ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Mr. Trump to apply EPA regulations to California cities regarding human waste

Mr. Trump, in a masterstroke, will use EPA standards to notify the mayors of San Francisco and other cities of non-compliance of regulations, specifically regarding human waste and other by-products (pun intended) of the homeless problem. Additionally, California city mayors were refused additional funding to tackle their homeless problem by Ben Carson, HUD Secretary, due to the problems origination: Liberal policies.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-t...eless-problem/

What does everyone think?

An excerpt:

"On Tuesday, Mr. Trump said his administration "can't let Los Angeles, San Francisco and numerous other cities destroy themselves by allowing what's happening" and vowed to do something about the problem. But at the time, he only mentioned creating a task force.
A day earlier, Gov. Gavin Newsom and mayors of the state's 13 largest cities sent Mr. Trump a letter asking his administration to provide more aid to fight homelessness, including an additional 50,000 housing vouchers for the poor.

But Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson rejected the housing aid request in a letter Wednesday, saying that California's policies on law enforcement, an overregulated housing market and sanctuary policies regarding people living in the country illegally have driven up housing costs while increasing demand.
"Your letter seeks more federal dollars for California from hardworking American taxpayers but fails to admit that your state and local policies have played a major role in creating the current crisis," Carson wrote.
Carson said nearly 500,000 California households already receive some kind of federal housing assistance and said "federal taxpayers are clearly doing their part to help solve the crisis."
Carson also said ending homelessness has been a "top priority" of the administration.
On Wednesday, Carson toured a Skid Row shelter in Los Angeles and called for cooperation among federal, state and local governments. But he was noncommittal about what he could offer, saying the administration was considering all options, including re-using vacant federal buildings for shelters.
Before more money is spent, Carson said there needs to be more effective use of available housing vouchers. Many of those, including 35% designated for veterans, are not being used, he said.
Carson targeted some of the main hurdles to providing more housing: myriad regulations and opposition from people who don't want poor people living nearby. He said his agency might offer grant preferences to cities that try to remove those barriers to affordable housing."

Cheers-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

He's a vindictive SOB just like those who are against him.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
minn195684.00

09-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Carson's numbers on vouchers are a bit elevated, because the housing prices in Cali are more than the national average.

We need to make a very definite distinction between economic homelessness, and vagrancy. HUD has very strict rules on providing housing vouchers, and the behavior of those who live in those units. Cleanliness, avoidance of crime, regular review of the income levels among many other requirements. If you are receiving the benefit, you have to tow the line of being at least a member of society.

The much more visible group that we see listed as homeless are vagrants. They are not wanting to be members of society. Some have some serious physical and mental issues, and these aren't currently the purview of HUD. We need some other safety net to address these people, but many of them don't want the help.

A very specific example here locally: There is a marine sanctuary area between 2 local cities. People (mostly vagrants) had taken up residency. After delivering eviction notices, police removed them. 30 people were contacted, and police came with several members of various organizations offering assistance. ONE took advantage.

You of all people, building container homes, should understand how stringent the rules are for Section 8 . ..
Appreciate 2
minn195684.00
MKSixer14461.50

09-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE

It is liberal policies that have driven real estate prices to unbelievable prices for small houses in these cities? Or trickle down economic policies etc that have stagnated wages making it harder to keep up with price increases? Or generally scoffing at mental health related spending? Liberals also created the nicer weather California usually enjoys that attracts homelessness?

As per usual both sides have a hand in where these cities are at as neither wants to here from the other side. Everyone would benefit here by taking good ideas from each side.

Edit: Last Ben Carson is a genius in some things (and a just plain lunatic in others), but this is not is expertise and Trump is just being an asshole again to try and fire up his base. I'm seriously not looking forward to how nasty this next election season is going to be.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent11728.50
MKSixer14461.50
jmg7078.50

09-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It is liberal policies that have driven real estate prices to unbelievable prices for small houses in these cities? Or trickle down economic policies etc that have stagnated wages making it harder to keep up with price increases? Or generally scoffing at mental health related spending? Liberals also created the nicer weather California usually enjoys that attracts homelessness?

