ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

That’s odd actually that your M had run flats. As far as I know, all Z4Ms were fitted with conventional tires from the factory.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
That’s odd actually that your M had run flats. As far as I know, all Z4Ms were fitted with conventional tires from the factory.
Some (I know shocking) do put run flats on there as an added security if they do a lot of rural driving. At one point, I was considering doing the same since I was doing a lot of road trips with mine; especially after seeing one of our friends having a puncture that wasn't sealable with my BMW "Mobility Kit" on one of our trip. Luckily for him, he had run flats and was able to limp 40 some odd miles into town to get a temporary tire to drive the rest of the way home.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #25
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
+1 for B6s and stock springs. Running a 2008 Z4 M Roadster on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in, OMG, Tucson. Tucson, for those of your fortunate enough to have avoided our fair city, has an amazing selection of poorly maintained roads. Received the car with run-flats and totally worn out OEM dampers and struts at 40K miles. The change was transcendental.
I'm all too familiar with Tucson roads. What I don't get is metro Phoenix is exactly the opposite - perhaps the best-maintained roads in the country, both the freeways and in town.

Not surprised the OEM dampers were shot at 40k. That's exactly the point I replaced mine on my first Z4MC with Bilstein B6's.

Interesting that someone had put runflats on the car, they never came that way from the factory. Even though I live in the sticks in southern Arizona, I'd rather roll with a cellphone & AAA card than run on those things.
      03-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Some (I know shocking) do put run flats on there as an added security if they do a lot of rural driving. At one point, I was considering doing the same since I was doing a lot of road trips with mine; especially after seeing one of our friends having a puncture that wasn't sealable with my BMW "Mobility Kit" on one of our trip. Luckily for him, he had run flats and was able to limp 40 some odd miles into town to get a temporary tire to drive the rest of the way home.
Thanks- that explains it!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Some (I know shocking) do put run flats on there as an added security if they do a lot of rural driving. ...

I resemble that remark.
ContiSportContact 5 SSR.
      03-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #28
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

That's exactly what happened. I purchased the car with a little over 40K miles from BMW North Scottsdale. PO added the (quite good quality) Bridgestone run-flats. +1 on the cell phone solution!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #29
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Correct. They came w/ ContiSport Contact 2's and even the manual says:

"In contrast to the descriptions in the Owner's Manual for the BMW Z4, your BMW Z4 M Roadster/Z4 M Coupe is not equipped with Run-Flat Tires."

A lot of people weren't thrilled w/ the ride/handling of the OEM tires and swapped them out fairly quickly. Not too surprising if there are some RF's out there, though, since some don't like using slime cans or the prospect of plugging a tire in the field.
      03-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
GivWay
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO 2017 X6 BSM 2006 Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
I find this thread interesting. I sold my 06 Z4M Roady 5 years ago (It is in San Jose now and at I think a good home because CarFax says it has averaged only 400+ miles per year with this owner). I upgraded to the Z4M from a Z3 and also at the time had a 328 with sport suspension. I never thought the ride was harsh in my Z4M. Actually, I thought it was a bit softer than I would have liked. I also live in NJ, southern part of the state, but our roads can be just as bad as North Jersey if we have a particularly bad winter. So, my thinking is that something is definately worn out on your car, it shouldn't be THAT jarring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
I find this thread interesting. I sold my 06 Z4M Roady 5 years ago (It is in San Jose now and at I think a good home because CarFax says it has averaged only 400+ miles per year with this owner). I upgraded to the Z4M from a Z3 and also at the time had a 328 with sport suspension. I never thought the ride was harsh in my Z4M. Actually, I thought it was a bit softer than I would have liked. I also live in NJ, southern part of the state, but our roads can be just as bad as North Jersey if we have a particularly bad winter. So, my thinking is that something is definately worn out on your car, it shouldn't be THAT jarring.
+1
2006 Z4MR TSM
Appreciate 0