ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (2007)

Passenger Leak / Vapour Barrier

Hi all

Posted this in a few places as this was pretty big as far as DIY projects go for me.

While back I noticed water in the passenger well. (After a drive through car wash).

Did the usual thread read and youtube and thought first place to check would be the vapour barrier and take that moment to do sound proofing.

Below the pics are:

Pic 1) area of leak and area behind panel where i found the tape missing from the membrane.

Pic 2) panel off, I applied new butyl tape and after some time ran water down the outside window side. Noticed water coming from the hole. Occurred to me after that this is where the panel clip goes in.

Q - with the panel clipped in here would that water stop coming through?
Q - is it normal for water to go into the door like this? Is there not a window motor within the door?

Pic 3) I broke some panel clips during this process.

Q - anyone have recommendations in the UK where I can get these from?

THanks
Bobby
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The weatherstripping has drainage holes... top and bottom. If the bottom drainage holes become clogged the water may drain into the car from the top hole..... Water is entering the existing strip on the vertical door jam (hinge side).

The hole you identified is the first opportunity on the "horizontal" section for it to drain out of a bottom hole.

Also it's a possibility with high pressure hose that spraying in bottom area at that bottom hole area will cause it to exit via the top hole.

However I now avoid spraying the existing wx strip in those areas and that seemed to stop the leak that I also experienced in that exact same area...
      05-12-2020, 02:40 AM   #3
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
The weatherstripping has drainage holes... top and bottom. If the bottom drainage holes become clogged the water may drain into the car from the top hole..... Water is entering the existing strip on the vertical door jam (hinge side).

The hole you identified is the first opportunity on the "horizontal" section for it to drain out of a bottom hole.

Also it's a possibility with high pressure hose that spraying in bottom area at that bottom hole area will cause it to exit via the top hole.

However I now avoid spraying the existing wx strip in those areas and that seemed to stop the leak that I also experienced in that exact same area...

The worst i noticed was at a drive through jetwash, which might explain the jetwash from bottom area.

I am not entirely sure which holes you refer too. Are you able download,edit and circle where I should check for blockages?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Pretty sure I found the drain holes

its one of those circled correct? On the bottom of the actual door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The weather strip is attached around the door.... you will see small holes ..... the door presses up to it in the closed position forming the seal....

The holes are readily apparent if you look closely...
      05-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The weather strip is attached around the door.... you will see small holes ..... the door presses up to it in the closed position forming the seal....

The holes are readily apparent if you look closely...

Got it "weather seal" has some holes and had recommendations that if the leak is not fixed to make additional holes there.

Thanks mate
Appreciate 0