ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Removal of the soft top trunk shelf?

I've searched and searched. just can't seem to find a good DIY instruction of removing the soft top shelf in the trunk.

I think I've seen a really good thread on that in the past. Just can't seemed to find it.

Can anyone help?

Cheers and TIA.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
LisaLannister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

Can I ask why you want to remove it? I hear creaking from it when going over bumps and was wondering how to either stop it from making these noises or removing it entirely.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

There's 3 clips per side holding it in. You pretty much squeeze the tabs on each one pushing them up as they pop up onto the shelf when they release. If you can have someone on the inside catching them as the pop free they won't bounce anywhere. Then there's a trim piece of fabric with a rubber grove trim that runs the length of the back of the shelf you'll see if you're looking at the top of the shelf from the trunk. Just wiggle that free from the grove it sits in on the shelf.

When the shelf is out you have to tape the switch closed if you want to ever put the top down if it's not a manual top.

Caution if there's anything in the trunk that sticks up past where the shelf is in down position and the top goes down the glass will hit what ever it is!

Go to this link for detail step by step with pics

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Last edited by Piper1; 07-17-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Thanks, I needed that for the convertible motor work
      07-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Thanks, I needed that for the convertible motor work
No worries. You'll also need this if ever replacing rear shocks.
I had attempted to do the motor relocation after mine was on the fritz but buggered stuff up not being able to get into the tight spots needed cause of big hands. Was a costly experience had motor all fittings and lines replaced at the same time. With the motor in the original place I'll be doing this instead : https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381

It's simply easier doing that and back blowing the drains out ever so often in my opinion than doing the relocation on your own. I'm sure others that have done it will chime in as well but not able to bend and twist from a back injury as it was and big hands just made for a rough time attempting the relocation myself.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
There's 3 clips per side holding it in. You pretty much squeeze the tabs on each one pushing them up as they pop up onto the shelf when they release. If you can have someone on the inside catching them as the pop free they won't bounce anywhere. Then there's a trim piece of fabric with a rubber grove trim that runs the length of the back of the shelf you'll see if you're looking at the top of the shelf from the trunk. Just wiggle that free from the grove it sits in on the shelf.

When the shelf is out you have to tape the switch closed if you want to ever put the top down if it's not a manual top.

Caution if there's anything in the trunk that sticks up past where the shelf is in down position and the top goes down the glass will hit what ever it is!

Go to this link for detail step by step with pics

It’s important to recognize that the rear glass is built into - and an integrated part of - the convertible top, so if you break that glass you have to replace the canvas top too. And that is not a cheap repair. $$$$

So be very careful if you plan to use the car with that tray removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

It’s important to recognize that the rear glass is built into the convertible top, so if you break that glass you have to replace the top too. And that is not a cheap repair. $$$$

So be very careful if you plan to use the car with that tray removed.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
jhm5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, 440i, Z4 MR, 2002

I had no trouble getting the clips to pop out. I can not figure out how to replace them. The shelf actually stays in without the clips, until you move it up or down for trunk access.
Helpful info:
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95952

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pop the clips in either reaching up before replacing the fabric back liner or from inside ther car. More of a feel than visual in putting them back in. First time I clipped them back I reached from inside the trunk, last time I had it out I went from inside the car and thought that way worked a little better.
Appreciate 0