ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #1
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Key fob won’t lock car

Hey all, just replaced the battery in my 2006 3.0si and the fob is no longer locking the car. Unlock works after manually locking, pressing the lock button seems to trigger something as the interior lights will come on if the car has been sitting.

Things already checked/done:

1. 2 different key pairing methods - turn to position one, 5 times, hold unlock button and press lock 3x; turn to pos 2 and then quickly shut off and the same procedure. Did get the car to lock and confirm one time.

2. With windows down and manually locking:
A. Storage between seats is locked
B. Glovebox is NOT locked ( iirc my old 2006 used to lock, is this the issue?)
C. Gas compartment is locked

Fob works to unlock the car with no issues

Any ideas?

Last edited by miscbrah; 09-04-2022 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Given that you just replaced the battery, your GM5 needs to be repair. Generally, the GM5 issues involve the doors locking but won't unlock without the key being used.
However, the gas flap locking/unlocking is controlled by the GM5 and if the gas flap won't unlock it means a faulty GM5.

This guy repairs GM5 https://www.bmwgm5.com/ I had my GM5 done by him in June of this year. I mailed it to him on a Monday to California and had it returned to me in Pennsylvania by Friday. Unreal service.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
miscbrah
Private
Rep

Thanks for the link!

This only happened after I let the car battery die completely.

If I lock the car with the physical key on the driver side door, all locking functions work - storage between seats, gas cap cover, etc.

Unlocking from the wireless key fob also unlocks everything just fine.

Before the car battery died all functions worked from the key fob as well. I’m not quite sure it’s the GM5 module based on that
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 10:21 PM   #4
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe not, now that you explain the faults a little more in detail.

My issues were classic GM5 related. In that, failing to unlock.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Great link!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Whenever I had a issue with a computer at work and I contacted an IT person for help, they would always tell me to do a fresh re-start to check if that would solve the problem.

I'd pull the negative cable off the battery for a half hour and then reconnect to check if it corrected the issue. Afterwards, even if it doesn't work the only thing you might have to do is reset the windows

I learned from a European BMW Z4 forum that the GM5 isn't really coded to the car. When BMW installs a GM5 they code it to a specific key fob(s) for the car. Your GM5 is not picking up/understanding the signal from your key fob(s) to lock the car.
However, based on your posting the GM-5 does pick up the key fob signals and unlocks the doors/gas flap.

This is why I'm suggesting a re-start.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
miscbrah
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Whenever I had a issue with a computer at work and I contacted an IT person for help, they would always tell me to do a fresh re-start to check if that would solve the problem.

I'd pull the negative cable off the battery for a half hour and then reconnect to check if it corrected the issue. Afterwards, even if it doesn't work the only thing you might have to do is reset the windows

I learned from a European BMW Z4 forum that the GM5 isn't really coded to the car. When BMW installs a GM5 they code it to a specific key fob(s) for the car. Your GM5 is not picking up/understanding the signal from your key fob(s) to lock the car.
However, based on your posting the GM-5 does pick up the key fob signals and unlocks the doors/gas flap.

This is why I'm suggesting a re-start.
It may be worth a shot. In the meantime I'll be trying to give the key fob some more juice with an Apple Watch charger and a toothbrush charger. Certainly can't hurt.

Does anyone know if a Foxwell scanner (510 or 530) would pick up the code stored in the General Module or a low key fob battery voltage signal? OR, if it's a door actuator acting up?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
miscbrah
Private
Rep

Update:

It was the key fob, strange since it worked the last time the car was driven and locked up several months ago and not touched since.

Spare key now works flawlessly for all functions - lock, unlock, windows down, top down, etc.

Spare key needed to be paired again, could not trigger the pairing sequence with the main key and it also did not pair after putting the car in pairing mode with the spare and repeating key press sequence. At this point I’m assuming the issue is the lock button itself or even low voltage due to a bad battery in that fob.

Charged up both keys using a toothbrush charger for good measure.

Also saw some faults with a Foxwell nt530, cleared and will run it again after some driving time. One was module zke 5, which looks like it may be the gm5/central locking. Clearing them first did not allow the main key to lock the doors.

All solved just in time for winter storage lol
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      12-01-2022, 03:13 AM   #9
omergrant
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Given that you just replaced the battery, your GM5 needs to be repair. Generally, the GM5 issues involve the doors locking but won't unlock without the key being used.
However, the gas flap locking/unlocking is controlled by the GM5 and if the gas flap won't unlock it means a faulty GM5.

This guy repairs GM5 https://www.bmwgm5.com/I had my GM5 ...nreal service.tiny fishing unblocked
I'm also looking for car accessories but there doesn't seem to be a product I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omergrant View Post
I'm also looking for car accessories but there doesn't seem to be a product I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0