ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Question Performance Exhuast help??

Have a new 08 3.0si and it is a fiiiine car indeed. Just curious about exhaust changes am pondering. Yes, its sophormoric I guess, but after the Z3 and this many years in roadsters, this may be my last, and wish to change to different performance and sound. Question??

Anyone had any experience with Stebro and can one change out the rear muffler alone??? or do I need the center pipe as with Supersprint. This little animal does not need a new exhaust...it is a wish thing, a teen-age fun thing in my advanced years. I prefer Stebro, right now...and of course do not need to change whole system...any thots?? experience?? pitfalls...pleasures?? Thanks for all the help...its not my vocab, but this forum "rocks" --bests all.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
iranmeba
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

I've heard that the stebro exhaust drones a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
did alot of research, hopefully i can be of help to you. regardless if you have 3.0i or si, it comes down to pre/post-facelift, which is usually differentiated by cars made before or after jan 06.

yours and mine are both post-face lift and our options are limited. you can do stebro, supersprint, arqray and bahstuck.

stebro is muffler only. it connects to stock mid-pipe so it'l require cut/weld. stebro is loud. you definitely get drone bet 3000-3250rpms. also, the fit isn't great. you'll have to mess around with the hangers b/c the muffler hangs a good 2-3" too low (hangs below the bumper).

supersprint requires you to use their mid-pipe since their muffler only has a single inlet pipe whereas stock has dual. problem with supersprint is like stebro, the muffler hangs way too low in my opinion. there was another member here who got the oval tip on his coupe and you see it doesn't sit flush with the bumper. for $1100, doesn't seem worth it to get a system that doesn't fit/look right.

arqray actually has a system for our cars. unfortunately, it's price $1300 for just muffler and it's loud (88db). but fitment is perfect:

http://www.arqray.jp/englishweb/pages/new/window/11.htm

(taken directly from their website). i believe IND is a distributor

last option is bahstuck, which i think is best combo of quality/value. it comes with both a midpipe and muffler and retails for approx $1400 but bahstuck's US distributor (www.wheelsto.com) was offering a discount. although there's no pictures of it installed on a post-facelift z, in their production page, they actually have the option of you choosing pre/post-facelift with different part numbers for both. this leads me to believe they actually designed a system for both (not 1 size fits all - which is what other manufacturers do and thus the crappy fitment). also, their midpipe has the option of straight or resontaed so if drone is an issue, this should be fairly close to stock with a lower rumble. this system is also TUV approved meaning it had to meet some fairly high restrictions for production in germany so i'm betting it really does sound close to stock.
      12-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys...great review of things. You went to lot of trouble for that, and I am grateful. Just not sure now what I shall do, but it won't be hasty. When you get a fine car like this, one likes often make some personal changes...this being one of them. I am at that age where doing donuts for YouTube is not on the agenda...but a great sound is. If I can return the help in days to come, I shall..thank you. Bests///
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
iranmeba
Rep

I personally think that the beset sound is from a universal magniflow muffler, just go to any exhaust shop and they can order it for you. It's cheap too.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
ciliz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530xi

do you have any personal experiances with the magnaflow
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i have REMUS on mine.... love it, sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Talking

Did you replace system length or just rear muffler. This is a brand new 2008 3.0 and obviously do not NEED to change anything...especially whole length. I scoped Remus, liked what I saw, but have so much previous Brit experience with Stebby, and liked new specs on manufacture and using just rear section that it seeeeeems like this is what I will do---but waiting on they fitting it up to a 2008 up in Canada to see how low/high it will hang. I do not wish it having that issue here with driveway etc. So am waiting on this issue. This is strictly a vanity thing--silly but at my age and experience now, its just something an older guy wants to do. If it does not seem to work, will let it go, but suspect I shall be in grave before the system wears out enough to justify the whole system...BUT then you never know...maybe pop for whole thing [Remus style] is this will not work....eat a bit less for a month or so LOL.
When one wants something like this after these years, maybe its worth it. I'll keep you posted if interested. It is, though, in meantime, more fun than I have had in a loooong time. Bests today...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranmeba View Post
I personally think that the beset sound is from a universal magniflow muffler, just go to any exhaust shop and they can order it for you. It's cheap too.
hard to find a magnaflow with staggered tips, if won't look great since it won't follow the lines of the bumper. but i agree cost wise, i was hoping to go custom with resonator and mate to a magnaflow...
      12-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
iranmeba
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
hard to find a magnaflow with staggered tips, if won't look great since it won't follow the lines of the bumper. but i agree cost wise, i was hoping to go custom with resonator and mate to a magnaflow...
the right shop will be able cut the tips off and stagger them for you. I plan on doing it some time in the future.
Appreciate 0