ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
2008si
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4

08 SI oil leak help?

Totally new to this car. I googled this leak I have. In this pic I oil sitting below the black round cap (Oil filter cap?) on top of the oil cooler. Below that you see the leak is hitting the rad hose going in under that area. The front of the motor is oil free/very clean. The belt is in great shape, no squeals from an oil drip if active. Is there a seal at cooler to housing it is on? Is that black cap leaking?
I don't have a bad leak, everything is just kinda sweaty covered in oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The oil filter cap has an o ring that should be replaced every time you change the filter( the filters typically come with a new o ring for the cap and a crush washer for the drain plug )
If that o ring is not seated properly or the torque on the cap is not to spec you will get pressurized oil leaking. Look at both those things I would say.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Have that same leak on mine so I'm subbing.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
The oil filter cap has an o ring that should be replaced every time you change the filter( the filters typically come with a new o ring for the cap and a crush washer for the drain plug )
If that o ring is not seated properly or the torque on the cap is not to spec you will get pressurized oil leaking. Look at both those things I would say.
This!

Then keep monitoring the area around. Next (in order of complexity) suspect would be the oil filter housing gasket. If still leaking - check the valve cover gasket. But oil will be everywhere around if the valve cover is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
vapormike
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe 3.0si

Ditto on checking the O ring. But this looks like a classic case of oil filter housing gasket. You can see there seems to be a lot of oil gathered just right beneath the housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Depending on your mileage might be due for vcg, oil gasket, etc...I'd say year wise your in the ballpark for it.
Appreciate 0