ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #89
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRua View Post
fantastic job mate...too much work for the likes of me.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoutcry View Post
Saw this thread, bought the Brembo covers right away!

Thanks!

Edit: What kind of glue do you use? Silicone glue?
Hi Temp RTV silicone. Only put it on the caliper mount, not the caliper. And make sure you leave enough space for the caliper to move.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #90
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
Hi Temp RTV silicone. Only put it on the caliper mount, not the caliper. And make sure you leave enough space for the caliper to move.
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Your car looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #91
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Dont know why people are so excited about poseur brake covers, that probably also trap heat.

Anyway, the paint looks great, and black wheels would really set it right
      01-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #92
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
Dont know why people are so excited about poseur brake covers, that probably also trap heat.

Edit: You're right, I'm not going to do it.

Last edited by SwissArmy; 01-18-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #93
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:

And so does painting them and painted calipers has cause other problems on these cars like the calipers seizing up IIRC.

I don't use my brakes like a race car and if you are having heat and fade problems on the street... you really need to check your driving habits. If you race you need to shell out the $$$ for a BBK. $5-$7k for a BBK is a complete waste of money and an even bigger "poseur" move for me and my driving habits. I don't ride the brakes, I don't tailgate, I don't run up to each stoplight so I can slam on the brakes and I do have about 1.5 million documented safe miles driving big trucks.

I have over 210,000 miles on the original brakes my 2004.5 Dodge dually and half of those miles are towing campers and I still have about 50% of pad remaining front and rear and I wasn't moving small campers. Truck full of fuel and tools by itself scaled out at 9100 lbs and most campers I moved were between 10,000 and 18,000 lbs dry.

This truck has been in all 48 continental states and almost every province of Canada and has been on the ice roads in the North West Territory. My specialty wass running north western Canada in the winter and she worked for a living and is still working. Right now I have the hitch and boxes out of the bed and have an ezdumper dump body installed.

Even when driving small cars to work every day in heavy traffic trying to get into a military base during rush hour, I still averaged about 100,000 miles on a set of brakes.

Heat buildup in a street car I use to putt around town or drive on the interstate is not something I am worried about. This will not cause fade in a rare occassional emergency stop and I've already had this car at near lockup avoiding a deer at 60 mph.

As far as the self proclaimed expert "Mustang Medic" and his vids. I take it with a grain of salt. 1). I've watch some of his vids in the past and not impressed with his work. 2). No proof at all... but someone said it on the internet so it must be true.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #94
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

long story, still no excuse to pretend you have big brakes when you don't. Even if you're not going to overheat your brakes, its like putting a sock in your jeans so it looks like you have a bigger package. Or putting an M badge on a non-M car. But thats just my opinion, we don't have to all agree about everything.
      01-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #95
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
As far as the self proclaimed expert "Mustang Medic" and his vids. I take it with a grain of salt. 1). I've watch some of his vids in the past and not impressed with his work. 2). No proof at all... but someone said it on the internet so it must be true.
Hmm. I have the covers sitting on a shelf. Not that I can work on my car right now due to the horrible weather (I don't space to work on my car in the garage, so I always work on it outside). I'm still researching it. To be honest, having seen them in person, they look great. They have a nice gloss finish, and the plastic feels durable. Then again, I'm no plastic expert. Or am I trying to just sell it to myself lol. A part of me says to stay away and get real Brembos from tireconnection this week. We shall see

Quote:
long story, still no excuse to pretend you have big brakes when you don't. Even if you're not going to overheat your brakes, its like putting a sock in your jeans so it looks like you have a bigger package. Or putting an M badge on a non-M car. But thats just my opinion, we don't have to all agree about everything.
I agree. I guess some of us would just like cosmetic improvements to our liking. Like APR wings/splitters. I don't race on a track. If I were to get an APR wing or splitter, it would look great, and get lots of nods here on the zpost community, even if I don't use it for its performance, and only have it for it's visual appeal. However, if I install the same APR wing/splitters but the REPLICA version purely for cosmetics as before, I would get grilled. Why?

Just asking
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #96
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoutcry View Post
I agree. I guess some of us would just like cosmetic improvements to our liking. Like APR wings/splitters. I don't race on a track. If I were to get an APR wing or splitter, it would look great, and get lots of nods here on the zpost community, even if I don't use it for its performance, and only have it for it's visual appeal. However, if I install the same APR wing/splitters but the REPLICA version purely for cosmetics as before, I would get grilled. Why?

Just asking
Not quite the same... It's more like if someone put fake CF vinyl on their hood to replicate a real CF hood. The brake covers aren't knock off brembo brakes or brakes at all; they're just cheap ass plastic covers.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
Not quite the same... It's more like if someone put fake CF vinyl on their hood to replicate a real CF hood. The brake covers aren't knock off brembo brakes or brakes at all; they're just cheap ass plastic covers.
Ah okay. Let's say the caliper covers did not have the word brembo on it. What would your opinion be then? I'm just wondering if you have an issue with the word brembo on it, or the cover itself if it's "brembo", then I completely understand. If it's the cover itself, then I don't know...

I see a lot of people vinyl up their interiors to CF. No disgust there so far. But, I totally agree with you
Appreciate 0