ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2023, 07:21 AM   #5215
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Now who here trusts Google NEST and Amazon Echo to not be involved in data sharing and government compliance in a "emergency"?
I installed a NEST thermostat when they first came out and were not a Google company. It was nice to be able to remotely control the HVAC from anywhere in the world (for me just the USA really). I liked its feature that it tracks the weather via the internet in advance and adjusts operation of the HVAC accordingly. I live in a unique house mainly built in 1852 that is a few levels above a tent with regards to retaining conditioned air. So, better control of the HVAC and some automatic control based on the weather was welcomed tech.

Then Google bought NEST. Fuck that; Google doesn't need to know how I heat and cool my home. I've kept the NEST disconnected from the wifi ever since.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
      12-09-2023, 07:45 AM   #5216
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I installed a NEST thermostat when they first came out and were not a Google company. It was nice to be able to remotely control the HVAC from anywhere in the world (for me just the USA really). I liked its feature that it tracks the weather via the internet in advance and adjusts operation of the HVAC accordingly. I live in a unique house mainly built in 1852 that is a few levels above a tent with regards to retaining conditioned air. So, better control of the HVAC and some automatic control based on the weather was welcomed tech.

Then Google bought NEST. Fuck that; Google doesn't need to know how I heat and cool my home. I've kept the NEST disconnected from the wifi ever since.
It's actually extremely scary how people have just voluntarily handed off their privacy to these corporations. There was a thread over in the off topic where a member was excited about a drone that Amazon or Google was proposing for a home to "investigate" a possible home security incident. Never mind that this thing will have cameras and other sensors capturing everything in your home.

In addition, people have been so short sighted with how these companies have been conditioning them to accept the "you own nothing and will be happy" mantra. From making products disposable to getting your content via subscription streaming services to making your products reliant on some server in the cloud. The last point is an expansion of what you said concerning privacy. But it also has implications on your usage of said product. Companies can just turn off that server forcing you to trash bin a product that was working just fine. Louis Rossman had put out a video recently on a IP camera sold on Amazon. The company didn't alert users that the company no longer supported the camera and didn't pull the product from being sold over the retail channel. Users bought the camera to find out the camera wouldn't work. The only response from the company was to give them a discount on purchasing a new camera that would work.

I myself had this situation happen with a product that work fabulously. It was a Slingbox. Before you were able to use it without the intervention of a cloud server brokering the connection between the remote client and that box. Then they switched the operating model with their newer versions forcing you to use their server. Then AT&T came in and bought out the IP for the company and shut it down. We got a year warning the server is going to go offline. The system work great for me but I was forced to scrap it. I ended up cobbling together a similar but not so elegant solution. Unfortunately it does utilize a cloud based device for the remote control functions. But I figure I can get another solution that does the same thing without a problem if this one fails.

As to the smart thermostat situation, I opted to get a Honeywell product. I figure it was the lesser of the evils out there. I have it installed at my vacation home. The main reason is to be able to get the house conditioned to a comfortable internal temperature when I arrive. I have the temp permanently set pretty high in the summer months and pretty low in the winter months to save on unnecessary energy costs when I'm not there. The thermostat did come in handy one time when my HVAC wasn't working during a really cold winter season. I got email alerts from the thermostat that the temperature of the house was too low. Drove out immediately to check on the house and indeed the HVAC wasn't working.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17385.50
BigHunk269.50
      12-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #5217
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Just over 10 years ago it was US $2 to the £ and our trip to LA was like a dream with Cali tax refund for UK visitors also for clothes shopping etc. What a difference 10+ years and change in gubment make
Just for grins. This is the average US gasoline price since 2001 broken into specific segments of time. Each segment average price was then adjusted to 2023 for comparison purposes. Price data from Forbes. These data (trend) pretty much mirror my personal recorded gas price data (for premium - about 42 cents more than regular) for the same time periods.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-09-2023 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 4
      12-09-2023, 08:35 AM   #5218
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
We looked into Solar panels, our roof doesn't face the right direction so would have to put a big panel out on our back yard. The price we got was about $40K in stalled, there are some government rebates but not that much.
I think the issue with solar on a end user basis is ROI. In this day and age few people know where and when their employment and family needs will change that will require moving. With pay back from 15 to 30 years and the value in the resale market unknown it makes this hard to justify. I built in 2005 and I spent the money on geothermal and super insulation as I plan on leaving this house feet first. If I were to build again tomorrow I doubt I would make those investments. (closer to feet first)
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17385.50
      12-09-2023, 08:42 AM   #5219
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's actually extremely scary how people have just voluntarily handed off their privacy to these corporations. There was a thread over in the off topic where a member was excited about a drone that Amazon or Google was proposing for a home to "investigate" a possible home security incident. Never mind that this thing will have cameras and other sensors capturing everything in your home.

