ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
jjarrell
Rep
Drives: Soon!

Z4M, new too me, punishing ride

I've got a new Z4m and living in NNJ i've got some really tasty twistys nearby. Problem is the twistier it gets, the rougher the road.

I fully 100% expected a stiff suspension (stock, w/micheline sport pilots) but when I get out on these rough roads it is downright punishing. two short drives over the weekend and my back still hurts.

I haven't heard anyone use punishing as a descriptive word in this context. I'm thinking something is wrong here. something must be wore out or broken.

I'm prepared to fix it up so no worries there. but I'm wondering, am i not really as hard core as this car.

Would anyone here describe the ride as "punishing" on a relatively rough road?

Suggestions for mods?
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      03-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Are you on stock springs & dampers?

For reference, I have bilstein B6's over Eibach lowering springs, which is a popular daily driver / mild track combination. They're comfortable until they hit anything "sharp" a pothole lip or whatever - and then bottom out w/ a savage bang. I'm looking at stacking bump stops, or replacing the stock bumpstops w/ some Koni progressives or something, because I've got a lot of bad roads to navigate to.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Coupe or roadster? Stock wheels, or something larger or heavier (stock 224's are quite heavy in the first place)? Suspension?

The ride is definitely "stiff" and can be punishing, I don't think any owner would dispute that. If you're on stock 18" wheels, perhaps going to a 17-incher, and lighter in the process if possible to reduce unsprung weight, would be a perceivable help.

I'm lucky, Arizona has incredibly well-maintained roads, so it's not an issue for me out here. But when I used to drive my old Z4MC to Southern California once in a while, I was reminded just how bad the roads have gotten out there, and how difficult it would be to drive this car on those roads without suffering mightily.
      03-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I drive in SoCal every day. "Punishing" is an apt description.
There are a lot of places where I'd like to give it some welly, but I can't get the power down because the back end keeps bouncing up off the ground.

Assuming your dampers are good, wait until they're not.
I have B6s on stock springs and they're shot. They bottom out on the smallest of sharp bumps, with the aforementioned savage bang.
Sometimes I'm surprised the air bags don't go off.

Why don't I replace the dampers?
They've been on order since 09/04/18.
I got the fronts in December. Still waiting for the rears.
      03-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
jjarrell
Rep

I'm driving a coupe. It's stock. I am considering bilsteins or koni's to improve. the occasional bang I'd consider okay. I hadn't considered smaller wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

My coupe has been gone for a little over a year now but I clearly recall the harsh and I'd agree with punishing ride on a bad road. My car had 19" conti's which contributed ass punishing it could give.

My 993 is so much better a ride. I'm not dissing the Z4MC at all, if you read any of the reviews the car has a very stiff suspension which is a good thing, but maybe a bit too stiff for road use.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit....

....consists of Bilstein B8 performance shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, which lower the front appx 3/4 in and the rear 3/8 in. This setup is non-ride height adjustable. This setup does NOT increase ride comfort, but does increase handling performance. The car feels like it's on rails....the handling is simply incredible. As stated in this thread, when a Seattle street "imperfection" is encountered, this setup is significantly more harsh in ride quality. IMHO, the increased handling performance is the goal, the ride quality is not. The visual of the lowered look is go-e-gous. Additionally, I installed BMW ZHP FCA's that have metal ball joints, OEM FCAB's, all other shock/strut assembly parts were replaced (spring pads, guide supports, shock mounts, bump stops, strut bearings, etc).

For the non-Z4M cars, please comment if the OEM ride quality is to their liking.
      03-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
I'm driving a coupe. It's stock. I am considering bilsteins or koni's to improve. the occasional bang I'd consider okay. I hadn't considered smaller wheels/tires.
The rear shocks have lost all rebound, or almost all rebound, and is allowing the rears to sit on the bump stops. Replace the shocks, shock mounts (SOP anytime you’re swapping out shocks) and the bump stop and the car will ride 1,000x better.

EDIT: It’s never going to ride like a typical 3 series, because the chassis is so insanely stiff and the springs are relatively harsh in comparison. A set of bad, old, or blown out shock that restricts suspension travel exacerbate it.

Even when new, the ride is harsh, but not punishing. It gets punishing as the dampers age out. I swapped a set of 8 years old koni rebound adjustable shocks out to the 25,000 miles, 3 year old stock shocks when I sent the Koni’s in for a rebuild, and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 03-05-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I have B6s on stock springs and they're shot. They bottom out on the smallest of sharp bumps, with the aforementioned savage bang.
I ran B6's & stock springs on my original Z4MC, from 40k miles until I sold it at 57k miles. I thought it was an excellent combination, and it was important to me to retain the original ride height for clearance reasons.

I'm surprised your B6's are shot - how many miles on them? B6/B8's are usually good for 100k+ miles.

