ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

|| My Build Thread: Retrograde - AirREX Bagged e85 Roadster ||

So I figured it was time to start a thread since I'm finally making real progress on the Z4 I picked up a few months ago. Reason for the delay was I was on the fence about selling it and getting back in a four door but I realized I would truly miss the roadster life. So for now a 4 door must wait. (hopefully till this coming summer coughbaggedCCcough).

I want to thank everyone that has helped with this project so far. My team who also happens to be my best friends/Fam. I know I can always count on them when I need help with my cars. Wing@Memory Fab, Euro Euro Enginuity, AirRex Suspension, Air Lift and I'm sure I'm missing some...

For reference here's my last project. Bagged Audi TT 225q.

Anyways here is the Z4 I picked up back at the beginning of summer. It's a 2005 2.5i 5 speed. Saphire Black on Imola red. The car overall was in great condition but definitely needed a little TLC so a lot of the stuff done is to bring it back to life.

The first week I bought the car I hit a turkey vulture on my way to work (I work out in the middle of nowhere at a winery). Fortunately it just cracked the grills and scuffed up the bumper but a week later as I was washing the car the windshield cracked. Thinking it was related.

So I ordered some things from ECS Tuning, who always is a pleasure to deal with.

Black grills

Racing Dash LED License plate lights

Significantly brighter than OEM. Pictures don't do them justice. It's a perfect 6500k color IMO.

(With my bagged Audi TT 225Q before I sold it)

I'm a lighting whore so I added some more stuff along with the racing dash LEDS. One thing I wanted to change was the old cracking (common roadster problem) clear third brake light with an OEM red one. Also de-badged the rear and sides.

Installed

I also changed the headlights to 8000k D2S and the fogs to 2500k Nokya's

Last edited by M-Power M3; 09-24-2014 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

The OEM headlights were really hazed when I got the car so I made sure to buff those out. Not bad considering the alternative was to buy new ones at over $700+ each

Next up I found some Style 264 wheels off a 1 series on craigslist. I made an offer and got them for a steal.

Of course I got bored and painted them gun metal. I rattled canned them but did it in essentially a temp controlled paint booth so they came out amazing. I commute 60+ miles a day for work and they are holding up perfectly.

I also gave in and got the windows tinted. 35% 3M...

Last edited by M-Power M3; 11-07-2012 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

Now for the fun stuff. I actually ordered AirRex bags from Memory Fab the week I bought the car. They're built to order so it took them about a month and a half to get here but the wait was WELL worth it. The quality is amazing.

Fronts

Close up (Adult Signature Required - bags aren't for kids )

Like I mentioned earlier I was on the fence about what I was gonna do with the car so the bags sat for a bit. I finally made my mind up and ordered the rest.

Trying to figure out where the tank and compressor will go...

While waiting for my management we killed some time with my buddies 335i...

Pretty much the exact same setup the Z4 will receive. AirRex front and rears and Air Lift Autopilot V2 Management.

With the Drivers side done, full shoot once the Z4 is done...

Finally my management came and the build can begin!

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

First thing is to take apart the trunk...

Rear bags in

Front bags vs. OEM

Fronts installed and lines ran

Working on the mounting board for the tank and compressor.

At this point I stopped taking pics but here's a teaser shot aired down and with the fender lining holding everything up...Also I decided to keep the sway bars and endlinks on all four corners. So no laying frame at the moment but handles like it's on coils!

More to come..stay tuned. :woot:
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
The bagged look isn't my taste, but it definitely looks like you're taking the time to do things right. The nice thing about the forums… there's something for everyone.
I do dig the wheels and those headlights now look brand new!
      11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I am really liking them wheels. Awesome when you can get something for a steal. Great job on painting them too!!
      11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

looks great
      11-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

What did you use to buff out your headlights?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
atenzany62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

great mods, bagged suspension is really cool imo. can raise them up for comfort, and lower them to the right spec for track. then dump them all the way just for shows.

