDC - K-BUS TIRE PRESSURE CONTROL (RDC) = nicht_aktiv - not enabled
AKUSTIK_ASC - AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL (ASC) WARNING GONG = nicht_aktiv - not enabled
Appreciate 1
AK72283.00
      06-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over my light. That's my lazy "fix".

I put new TPMS sensors in, and they failed a about 12 months later. No way I'm pulling the tires and re-balancing them for this silly government mandated fiasco. (Now, if the feature was fully functioned, with actual pressures displayed, I might bite. That would be cool, and useful as well.)

The ABS sensor "older" method worked just as well without the need for mini radio transmitters, antennas, modules, and the rest of the "will break at some point" pieces. All because most people can't be bothered to check tire pressures, or notice when a tire is down on air (and feel it driving).
Were they new new, used new, oem new, ebay new? 12 months seems awfully short. My original ones from 07 are still working but I wonder if the battery only gets used when they're mounted because these wheels are in storage half the year.
      06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Were they new new, used new, oem new, ebay new? 12 months seems awfully short. My original ones from 07 are still working but I wonder if the battery only gets used when they're mounted because these wheels are in storage half the year.
Brand new. Not OEM. RS Technik. Failed like clockwork just after 12 M warranty was over. Pretty dissapointing since they were installed across two sets of wheels. I'd go OEM if doing it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Brand new. Not OEM. RS Technik. Failed like clockwork just after 12 M warranty was over. Pretty dissapointing since they were installed across two sets of wheels. I'd go OEM if doing it again.
How did they fail? I have new rubber on and it is still giving me intermittent TPMS warning light. Then it goes away. Then comes back....kinda like my headlight fail light. But thats an easy fix with turning the headlights on and off a couple times.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
skidkid
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4si

Thanks pungo and everyone else. I just bought the obd cable and software to try and turn it off. I'll be trying to shut that damn light off in a week along with change my battery and do that reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
How did they fail? I have new rubber on and it is still giving me intermittent TPMS warning light. Then it goes away. Then comes back....kinda like my headlight fail light. But thats an easy fix with turning the headlights on and off a couple times.
It started that way. Then nada. Light on all the time. Black tape applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Every time I see one of these threads, I think, "thank god I just happened to buy an 06 that doesn't have any of this tpms shit to deal with."

Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
      06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Try to disable it with NCSExpert modifying the KMB module by setting the following:

AKUSTIK_ASC - AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL (ASC) WARNING GONG = nicht_aktiv - not enabled
Pungo, is this something you've done? This would be great if it works.
      06-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Pungo, is this something you've done? This would be great if it works.
Sorry, since mine are working, I've not bothered to try it. If/when mine fail, I'll give it a try. I know I could disable it, let some air out of one of the tires to test it, but that's not going to happen.... Someone with a failed tpms should try it and report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Pretty sure they don't use batt power, but rather induction power when rotating, vs the earths magnetic field.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Interestingly, I may have a theory on that. Your TPMS failure may actually be related to your headlight "problems." The ballast on modern HIDs work on converting direct current to alternating current, and sometimes a failing ballast sends out radio interference signals during the conversion process. The radio interference pattern can interfere with the TPMS signals.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

I had a very unusual TPMS problem, which was pretty hard to track down but ultimately resolved.

My TPMS light was on all the time, too. I could reset it and it would disappear briefly, but it would re-appear within a few minutes, usually as I was traveling down a bumpy road.

The first thing I did was replace the TPMS sensors at each wheel with an OEM part. Not cheap. Didn't fix the problem.

Since the light seemed more prone to illuminate when I'd hit a bump in the road, I thought it might be a wiring issue. Like a loose connection or a short somewhere. Oh joy... how much fun are those to track down, right?

That's exactly what it was, though. After much investigation, I found that a bundle of 6-8 wires that ran from the center of the rear bumper, behind the heat shield above the rear passenger muffler, to the rear passenger side wheel well, had actually dropped below the heat shield and was laying on top of the passenger side muffler.

The coating had melted and bare metal was exposed on a couple of the wires, which was in turn making contact with the rear muffler and, at times (i.e. hitting bumps in the road) shorting out, causing the TPMS light to illuminate in the dash.

I recovered the melted area of the wires, tucked them back behind the shielding, and problem solved.

That's probably not the issue you're facing but go have a look, just in case. Lay down behind your car and see if a bundle of wires is laying on top of your muffler.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

TPMS is strange indeed

on my 08 3.0si i had the light go on and off all the time

now my 07 ZMC is having the same issue

I think i will remove them the next time i change tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

TPMS coded OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post

Finally took a few minutes to test this coding Pungo suggested a long time ago.
There were some recent posts on this topic, so figured it was about time to Git Er Done.

I'm happy to report that the coding was successful.
I no longer have the TPMS warnings. (& no more black tape )

Note;
this is for '07 & '08 cars that come with TPMS mounted in wheels.
with the code change, TPMS is disabled and sensors can be removed from the wheels. You will have no warning light.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 04-11-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 4
3002 tii2272.00
pungo868.00
      06-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Mine kept going off and I finally figured out what it was, my gauge was bad...New tire gauge and all is good.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 01:20 AM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Finally took a few minutes to test this coding Pungo suggested a long time ago.
There were some recent posts on this topic, so figured it was about time to Git Er Done.

I'm happy to report that the coding was successful.
I no longer have the TPMS warnings. (& no more black tape )

Note; this is with no TPMS mounted in wheels
Ian, wonderful! Now I can remove that black tape!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 01:22 AM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Mine kept going off and I finally figured out what it was, my gauge was bad...New tire gauge and all is good.

Steve
So under inflated due to the bad gauge? Im glad that's fixed if that's the case!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #22
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Ian, wonderful! Now I can remove that black tape!
After all this time, it looks funny now with no tape & no light

...and now I can remove the TPMS receivers from the wheel wells, save 0.254lbs and not screw up my corner balance
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 06-25-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0