ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i GT, 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
Roof doesn't always open

Hey everyone! I'm experiencing roof opening/closing issues and I don't know what the issues is. When I go to press the open button, no lights turn on and the top does not open.

Yesterday the roof button was not working and the roof was not opening even when using the key fob. I suspected that the roof motor was flooded but the drains are not clogged.

Today, I get in my car and the top is working. The buttons light up and it opened and closed fine.

This afternoon it was not working again. Any idea what this issue is? I've had this issue in the past and I resolved it by resetting windows. This time the roof still does not work even after I reset the windows.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

These cars have been known to do weird things if the battery needs replacing so that’s one thing.

You can also open and close the roof by putting the key in the driver door lock and holding in the lock or unlock position to open and close, respectively, I’m curious if the roof works properly every time that way.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #3
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
These cars have been known to do weird things if the battery needs replacing so that’s one thing.

You can also open and close the roof by putting the key in the driver door lock and holding in the lock or unlock position to open and close, respectively, I’m curious if the roof works properly every time that way.
Thanks for the response! The top is randomly working again today. This whole situation is very odd. I opened and closed the top by long pressing the unlock/close button on the key fob. If the roof doesn't open in the future I'll try your method. The battery voltage seems normal
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

You are welcome! More than happy to try and help! The factory set up in North America did not include the ability to close the roof with the button on the key as I recall so your car may have an after market module to enable that. If so, could the wiring for the module be the culprit, or perhaps the module itself?
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
You are welcome! More than happy to try and help! The factory set up in North America did not include the ability to close the roof with the button on the key as I recall so your car may have an after market module to enable that. If so, could the wiring for the module be the culprit, or perhaps the module itself?
I actually used Carly to code in the feature of closing the roof with the key fob lock button. I've had it coded for awhile and I don't think it would have caused the issue. Anyways, my roof has been functioning normally and hopefully it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Have you checked out the micro switch inside the trunk where plastic parcel shelf touches it ? There's a metal piece that supposed to keep the switch pressed in. Make sure it's working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
Have you checked out the micro switch inside the trunk where plastic parcel shelf touches it ? There's a metal piece that supposed to keep the switch pressed in. Make sure it's working correctly.
I totally agree.

The Micro-switch will cause a no light/no start which you reported. Your Micro-switch might be failing or simply tarnished and needs to be cleaned with contact cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
blufc3s
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Where is this micro switch located? My top opens and seems to settle in place but the red light continues to flash. TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #9
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufc3s View Post
Quote:
Where is this micro switch located? My top opens and seems to settle in place but the red light continues to flash. TIA
Its in the trunk there is plastic parcel shelf when you it your hyenas in and look up. Exactly in the middle of the trunk on its back wall. Photo attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #10
jwolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport MT N-55 / Z4 3.0i

When it is not working, do you still hear a the electric motor run? A bad hall switch would cause a red light to pop up in the button area. So when it kicks off, look at the buttons. I am wondering if this is hydraulic or electric.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #11
blufc3s
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Its in the trunk there is plastic parcel shelf when you it your hyenas in and look up. Exactly in the middle of the trunk on its back wall. Photo attached
Thanks, sorry for the late response

The bolt holding the microswitch in place was loose. When the top was down the red light on the “down switch “ would continue to flash.

Last edited by blufc3s; 11-17-2022 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0