In addition, people have been so short sighted with how these companies have been conditioning them to accept the "you own nothing and will be happy" mantra. From making products disposable to getting your content via subscription streaming services to making your products reliant on some server in the cloud. The last point is an expansion of what you said concerning privacy. But it also has implications on your usage of said product. Companies can just turn off that server forcing you to trash bin a product that was working just fine. Louis Rossman had put out a video recently on a IP camera sold on Amazon. The company didn't alert users that the company no longer supported the camera and didn't pull the product from being sold over the retail channel. Users bought the camera to find out the camera wouldn't work. The only response from the company was to give them a discount on purchasing a new camera that would work.

I myself had this situation happen with a product that work fabulously. It was a Slingbox. Before you were able to use it without the intervention of a cloud server brokering the connection between the remote client and that box. Then they switched the operating model with their newer versions forcing you to use their server. Then AT&T came in and bought out the IP for the company and shut it down. We got a year warning the server is going to go offline. The system work great for me but I was forced to scrap it. I ended up cobbling together a similar but not so elegant solution. Unfortunately it does utilize a cloud based device for the remote control functions. But I figure I can get another solution that does the same thing without a problem if this one fails.

As to the smart thermostat situation, I opted to get a Honeywell product. I figure it was the lesser of the evils out there. I have it installed at my vacation home. The main reason is to be able to get the house conditioned to a comfortable internal temperature when I arrive. I have the temp permanently set pretty high in the summer months and pretty low in the winter months to save on unnecessary energy costs when I'm not there. The thermostat did come in handy one time when my HVAC wasn't working during a really cold winter season. I got email alerts from the thermostat that the temperature of the house was too low. Drove out immediately to check on the house and indeed the HVAC wasn't working.
I'll have to look into the Honeywell product to see if it is not tracked by Big Tech. Somewhere in my mess of a garage I have the house's original Honeywell dumb (mercury-bulb) thermostat that I should switch back to (it might be heat-only though). My wife stays home all day now, so the only advantage of the NEST is programming for night/day temps. I'm a Boomer, I can easily live with a manual thermostat - .
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
      12-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #5220
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We looked into Solar panels, our roof doesn't face the right direction so would have to put a big panel out on our back yard. The price we got was about $40K in stalled, there are some government rebates but not that much. My monthly hydro bull is around $200 so assuming hydro bill went to zero (it won't because we still have to pay delivery charges and debt retirement charge to the utility) it would take about 20 years to break even. I won't be in this house that long.
With fear of being called juvenile again... you've post pics of your awesomely cool homestead in the Canadian winter with a shit-load of snow everywhere. How does solar deal with that? Self-heating I'm guessing?

I've looked into solar as well. My place is tucked up on the north face of a 1,500 foot mountain (the house is at 860 feet ASL). There is not enough sun exposure in the winter to capture enough energy for a day without putting the array out in the front yard. Doing that kills the rural esthetics of the property and the panels then would be susceptible to the river floodplain.

Solar is just not for everyone, it's hard to convince enviro-Californians of this; they see everything from a Cali perspective. I need propane and 24/7 400-amp service for my house in the winter to keep warm. Just the way it is. Heat pump and solar won't cut it. Living on a DER grid when some m'effer doesn't plug his Tesla in and I get a brownout would be difficult to explain to my wife. It took a while for her to accept the toilet doesn't flush when the electricity goes out in a storm*.

* Yup, I do have a mini-DER (called Generac)

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-09-2023 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13655.00
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 08:52 AM   #5221
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
With fear of being called juvenile again... you've post pics of your awesomely cool homestead in the Canadian winter with a shit-load of snow everywhere. How does solar deal with that? Self-heating I'm guessing?
That is a challenge as is the shorter days as you go further north, which is ironic because if you're going to heat using electricity you need the solar array to work during the cold months. We installed a new state of the art heat pump/furnace in January '23. The government here is pushing them as a way to get off fossil fuels, the problem is that our top of the line heat pump can work below -10C but really struggles. So we have saved about 25-30% of our propane consumption, we still need the propane half of the furnace for the colder months, January & February are often well below -10C. Our new heat pump will take about 15-20 years to pay for itself. And thank you for the comment on our home.
Appreciate 5
Efthreeoh17385.50
KRS_SN13655.00
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 08:52 AM   #5222
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I'll have to look into the Honeywell product to see if it is not tracked by Big Tech.
I have Honeywell T6 Pro's controlling the geothermal in shop and house. It does connect to outside weather and has geo-fencing available and connects to Honeywell so your guess is as good as mine. It is not happy with out WiFi but still works with no ability to change settings.
https://www.honeywellhome.com/us/en/...th6320u2008-u/

All these companies are evil if we are the product.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh17385.50
zx10guy5149.50
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #5223
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I have Honeywell T6 Pro's controlling the geothermal in shop and house. It does connect to outside weather and has geo-fencing available and connects to Honeywell so your guess is as good as mine. It is not happy with out WiFi but still works with no ability to change settings.

