ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Good luck getting the new one to fit right. Even a new OEM bumper is not going to fit properly with the hood. It's going to be to high, to low, or too big of a gap.
      10-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #24
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Good luck getting the new one to fit right. Even a new OEM bumper is not going to fit properly with the hood. It's going to be to high, to low, or too big of a gap.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but if the shop can't get it to look perfect, then I probably shouldn't have picked them in the first place.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #25
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but if the shop can't get it to look perfect, then I probably shouldn't have picked them in the first place.
a good body guy will make it all look right....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #26
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

There are plenty of adjustment points to get it to line up. Any competent body shop will be able to make it look like new...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #27
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
There are plenty of adjustment points to get it to line up. Any competent body shop will be able to make it look like new...

And if they don't, when you get to Germany, they will... Big difference in the definition of perfection between the States and here...
      10-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #28
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
if i were to buy this, would i need any other parts to fit it on my '05?
No idea. Just saw the add in passing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Sorry to hear, Dammmmittt, got any pics of the damage?

Is insurance covering the damages or are you going out of pocket on this one?
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #30
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Sorry to hear, Dammmmittt, got any pics of the damage?

Is insurance covering the damages or are you going out of pocket on this one?
Not sure, gonna get some quotes first. I haven't had much time to think about it, since I'll be homeless next week if I don't find a place.

If I can get it fixed for less than my deductible, it'd be great.

I'll post some pics of the damage after I see my car this weekend.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #31
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I finally got around to getting some estimates on the car. Looks like it'll be about $870, to repair the damage from a good body shop in town. I could a new bumper painted and installed for about $900 from another shop that's further away, but I'm not sure I like the location, although he did seem like he did pretty good work (he was rebuilding an E30 while I was there and it looked pretty good, although it was painted yet).

So I dunno, I'm thinking about just getting it repaired at the closer shop, all the porsches and bmws in the lot were reassuring, and the manager insisted that he could make it look perfect.

I'll be sure to post pics before and after the work is done.

I'm getting a little screwed by my insurance, cuz I gotta ship the car soon (to Germany), and they want to wait two weeks to send out an estimator to look at the car, so I'm just gonna get it done without their help. I guess its my fault for waiting so long, but I'm still a little pissed off...

Rant complete.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #32
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Car is going to the shop today, insurance is paying for a new bumper (minus deductible), so all is well, I'll be sure to post the before shots later today, since I know you are all greatly concerned.

I should probably pick up a clear bra to protect the new bumper before I hit the autobahns next year, anyone have any recommendations?

If I remember correctly 3M makes a decent one...

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #33
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

3M is probably the best, every one that has the brand talks highly of it. Might want to put it off as long as practical to let your paint dry/get hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
3M is probably the best, every one that has the brand talks highly of it. Might want to put it off as long as practical to let your paint dry/get hard.
Yeah, I don't think it'll go on right away...I want to get it detailed to get rid of all the little scratches and stuff also. Once it's as perfect as its gonna get I'll put the clear bra on.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #35
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Got the car back today...more to follow...

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #36
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

OK, so where to begin...

So I got the car repaired at a well respected shop in town. When I first saw the car I was excited, cuz the bumper looks like new (and it should, cuz it is), and the paint matches perfectly (at least it did from up to a few feet away).

As I looked closer, I saw that the alignment was very good, and I didn't notice any large gaps around the hood/fenders/lights, and it looked very uniform. However, on closer examination I noticed some excess wax on the paint which wasn't much of a big deal, and a small white line where it looked like the paint wasn't applied well to the bumper (could have been a hair there or something when they painted it...). Anyway, I noticed it, and the manager thought it was just excess polish/wax and got someone to try and buff it out. It didn't work, so he had someone bring it inside the shop and "get more aggressive with it". When he brought the car back, the white line was gone, and it was smooth but you could see where the line had been in the past. (I'm not sure what he did to it, but it looks like they repaired the paint quickly). Anyway, I may just be nitpicking, cuz unless you know it was there previously or were thoroughly inspecting the thing, you wouldn't see it, but I was like ok, I'll probably get a couple more nicks at least that size on the way home.

So then...I walk around the bumper one more time and I see...that the right reflector is flush against the bumper, while the left one isn't. So I was like, hey, what's up with that? So he took it back into the shop to see what they could do. So, they got it mostly flush with the bumper, and said they couldn't do any better unless they took the bumper off, but it'd be a couple hours if they did that.

