ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
DerrickO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M Convertible

Strong Sulfur Smell

Greetings,

I just purchased a used 2003 Z4 3.0i with the sport package from a BMW dealership here in Jacksonville, Florida. I traded in a 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L engine. While I will miss the 381hp engine, I will not miss its 22 gallon gas tank with the $75.00 to $100.00 fill ups.

This is not my first convertible, (I owned a Honda from 1995 until 2000), it is however my very first BMW automobile so I am quite excited.

Anway, I was driving around yesterday with the top down after leaving the dealership and notice a strong sulfur smell. For whatever reason, I did not smell this during an hour+ test drive with the salesman on a different day.

I have noticed at a lot of gas stations here in Jacksonville have giant stickers at the pump stating that sulfur has been added to the gasoline.

I have done a search on Google and I have found a lot of wise guy answers, but nothing that really helps to explain what is going on, and if I should be concerned.

To be clear, sometimes I am smelling the sulfur smell with the top down doing about 45 MPH. Other times, it wafts into the cabin as I come to the stop at a red light. While the smell is strong, it goes away pretty quickly, but it is there and you definately notice it. Of course, this problem doesn't happen every single time. Fortunately, I have not smelled it with the top up, but only with the top down.

Aside from the sulfur smell, the car looks and runs great. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it mechanically and have gotten two compliments on it from complete strangers within an hour of leaving a dealership. I was blown away! I thought my Tundra was nice, but in the two years I drove it no one gave me a single complement. LOL!

Questions:

1.) Could the sulfur smell be due to the higher sulfur content in today's gasoline mixtures? (I never had this problem with my Honda, but that was almost 10 years ago when gas was a lot cheaper and I lived in California and Washington state.)

2.) If it is the higher sulfur content of today's gas mixture, could I have been experiencing this in my Tundra as well but just didn't notice it due to the fact I was riding in a truck with no sunroof and the windows usually rolled up as opposed to an open cockpit?

3.) Should I try a different gas station? I got the impression that the dealer has a contract with Gate gas stations because they gave me a purchase order for one free gas fillup at the station just down the street from the dealership. Would trying a tank of gas from Shell or Exxon be a good idea?

4.) From what I read on my Google searches, it could be a catalytic converter that is going bad or faulty O2 sensors. I have no warning lights lit up on my dash. Could these items be bad anyway with no warning light?

While I am concerned, I'm not freaking out, but I would like to know if others have had this problem and what they did to correct it. I stressed to the salesman prior to buying Z4 that my Tundra was in perfect working condition and that the Z4 needed to be the same way. (I don't need a project car!) He assured me that it was, and if there was a problem with anything, that I had a 90 day or 3,000 mile warranty that was bumper-to-bumper.

Thank-you!

Derrick
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Sulfer smell usually means bad cats.

There is a gas station saying they are ADDING sulfur to fuel... I don't think that's right.
      12-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
lrcigar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Roadster

Your cat is going bad if you smell rotten eggs, or in your case sulfer. also, stop going to a gas station that adds sulfer. just my 2 cents. good luck and congrats on your new toy.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

I've never heard of sulphur being added to gasoline; in fact, it is being reduced in diesel fuel. Are you sure it isn't some other substance and you've made a mistake?

Don't know about a cat malfunction, but I would think that would get you a check engine light.

I do know that an overcharging or shorted battery will boil out the acid and smell like sulphur. I would check my battery and charging system immediately. Use caution if the car has been running recently as an overcharging problem could cause excessive heat and/or acid in the battery area.
Appreciate 0