you should get some rare front end like rieger front bumper. would love to see that bumper on a black z4.
      11-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

looking good!! like what you did for the suspension
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
The bagged look isn't my taste, but it definitely looks like you're taking the time to do things right. The nice thing about the forums… there's something for everyone.
I do dig the wheels and those headlights now look brand new!
Thanks! I love being a little different and couldn't agree with you more. There's def something out there for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
I am really liking them wheels. Awesome when you can get something for a steal. Great job on painting them too!!
Thanks! They fit the style of the z4 perfectly. I'm trying to source another pair of rears to run a square setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
What did you use to buff out your headlights?
My buddy works for the local stealership and he had one of the detailers buff them out. I'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atenzany62 View Post
great mods, bagged suspension is really cool imo. can raise them up for comfort, and lower them to the right spec for track. then dump them all the way just for shows.

you should get some rare front end like rieger front bumper. would love to see that bumper on a black z4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
looking good!! like what you did for the suspension
It's tough to beat bags! These AirRex struts are really impressive. I ran Air Lift and Bagyard before and those great, felt like riding on lowering springs. Soft and OEM like. These AirRex's feel like coils and drive like coils. I'm still running my sway bars as well which most people on bags can't or don't and it drives amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

hey man. I like your threads. I think I have seen your threads over on e46. Liking the roadster.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

hey were did you buy the fog lights bulb? do you recommend them? no error light o the dash?
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
hey man. I like your threads. I think I have seen your threads over on e46. Liking the roadster.
Yup I've been on there for years. No matter what car I end up in I always end up back there haha

Quote:
hey were did you buy the fog lights bulb? do you recommend them? no error light o the dash?
Just ebay Nokya 2500k H7 and they'll be on there. I get mine from a seller in SoCal. I've had 12+ sets of nokya bulbs and recommend them to everyone. No problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

isn't h11 for fog lights? h7 is for headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #16
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

Quote:
isn't h11 for fog lights? h7 is for headlights
my bad yeah yeah h7 are flashers and h11 are fogs. Like I've said I've bought so many over the years I lose track haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

lovely car. bagged itīs not my style but I really like what u did with your wheels and Iīm already wondering whatīs your next move so keep the pics coming. btw, donīt think your interior is imola red as it was a color for Mīs only. I think the color non Mīs use is called magic red or something similar. congrats on the car, bro.
      11-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemex12 View Post
lovely car. bagged itīs not my style but I really like what u did with your wheels and Iīm already wondering whatīs your next move so keep the pics coming. btw, donīt think your interior is imola red as it was a color for Mīs only. I think the color non Mīs use is called magic red or something similar. congrats on the car, bro.
Yeah, it looks like my Dream Red interior. Same seats as mine. Even with the M Sports seat option, it did not come as Imola Red. Only the M's got Imola Red.

Last edited by Loogey Clapp; 11-10-2012 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: speling
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
crossfire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

The car is perfect, I'm very interesting in this kit, How much is the air setup ? everything?

Does this comes plug and play for z4? ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemex12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
Yeah, it looks like my Dream Red interior. Same seats as mine. Even with the M Sports seat option, it did not come as Imola Red. Only the M's got Imola Red.
Thanks guys, yeah it could be dream red. I don't know much about the options for these cars. Either way I enjoy the seats and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
The car is perfect, I'm very interesting in this kit, How much is the air setup ? everything?

Does this comes plug and play for z4? ?
Thanks! Yes the AirRex struts/bags bolt on just as coils would. They come with adjustable endlinks and optional camber plates.

Running the lines and AirLift V2 management is also pretty much plug and play. I was able to run my lines and controller without having to drill any holes. Just had to take off some interior/trunk panels and loosen up the fender liner.

I've been tweaking with the suspension a bit since the install. I had to turn the rear dampening all the way down to 0 clicks. It still amazes me how much these bags feel like coils. I had Air Lift on my TT and it was great but AirRex is another level. Especially with the sways still connected it makes my 30 mile commute through wine country to work everyday so much more fun.

I also had a little problem with my controller but AirLift customer service is top notch and they are overnighting me a new one

Here's a single shot I too the other night. Working on some ways to bring the rear down more. (Most likely will have to disconnect the rear sway).

And I ended up getting these from a good friend (Benjo - AznAssassin) for a STEAL so I might rock them for a bit once I get new tires.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Motionblurrr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300 *sold*

really awesome man
      11-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep