ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2024, 11:58 AM   #1
Andryuha
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M '00 Z3M '11 S212

OEM nav screen repair/replacement solution

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but if you want to retain your original nav screen, I found a pretty cheap solution. As I discovered, you CAN swap in the screen from E83 and it's not too bad of a process.

I suck at making videos, but here's how you can fix your screen without spending $1500+ on a used replacement unit. Technically, this isn't a fix, but a retrofit of an (almost) identical unit from E83, which can be had for much cheaper. If you are somewhat hands-on and don't feel like watching the video - here's the jist of this project:
  • Remove the E83 unit from the shroud/surround. Easiest way to do it is to pry off the back cover. You will need to disassemble the whole unit to get the screen out
  • Install it into the E85 shroud and re-use the E85 back cover. E83 cover will bind
  • If your electric motor is broken - cracked mounting bracket, broken mounting post on E85 shroud, missing/broken gears - you will need to swap in the E83 motor. You will need to unclip the mounting bracket from the E83 shroud and bond it to the E85 shroud.
***I also found it impossible to find a replacement gear for the electric motor. The one on my E85 unit was nowhere to be found and the one on the E83 unit had a hair line crack. I reinforced the gear by gluing a small nylon washer on top of it. I did not outline it well in the video, but this seems to be a sound solution. I tried a number of adhesives and the one I found to work best was Visbella EasyFix that you can get on Amazon. I tested it on some spare/broken parts I had laying around and this glue is incredibly strong.

Comment below with any questions and I will do my best to answer. Unfortunately, my video did omit some parts that may be important.

Appreciate 1
XMetal1132.50