ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Bumper Repaint (Much Needed)

I had a new bumper installed as part of some insurance work a few years back. Unfortunately the body shop cut a lot of corners, and apparently didn’t even use primer, since large sections of paint had started to completely flake away down to the bare bumper.

I spent a couple of weeks fighting with them over the warranty, but finally my insurance company that they contract for was able to convince them to honor it.

They had my car for this entire week, but I was finally able to pick it back up today. They did a far, far better job this time around, which I’m thankful for. It’s so nice to not have the large collection of rock chips that I had accumulated, as well as the flaking paint issue being fixed. They had to strip it down entirely before primer and paint, so hopefully the issue will not occur again. Amazingly they even paint matched my reflectors, and kept the lower center portion of the bumper flat black.

Once the paint finishes curing I’m definitely going to get a clear bra installed this time around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
3798j11325.00
gds52886.00
      07-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I can't stand that shops do this. And it's always to insurance companies, I guess they feel less guilty or something. They bill for the primer, they bill for the best clear coat and the car receives neither. It's difficult to find a shop that does decent work anymore. Anyways, the car looks perfect, don't let that experience ruin anything for you!
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I can't stand that shops do this. And it's always to insurance companies, I guess they feel less guilty or something. They bill for the primer, they bill for the best clear coat and the car receives neither. It's difficult to find a shop that does decent work anymore. Anyways, the car looks perfect, don't let that experience ruin anything for you!
Yeah, it's a sad fact, but very common. This chain has been bought out by two separate companies in the 9 years I've had my car, and they used to be quite honest and did outstanding work. I've continued using them over the years because of the first awesome experience I had with them years ago, and because it's simple considering they contract directly with USAA.

Unfortunately they've progressively gotten worse and worse. During the same bit of insurance work they forgot to install a gasket where the oil line meets the oil cooler, which caused me to leak a significant amount of oil all over the roadway before I realized it; could have been catastrophic. Also billed insurance for the the rear diffuser section that they didn't replace because they claimed they "couldn't find one" so I ended up purchasing one from ECS and having it installed myself.

Now they they have fixed this issue, I'll never use them again.

But having a refreshed front bumper is definitely amazing! I used to cringe when I'd get close enough to see the literally hundreds of chip marks all over it...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
Yeah, it's a sad fact, but very common. This chain has been bought out by two separate companies in the 9 years I've had my car, and they used to be quite honest and did outstanding work. I've continued using them over the years because of the first awesome experience I had with them years ago, and because it's simple considering they contract directly with USAA.

Unfortunately they've progressively gotten worse and worse. During the same bit of insurance work they forgot to install a gasket where the oil line meets the oil cooler, which caused me to leak a significant amount of oil all over the roadway before I realized it; could have been catastrophic. Also billed insurance for the the rear diffuser section that they didn't replace because they claimed they "couldn't find one" so I ended up purchasing one from ECS and having it installed myself.

Now they they have fixed this issue, I'll never use them again.

But having a refreshed front bumper is definitely amazing! I used to cringe when I'd get close enough to see the literally hundreds of chip marks all over it...
Non-car people would look at it and say it's not so bad. To us the car looks totaled haha
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Looks great.
This is one reason I always avoid chain brands. Do your research and find a good local shop. Most insurance companies are ok with that.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My ZHP coupe got rear-ended about 5 years ago, and the idiot's insurance company sent me to one of these "chain" body shops for an estimate, and the idiots wanted to "repair" the plastic bumper cover rather than replace it. Also wanted to use "recycled" parts everywhere. Funkdat. Had it fixed at a little 2-man shop, with proper new OEM parts, and the results were impeccable. The paint was blended so incredibly well, that even under varying light conditions and angles, you absolutely couldn't tell that a portion of the car had been repainted - and it was Titanium Silver, which could be difficult to match if not done be a real pro that cares about his work.

Yes, avoid these "chain" operations like the plague.
      07-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
I'm glad you got the bumper fixed. Usually body shops would shoot adhesion promoter then wait for it to flash before applying the primer. If the painter skips that process then the bumper will flake off in time or whenever the bumper is hit.

This happened to me twice I ended up painting the bumper myself. BTW, Nice M Coupe!
Appreciate 2
wdb4716.50
      07-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bears View Post
I'm glad you got the bumper fixed. Usually body shops would shoot adhesion promoter then wait for it to flash before applying the primer. If the painter skips that process then the bumper will flake off in time or whenever the bumper is hit.

This happened to me twice I ended up painting the bumper myself. BTW, Nice M Coupe!
That makes complete sense. And you had to be rather irritated at two less than acceptable paint jobs. I'm hopeful this one will last me a good long while...

And thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
When I had my front bumper fixed a few years ago because someone pulled too far forward in a parking lot and cracked the "septum" between the two kidney grilles (mixed anatomical references, I know...) the body shop offered to paint the "fang" portions of the front bumper flat black to make it easier to touch up when they would invariably get scratched up again.

And of course they did, so I was able to easily repaint that portion of the bumper. Refinishing the ground down corners was a bit harder though, since I had never done any body work, but I finally got it to where I wanted again.

Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
When I had my front bumper fixed a few years ago because someone pulled too far forward in a parking lot and cracked the "septum" between the two kidney grilles (mixed anatomical references, I know...) the body shop offered to paint the "fang" portions of the front bumper flat black to make it easier to touch up when they would invariably get scratched up again.

And of course they did, so I was able to easily repaint that portion of the bumper. Refinishing the ground down corners was a bit harder though, since I had never done any body work, but I finally got it to where I wanted again.
Oddly enough I've never once had an issue with my fangs. But then again I also always back into parking spaces and am pretty careful to avoid big dips/dropoffs.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Regarding fang repair - I mangled up one fang pretty badly on my first Z4MC about a decade ago. I got a tip that there was a little shop in Chandler AZ that specialized in minor repairs like this, in fact their primary business was lease return refurb work for the nearby massive BMW dealership. I call the dude up and he wants $200 for a complete fang refurbishment, kindling R&R'ing the bumper, repair, and respray. Holy carp that's a bargain. So I make an appointment and when I show up and he sees that only one side is bad, "Oh, just one? That's $100." Impossibly impeccable work for $100 and I saw them working on other cars and saw the process. Absolutely amazing. If anyone is in metro Phoenix needing such a repair, or anything similar, these are the guys...

https://www.azspotrepair.com
SD ///M42992.00
      07-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's the repaired fang on the driver's side...