Only 37k miles on my current car but I'm already thinking of how I'll address the suspension eventually. I think the stock dampers are only good for 40k-ish miles before they are worn enough to warrant replacement. I'm either going with B6's again, or possibly the Eibach kit that includes them. But that would drop me a bit and I worry about ground clearance.
kaybat125.50
      03-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

B12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I ran B6's & stock springs on my original Z4MC, from 40k miles until I sold it at 57k miles. I thought it was an excellent combination, and it was important to me to retain the original ride height for clearance reasons.

I'm surprised your B6's are shot - how many miles on them? B6/B8's are usually good for 100k+ miles.

Only 37k miles on my current car but I'm already thinking of how I'll address the suspension eventually. I think the stock dampers are only good for 40k-ish miles before they are worn enough to warrant replacement. I'm either going with B6's again, or possibly the Eibach kit that includes them. But that would drop me a bit and I worry about ground clearance.
The B12 kit consists of Bilstein B8 performance shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, which lower the front appx 3/4 in and the rear 3/8 in. It's been 2 yrs with this setup and I've been able to accommodate/adapt the lowered ride height without any damage (a few errant touches on a lower fang - but no visible damage).
      03-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

About 80k miles. Like you, I can't abide any drop.
If you can find more B6s, send your current ones for rebuild. That's what I plan to do if I can ever get another set together.

They're like hen's teeth, and I think it'll only get worse.
      03-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
jjarrell
Rep

how does the B6 compare to the B16s that are in a PSS10 suspension kit? which one leans more street as opposed to track? And I see Koni variant 3 kits out there. anyone has an opinion as to which one is better for me (adjustable, reasonable comfort)

Last edited by jjarrell; 03-05-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep

jjarrell I understood the B6's to be a performance oriented stock replacement damper - i.e.: street friendly. The experience of the forum people with different combinations of spring and damper have narrowed down the B6 and Eibach Prokit as a good combination that balances daily streetability w/ good manners on track.

That being said - those savage bottoms - I'm not convinced my B6's aren't shot somehow, or missing bumpstops or something - I can't imagine a suspension system design that allows for impacts like the ones I've experienced.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #14
jjarrell
Rep

yes. agreed. the way mine rides i fear i'd injure a passenger it's so harsh. I'm convinced with your folks input that mine can't possibly be right. It's in the shop now getting some other work done and I've asked for a check up.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegz4m View Post
jjarrell I understood the B6's to be a performance oriented stock replacement damper - i.e.: street friendly. The experience of the forum people with different combinations of spring and damper have narrowed down the B6 and Eibach Prokit as a good combination that balances daily streetability w/ good manners on track.

That being said - those savage bottoms - I'm not convinced my B6's aren't shot somehow, or missing bumpstops or something - I can't imagine a suspension system design that allows for impacts like the ones I've experienced.

^This
The B6 is pretty close to stock. When I put mine on my stocks were shot, and the B6s were welcome relief.
Only started getting the "savage bangs" after 65-70k miles of bad road, about the same time that I started to hear rumbly thumply noises on very low speed bumps, like pulling into a driveway.
      03-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
yes. agreed. the way mine rides i fear i'd injure a passenger it's so harsh. I'm convinced with your folks input that mine can't possibly be right. It's in the shop now getting some other work done and I've asked for a check up.
I bought my Z4M Roadster from Ohio and drove it all the way back to South Carolina. It was a pretty punishing ride up in Ohio where the pot holes were pretty bad. It honestly makes my lowered E92 M3 feel like a 5 Series.

However, I don't blame the car though, I think it's actually quite cool that it comes out of the factory that hardcore. On more normal roads, it handles great. But probably not a bad idea to get yours checked.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

It's Sporty!!

Last edited by StickMon; 03-06-2019 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm also looking to replace springs and dampers. I'll take some of the advice from the thread here. My ride is really harsh too, and I think it's time for some replacement parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #19
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I've got a new Z4m and living in NNJ
This is your answer. With the roads we have specially this time of the year, I am surprised you haven't bent a rim or lost a tooth filling yet

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
these cars(M's)ride inherently harsh. I had a non-M Z before this one, and was shocked at the difference. used to it now.
      03-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #21
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
I find this thread interesting. I sold my 06 Z4M Roady 5 years ago (It is in San Jose now and at I think a good home because CarFax says it has averaged only 400+ miles per year with this owner). I upgraded to the Z4M from a Z3 and also at the time had a 328 with sport suspension. I never thought the ride was harsh in my Z4M. Actually, I thought it was a bit softer than I would have liked. I also live in NJ, southern part of the state, but our roads can be just as bad as North Jersey if we have a particularly bad winter. So, my thinking is that something is definately worn out on your car, it shouldn't be THAT jarring.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #22
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

+1 for B6s and stock springs. Running a 2008 Z4 M Roadster on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in, OMG, Tucson. Tucson, for those of your fortunate enough to have avoided our fair city, has an amazing selection of poorly maintained roads. Received the car with run-flats and totally worn out OEM dampers and struts at 40K miles. The change was transcendental.
Appreciate 0