ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
fiorenini
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

Roof release not working

My top has finally gone on me, I am stuck with the top down and when I try to use the release tab, it doesn't work, I can't get the top up to replace the motor. I pulled the tab so hard that I broke it, I pulled and turned but it doesn't help with releasing the top. I have tried a bunch of stuff, from playing with the micro switch, pulling the shelf and reinstalling it, trying to power it all the way down, I want the system to recognize that its in the closed position. Nothing has worked.

Any thoughts?

Frank
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Hey Frank

The red handled hydraulic by-pass in your trunk had been attached by cable to the motor/pump. The problem was the by-pass at the pump had over time gotten dirty and jammed so it couldn't open. This is a common failure and they jam either open or closed.

The roof is now locked down over your motor/pump and most of the hydraulic parts under great pressure. You honestly only have two options.

1st, with a number of friends, have one person on each side of the roof try lifting it up. This is very, very hard and may take over an hour, but it has been done in the past.

2nd, if you took it to a BMW dealer, they would do this. Cut one of the hydraulic lines, which will release the pressure holding down the roof and allow you to manually close the top. There are two black hydraulic lines that run next to each other from the passenger side the driver's side along the bottom of the canvass top. These lines run along the bottom below the window but above the rubber weather seal on the inside of the canvass roof.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
fiorenini
Rep

Thank you for the reply,

I will happily do what I can on my own before going to the dealer, so its ok to force the top up against the resistance? I was worried that I would break something as it feels bound in there. If I can get the top up enough and access the pump, I can pull and replace it.

Frank
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

I made this mistake once so maybe this is your issue - the top latch motor could be in the locked position. Press the button to close the roof you should hear it unlock and then you should be able to manually raise the roof. Alternatively you can press the upper button in the middle console area (above the button to open the center storage) and that will also release the lock.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
fiorenini
Rep

Thanks, Zed_fan,

When I try to open it, it cycles for a few seconds and stops, it will cycle closed, but not open, so I will try both ways and see if I can get it to budge. It is also unlocked when I try to open the top, it will unlock so I can pull, but I can only lift if several I inches before it binds up, so I stop pulling.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Frank

Your going to do the lift? Then go on youtube and find z4 tops going down. Study the movement, the last movement going down will be your first movement going up. The most complex part will be at the start. If possible have a laptop with youtube, z4 top going up on, as you do this. Just make sure you don't force a joint the wrong way.

/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

Hmm ok, you might not be pulling the tab out enough to release the pressure. If possible try pulling it out far as possible and hold it there while someone else attempts to raise top.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
fiorenini
Rep

Got it!! After a lot of playing around, I was able to force it up, now I am going to pull, relocate and replace it.

Thanks guys!!!

Frank
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50