Well, at this point I've been there for over an hour (probably as long as it took you to read this ) and I'm already late for where I needed to go afterwards, so I was like, whatever man, it looks mostly good, I gotta go.

So, I've been thinking about how I feel about the whole thing.

#1. The whole situation sucks, cuz whoever f'd up the bumper in the first place was either to stupid to realize they did it, or they just didn't care, either way I'm stuck with the bill. :thumbsdown:

#2. I chose the shop, because everyone recommends them, and they're supposed to be the best in town. When I brought the car in, he told me it'd be perfect when I got it back, and judging by all of the high end cars in the lot, I believed them.

#3. While I may have had high expectations for a repair, I did expect a new bumper to look perfect and for it to be perfectly aligned. That said, while they failed to check it as closely as I did, they did bend over backwards to make sure I was happy before I left, and the manager seemed a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, and he told me before I left that he hated to give it to me like that.

So, in the end, I'm happy with the customer service I got, but I think the quality control at the shop could have been better. It also sucks that I'm in a bit of hurry, and I want to ship the car on Friday, and I wanted it to be in perfect condition when it gets shipped, cuz if this wasn't the case, I probably would have left it there until it was really ready to go home.

Anyway, pics of before and after will be posted tomorrow if I get around to it.
I know.

Just thought I'd share how it went first, with everything going on this week I'm a little swamped.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #37
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Just thought I'd finish this thread off. I never really got very good shots of the car, but here's what it looked like when I brought it in to get fixed.

Before 1. (Here you can see the largest cut on the left grill and can kinda see the wrinkle in the paint on the right edge of the left grill)
Name:  before.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  388.3 KB
Before 2. (Here you can kinda see the cut on the top of the right grill.)
Name:  before 2.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  377.8 KB
This is what it looked like when I arrived to pick it up.
Name:  Arrival.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  266.8 KB
This is the little spot where the paint was missing (looks like there may have been a hair on it when it was painted).
Name:  scratch.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  234.7 KB
After the worked it some more.
Name:  after.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  238.5 KB
Closeup of where the missing paint was.
Name:  after scratch.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  173.1 KB
Closeup of the slightly off reflector.
Name:  after reflector.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  247.1 KB

Thread complete.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #38
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
First, I know how you feel. Been there and have eaten the diappointment every day for two years. Mine was a much bigger repair, but I sent the car back three times before I would accept it. That said, it is my conclusion that:

1. My standards are clearly higher, way higher, that the body shop's.
2. A perfect repair apparently is a total accident and a rare thing, indeed.
3. It does not matter who is paying, they must satisfy you and do not accept it until they do. HUGE PITA for you, but probably worth it over the long term.
4. After an incident like this, the car has lost its virginity and will NEVER be the same to you.

Good luck in the future. Start looking for a new one. Life is just too short to live with disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
First, I know how you feel. Been there and have eaten the diappointment every day for two years. Mine was a much bigger repair, but I sent the car back three times before I would accept it. That said, it is my conclusion that:

1. My standards are clearly higher, way higher, that the body shop's.
2. A perfect repair apparently is a total accident and a rare thing, indeed.
3. It does not matter who is paying, they must satisfy you and do not accept it until they do. HUGE PITA for you, but probably worth it over the long term.
4. After an incident like this, the car has lost its virginity and will NEVER be the same to you.

Good luck in the future. Start looking for a new one. Life is just too short to live with disappointment.
While I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with perfectionist expectations, I don't quite understand the looking for a new one comment...

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #40
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
While I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with perfectionist expectations, I don't quite understand the looking for a new one comment...
Sorry, I was in a black mood when I wrote that response. I was suggesting you might start looking for a new coupe. Silly, I know. Have a wonderful 2009!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
He thinks you will always be disappointed with the car now because it is not 'perfect' I don't understand that either. ?? Glad it is all fixed
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #42
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
Sorry, I was in a black mood when I wrote that response. I was suggesting you might start looking for a new coupe. Silly, I know. Have a wonderful 2009!
Interesting, Happy New Year to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
He thinks you will always be disappointed with the car now because it is not 'perfect' I don't understand that either. ?? Glad it is all fixed
Just cuz the bumper isn't perfect doesn't mean the car isn't. You'd have to pry it from my dead/cold/lifeless hands to get me to give it up

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0