ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: What SatNav system do you use with your Zed?
None 13 18.31%
Factory On-Board SatNav 22 30.99%
Garmin 16 22.54%
Tom Tom 9 12.68%
Magellan 4 5.63%
Mio 1 1.41%
Navman 0 0%
Other 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

06-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #23
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post
That's what I have it wasn't cheap though..it was $800 when it first came out....OUCH!!! Works well, I love it.

Rosie
Yeah... & less than 1/2 of that now.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #24
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm in Boston right now putting my Magellan 2200t to the test for the first time. It's working admirably!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Whatcha doin in boston?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #26
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Whatcha doin in boston?
I'm attending my cousin's wedding. Wow, a very lively and beautiful city! The traffic is the worse I've ever seen anywhere! And I've been in Asia and NYC!

A lot of cool stuff here that I won't get a chance to see over a few days. I may come back again soon.

My Magellan 2200t is doing great here though. I recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #27
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Once you get in the city the T is your friend Make sure you hit mike's pastries in the north end before you leave. It's friggin unbelievable. If you don't know where it is...ask any local and they'll hook you up with directions. My memory is a bit off...but I could get there if I was in the city. It's not far from a T stop.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #28
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Too many female relatives here so I can't do anything I want to. Stuck in shopping centres essentially.

I would've liked to have done the duckboat, Museum of fine art, freedom trail, salem witch museum, JFK museum & library.....
I may be able to get to the New England aquarium tomorrow.

Oh well. I may move here for a year (for work) in 3 years or so.

The T is definitely great! Almost as good as the TTC in Toronto. I won't be renting a car next time, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #29
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Dude...YOU HAVE TO GO. Mikes pastries makes some of the greatest desert food in the world. GO! It's definately gonna be one of the first places I stop when I go back.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #30
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
Too many female relatives here so I can't do anything I want to. Stuck in shopping centres essentially.

I would've liked to have done the duckboat, Museum of fine art, freedom trail, salem witch museum, JFK museum & library.....
I may be able to get to the New England aquarium tomorrow.
Quote:
Dude...YOU HAVE TO GO. Mikes pastries makes some of the greatest desert food in the world. GO! It's definately gonna be one of the first places I stop when I go back.
I WAS going to tell you guys to stay on topic... but I can't help myself:

takedown8, the wife & I did the 1st 3 things on your list last year when we visited, and they were all pretty fun. The freedom trail was one of the best walking tours I've ever done (we did the audiotour), and we actually stopped at Quincy Market for lunch during the walk. Shopping in Boston's awesome, because it's tax free (up to $175 I think). As for Mike's Pastry (300 Hanover St., go to Hay-mahket...ehem, Haymarket Station), that place is the S#!T for Pastries. You NEED to go. Take a look (my own pic - that lobster tail cream pastry is about 8 inches in length):
Attached Images

06-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #31
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

They also have a double chocolate cake that is unfrigginbelievable. Thanks for the assist rick. Go out of the haymarket T-stop...head up the hill...take your first left and it should be up the hill about a couple blocks...if memory serves me correctly.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #32
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Like, duh... just program that POI into your GPS, takedown8! Once you get close you can just smell your way to the shop. Yum! And if you can't make it, there's always Beard Papa's @ Quincy Market (but not a close second by any means)

Oh, if you get the chance, I'd recommend a Swan Boat Ride. Cheap and relaxing...
Attached Images

06-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Swan boats are gay. Do a duck tour. And everyone knows you can't park in the north end except valet...and YOU DO NOT want to trust those valets. My wife used to valet up there and I will never allow one of those bastards to touch my car ever. Way too many stories.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #34
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

i have the factory nav. granted the z is the first and only vehical i have navigation in, i like it. i cant compare it to others becuse i have never used one before...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #35
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Rick and Dammmittt for your recommendations. Unfortunately we didn't make it. We were there for a wedding which ran into the wee hours of the morning. That Mike's pastry looks really good. I've never had a cannoli before. The first time I heard of them was from watching the Sopranos!

I'm hoping to see a lot of the city if or when we move there in a few years time. It really is a beautiful city. I just can't believe the roads and traffic though. What will I do with my Zed? I don't think I should take it with me. I'd have to store it for a year or something. <thinking>

Magellan 2200t did a great job! I'm very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #36
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Yeah..mine is going to sit in a deeded spot for a year...hopefully I get a place with an underground garage or covered parking. I'm not using it in the city ever...unless I feel the need to drive down newbury...aside from that just for trips in and out. Like I said...the T is your friend.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #37
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah..mine is going to sit in a deeded spot for a year...hopefully I get a place with an underground garage or covered parking. I'm not using it in the city ever...unless I feel the need to drive down newbury...aside from that just for trips in and out. Like I said...the T is your friend.
Why aren't you driving it? Is the traffic & parking that bad where you live?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #38
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
Why aren't you driving it? Is the traffic & parking that bad where you live?
Dammmittt's still talking about Boston (btw, takedown8, you DON'T want your wife to know about Newbury St.)

Anyway, I heard that Boston's an awesome city to visit, but not so great to live (especially drive). I had a great time mingling with the locals when I was there though...
      06-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #39
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I lived there for four years (undergrad) and I just can't wait to go back. Hopefully I'll be back there in july.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #40
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I lived there for four years (undergrad) and I just can't wait to go back. Hopefully I'll be back there in july.
Would you consider selling your beloved Zed rather than suffering a year's worth of depreciation with little driving time?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #41
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Only for a profit (That way I could get a new one that's still perfect

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #42
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

regarding the OEM Z4 Nav..is there anyway to have gas, restaurant, etc icons appear on the nav screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #43
Aebous
The Rambler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 3.0l Z4 sports package

I currently have a magellan roadmate 700 (with the 760 firmware-and european maps unlocked) My problem with it (for the z4) is the size, it's big an bulky and I can't see putting it on my windshield anywheres. So the one time I've used it in the z4 it stayed on the passenger seat.

My complaint about it is the map updates...I haven't seen one for the states yet. Plus you have to pay for map updates according to magellans FAQ. Rumor has it other gps companies you don't.

On that note, I really would love more map updates, Vegas must add 40 new streets/housing areas a minute, there is a lot here that's not on the gps. Granted I know there isn't anyone that updates maps very often, but I want something more/better.

OH, if you want to be surprised, take a look on Magellans list of POI's and try to find Hospitals/clinics etc on the list. They don't exist. Apparently IMO Magellan doesn't seem to think you would use their GPS system in an unfamiliar area -GASP- or that you might have an accident or a family member or any other reason (on or off the road) that requires you to get to a hospital ASAP. I wouldn't complain too much about it, except for the fact that once I noticed this I went to a tech store and looked at the other gps's, well i tried 4 of the 5 all different brands and all of them had local hospitals, clinics, doctor offices, even animal clinics.

Heh, long story short, I'm wanting to sell my GPS in favor of a garmin or another smaller size unit.
      09-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #44
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

I've got a JVC KV-PX9 (now discontinued). Overall a good unit. 20GB hard drive based navigation, 13GB for maps, 7 GB for mp3, videos, pictures, whatever. The navigation is good but it does do some stupid things (tell you to turn right, then make a u-turn, then turn right / instead of just driving through the intersection). Got mine for $250 off of amazon.com a few months ago, so a good deal for the price. Nice touch is it uses the same power adapter as my PSP so I can charge the battery in the house not just in the car.

dave
Appreciate 0