ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

is anyone from Apex still coming around? Need help on current ARC-8 group buy

Before anyone says anything I've spent hours and hours reading every thread on the internet about this, Literally.

I have an '07 Z4 M Coupe and am going to buy wheels in the current ARC-8 group buy but I really don't want the front wheels to have the shallower face profile. I've seen all the info suggesting that to get 9.5" wheels in the front you HAVE to run a bunch of negative camber (I'm buying FA 500 coilovers so will have camber plates), but I don't want to have to run so much that the tire wear on the front will be compromised. Part of the confusion is that in the spreadsheet that they have there's apparently one guy running 9.5" wheels on a stock setup with no rubbing. I don't mind the idea of carefully rolling the fenders too.

I guess it begs the question of what's the most camber you can run and still get even tire wear and will that be enough? I do plan on lowering the car too.

I do not track the car at all, btw.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I think I'm running -2.9 degrees with no rubbing on that setup. Also, on coilovers with camber plates and a "functionally low" ride height. Not sure any of that is really helpful though. Good luck in your search. The guys at APEX are pretty great about helping everyone out.
      03-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

How's front tire wear? I suspect at that camber you only get half the life out of the tires since the inner edge is gone pretty quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I think I'm running -2.9 degrees with no rubbing on that setup. Also, on coilovers with camber plates and a "functionally low" ride height. Not sure any of that is really helpful though. Good luck in your search. The guys at APEX are pretty great about helping everyone out.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I don't drive my car all that often unfortunately. Last I checked the wear was pretty close to even across both fronts but my service schedule and summary are on a different laptop so I'm not sure how many miles they have on them. Probably not more than 5,000 so not enough to see just how serious the uneven wear is.

Edit: I have just shy of 7,000 miles on my tires and no measurable difference between inner and outer wear.

Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 03-15-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Tire wear due to negative camber is a very misunderstood topic. 95% of the time that the inner edge of a tire wears before the rest, it is actually a result of tow wear.

You will be fine running up to -3 degrees of camber front. Just make sure to get an alignment such that toe specs are within oem range. Out of spec tow will chew threw tires in 2k miles. A properly aligned set up with even -3 degrees of negative camber should be able to last 10 times that amount, depending on how you drive, where you drive, and the tires your choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
DaveJB, I was in your shoes a few years ago, I initially pulled the trigger and went with a set of ARC-8s that I absolutely loved except for the front flat rim profile : http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525150

When Apex announced the launch of the EC-7s with more sizes I jumped on the first group buy and purchased those. The EC-7s have 3 profile sizes, and I was able to get Profile 2 fronts and Profile 3 rears by going with the following sizes and didn't run into any clearance/rubbing issues. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859061
F: 18 x 9 ET 31mm
R: 18 x 10 ET 25mm
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting the wheels I want and I'll do what it takes to make 'em work. Yesterday I just paid for the Fortune Auto 500 coilovers (with Swift spring and the radial bearing upgrade) and I'll roll the fenders if I have to.

I can say that the cars I've seen with the ARC-8 wheels with 9.5" wheels in the front look seriously bad-a$$.

I'm no rich guy but ugh, $1200-ish for the wheels, $1575 for the coilovers and I'll need two back tires at about $400. Don't tell the wife!
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Admittedly I'm a bit skeptical that -3 degrees of camber won't increase tire wear but I do agree that toe is a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Tire wear due to negative camber is a very misunderstood topic. 95% of the time that the inner edge of a tire wears before the rest, it is actually a result of tow wear.

You will be fine running up to -3 degrees of camber front. Just make sure to get an alignment such that toe specs are within oem range. Out of spec tow will chew threw tires in 2k miles. A properly aligned set up with even -3 degrees of negative camber should be able to last 10 times that amount, depending on how you drive, where you drive, and the tires your choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I don't drive my car all that often unfortunately. Last I checked the wear was pretty close to even across both fronts but my service schedule and summary are on a different laptop so I'm not sure how many miles they have on them. Probably not more than 5,000 so not enough to see just how serious the uneven wear is.

Edit: I have just shy of 7,000 miles on my tires and no measurable difference between inner and outer wear.
Somehow I missed this edit. But you're at nearly 3 degrees and even tire wear? That's damn good news for me then
Appreciate 0