Our system is Lennox with their branded thermostat which we had to buy with the new furnace and heat pump, we had a NEST but it wasn't compatible. I'm not sure if anyone had their hands on the Lennox besides Lennox themselves.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh17385.50
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #5224
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If I'd ever move to a new-built house with enough land*, I'd definitely go geothermal.

* I've got 40 acres now, but it's mostly vertical. 35 of it is original-growth forest. Big 'ole carbon sink/oxygen spewer.
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13655.00
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 09:08 AM   #5225
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Still like the geothermal for comfort and cost of operation but it does require a stable power grid.
Was going to get LP generator this year but blew the budget on the M4.
Top of the list for 2024 as most of our power comes from Ohio and they are tearing down coal power plants with no viable replacements

Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13655.00
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #5226
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
If I'd ever move to a new-built house with enough land*, I'd definitely go geothermal.
The only second guess I made was using a slinky field for the geothermal. (they are rated slightly higher for heat transfer) I would likely go bentonite well next time. The sinking of the ground over the slinky field is a pain in the ass. I bet I have several tons of top soil added in the past 10 years to flatten out the yard. Then again it is a good excuse for tractor time
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17385.50
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 09:23 AM   #5227
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Our system is Lennox with their branded thermostat which we had to buy with the new furnace and heat pump
Not a HVAC expert but I have wired in a number of thermostats over the years and the later HVAC units have 2 or 3 heating settings and 1 or 2 cooling and my current systems is a 5 wire 3/2 system but I have had a 10 wire outside temp sensor systems in the past. Point is I doubt the the Lennox is any different than any other HVAC unit. Maybe a non Lennox tech is what you really need? Then again my general rule is if it ain't broken don't fix it as there is always enough stuff to fix.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh17385.50
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #5228
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still like the geothermal for comfort and cost of operation but it does require a stable power grid.
Was going to get LP generator this year but blew the budget on the M4.
Top of the list for 2024 as most of our power comes from Ohio and they are tearing down coal power plants with no viable replacements

I could switch to one of those outdoor hot water boiler systems that use firewood to heat the water for a furnace heat exchanger. Just in felled wood alone I probably have 10 years of wood to burn.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60876.50
      12-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #5229
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I could switch to one of those outdoor hot water boiler systems that use firewood to heat the water for a furnace heat exchanger. Just in felled wood alone I probably have 10 years of wood to burn.
I'm in Amish country and those things are all over the place. Personally I think that is ideal for heating a shop but I'm a little too old and soft to use it for my house. The thought of getting up a 5:00am to stoke the boiler is just not my cup of tea.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60876.50
Efthreeoh17385.50
      12-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #5230
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Just for grins. This is the average US gasoline price since 2001 broken into specific segments of time. Each segment average price was then adjusted to 2023 for comparison purposes. Price data from Forbes. These data (trend) pretty much mirror my personal recorded gas price data (for premium - about 42 cents more than regular) for the same time periods.
Doesn't look bad at all to me.
Appreciate 3
      12-09-2023, 11:38 PM   #5231
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...ve-2023-12-08/
      12-10-2023, 03:49 AM   #5232
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

You just got blinders on and ignore the damage that oil has done and continues to do?

I love my ICE vehicles, and my EV, and I'm not going to pretend that either are saving the world, they're both bad in their own way. The big picture reality is that personal transportation is unsustainable for the human race. Unfortunately in the US our society is completely dependent upon it.
When the hypocrits dump their private jets, mega yachts, multiple mansions, convoys of limo's and practice what they preach I might consider a hybrid.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2023, 06:30 AM   #5233
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've not looked to it, but where does all that gas tax money go?
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60876.50
      12-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #5234
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
When the hypocrits dump their private jets, mega yachts, multiple mansions, convoys of limo's and practice what they preach I might consider a hybrid.
You should only consider a hybrid if it works for you. Don’t consider one based on the predilections of the ultra wealthy. Why would you ever do that?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 08:27 AM   #5235
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60876.50
      12-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #5236
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Probably all the unsold T's that no one wants were used in the film what a waste. But seriously could some foreign power make this happen ?
Appreciate 1