ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #45
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
It's only a crime if you destroy the footage after it's been subpoenaed

(I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice...)
True but if I were the opposing party, I would argue that one can infer from the fact that it was deleted that it had negative information. This would be most compelling if there was a history of not deleting when it helped the owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #46
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
True but if I were the opposing party, I would argue that one can infer from the fact that it was deleted that it had negative information. This would be most compelling if there was a history of not deleting when it helped the owner.
And is it, in fact, deleted...or does it follow the computer hard disk model where "deleting" something merely removes the file index references to it but the object still exists on the disk until some or all of its storage segments are overwritten?

I would suspect that in a non-fatal, non-catastrophic incident or accident the officer(s) on the scene would want to view the video and might request a copy. If something really bad happened, my hunch is that if law enforcement becomes aware that one or more devices may have recorded something relevant, they would then confiscate the device on the spot...but I'm not a lawyer. Or a cop.
      12-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #47
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
And is it, in fact, deleted...or does it follow the computer hard disk model where "deleting" something merely removes the file index references to it but the object still exists on the disk until some or all of its storage segments are overwritten?

I would suspect that in a non-fatal, non-catastrophic incident or accident the officer(s) on the scene would want to view the video and might request a copy. If something really bad happened, my hunch is that if law enforcement becomes aware that one or more devices may have recorded something relevant, they would then confiscate the device on the spot...but I'm not a lawyer. Or a cop.
Yup, better watch out...

Pic of my local police departments auto accident disk recovery lab.

Appreciate 3
jmack548.50
wdb4716.50
      12-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #48
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
It's recorded on a Micro SD card so the video will still be there unless you use a file wipe software and use 7x DOD standard re-write.

But the point of having a dashcam is to drive sensibly and protect yourself against a reckless driver. It's not to drive like a maniac and then try to destroy evidence.
Appreciate 2
arashir164.00
      12-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #49
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
It's recorded on a Micro SD card so the video will still be there unless you use a file wipe software and use 7x DOD standard re-write.

But the point of having a dashcam is to drive sensibly and protect yourself against a reckless driver. It's not to drive like a maniac and then try to destroy evidence.
I think I would have to revise my Launch Control protocol with a new 1st step: "Place sock over dashcam."

I know little about dash cams, but I bet the more high-end cams also record GPS data from which can be derived speed and accelleration on both the X and Y axes, similar to how my Dragy works. Or at least that's possible to include in a feature set. Not sure I'd want that.
      12-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm a good enough defensive driver that I've been able to avoid involvement in fuckery on the road around me when I'm driving. I've been driving around a metropolitan area for over 40 years, including 14 years in commercial trucks, and I've never filled out an accident report.

What I'd be much more interested in would be a camera or cameras that would record any fuckery that happens to or around the car when I'm not around. Like the dick-wad who door-dinged me a couple of months back despite me parking in Bumfuk Egypt in an almost empty parking lot. A motion or vibration-activated 360-degree system where any motion or impact would set it off and it would then record the whole fiasco with enough clarity that I could identify the offender(s) and hold them accountable.
      12-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #51
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
What I'd be much more interested in would be a camera or cameras that would record any fuckery that happens to or around the car when I'm not around. Like the dick-wad who door-dinged me a couple of months back despite me parking in Bumfuk Egypt in an almost empty parking lot. A motion or vibration-activated 360-degree system where any motion or impact would set it off and it would then record the whole fiasco with enough clarity that I could identify the offender(s) and hold them accountable.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #52
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yup, better watch out...

Pic of my local police departments auto accident disk recovery lab.

My dad, capably manning the family's Electronics Cleansing Depot:
Attached Images

12-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #53
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

For some reason I found myself Googling "If you swallow a micro SD card, will the data survive".
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      12-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #54
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
For some reason I found myself Googling "If you swallow a micro SD card, will the data survive".
Pretty sure that's just how you get a virus.

As easy as it is to hate on Teslas, their 360 degree dash cams are pretty slick. Are other companies making these built in to their cars yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #55
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Pretty sure that's just how you get a virus.

As easy as it is to hate on Teslas, their 360 degree dash cams are pretty slick. Are other companies making these built in to their cars yet?
Ironically Teslas have 360 degree dash cams, but no 360 degree view.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #56
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
I think I would have to revise my Launch Control protocol with a new 1st step: "Place sock over dashcam."

I know little about dash cams, but I bet the more high-end cams also record GPS data from which can be derived speed and accelleration on both the X and Y axes, similar to how my Dragy works. Or at least that's possible to include in a feature set. Not sure I'd want that.
High end cams are equipped with GPS data that could be plotted onto their map application. It will plot out your route, direction and speed. You could even set up multiple cameras and it will stitch footage from different vantage point in the same time frame.
Appreciate 1