As per usual both sides have a hand in where these cities are at as neither wants to here from the other side. Everyone would benefit here by taking good ideas from each side.

Edit: Last Ben Carson is a genius in some things (and a just plain lunatic in others), but this is not is expertise and Trump is just being an asshole again to try and fire up his base. I'm seriously not looking forward to how nasty this next election season is going to be.

I think the major issue here, is the Gov of CA asking the Federal Government, specifically Trump, for a handout to resolve a problem that is endemic to his state.

In a vacuum, this is already problematic, as the state of CA needs to resolve it's own problems without resorting to begging for tax dollars paid by other state citizens who have better managed resources.

To compound this issue, CA state government officials are well vocalized when it comes to heavily criticizing the current administration. One shouldn't be surprised when after years of calling someone a rapist, a murderer, a monster, and basically Hitler, that when they then ask that same person for some money, the person may be a bit hesitant.

Just like Trump can't bitch about the media after treating them so poorly, California can't bitch about not getting funding from the Trump administration after treating them so badly. What goes around comes around.

Carson is one of my idols - love that guy. California has had a hand in creating the mess they currently have - it is up to them to resolve it on their own. Refer to my previous posts in other threads regarding states rights.
MKSixer14461.50
2000cs956.50
lakefront183.50
SakhirM49398.50

09-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

It COULD be argued that if the sanctuary cities were to remove the illegal, there would be less pressure for housing, and then rents might come down. Right now I think the recent study that lead to the bill to cap rent increases to 5% listed vacancy rates of 4% or less.

A recent news item on the LA station showed the least expensive home somewhere in the Bay Area just crossed into 7 digits, and it's well under 1000'sq
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14461.50

09-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I think the major issue here, is the Gov of CA asking the Federal Government, specifically Trump, for a handout to resolve a problem that is endemic to his state.

In a vacuum, this is already problematic, as the state of CA needs to resolve it's own problems without resorting to begging for tax dollars paid by other state citizens who have better managed resources.

To compound this issue, CA state government officials are well vocalized when it comes to heavily criticizing the current administration. One shouldn't be surprised when after years of calling someone a rapist, a murderer, a monster, and basically Hitler, that when they then ask that same person for some money, the person may be a bit hesitant.

Just like Trump can't bitch about the media after treating them so poorly, California can't bitch about not getting funding from the Trump administration after treating them so badly. What goes around comes around.

Carson is one of my idols - love that guy. California has had a hand in creating the mess they currently have - it is up to them to resolve it on their own. Refer to my previous posts in other threads regarding states rights.
I'd really like to here the rest of the story as we are for sure only getting one very slanted version of it. Are some of the problems CAs fault, of course yes. Are lot of them not, I'd say another of course yes, hence my comment of both sides actually working together.

The name calling BS needs to stop and should have nothing to do with good policy either way. Especially from the President of the US who has shown he doesn't give a shit who he hurts if he feels like getting revenge. Even if his supporters live in the area.

I couldn't disagree with you more about Carson, but that's ok.

If we want to have a frank discussion on which states receive the most federal money and if they deserve, let's take a peek at this list. There a whole bunch of read states that much bigger leeches off of the federal government's teets than CA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ment/39202299/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd really like to here the rest of the story as we are for sure only getting one very slanted version of it. Are some of the problems CAs fault, of course yes. Are lot of them not, I'd say another of course yes, hence my comment of both sides actually working together.

The name calling BS needs to stop and should have nothing to do with good policy either way. Especially from the President of the US who has shown he doesn't give a shit who he hurts if he feels like getting revenge. Even if his supporters live in the area.

I couldn't disagree with you more about Carson, but that's ok.

If we want to have a frank discussion on which states receive the most federal money and if they deserve, let's take a peek at this list. There a whole bunch of read states that much bigger leeches off of the federal government's teets than CA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ment/39202299/

Again, I think you are missing my point. I am not arguing whether CA needs help or not. There are merits, just as you say, for an argument either way. Some of the problems are results from CA politics and some are not as well.

The problem lies, however, in that the political leaders of CA have been very vocal against the Trump administration and the vitriol is endemic. They shouldn't be at all surprised that Trump might not wanna give them any money after they have been so spiteful to him in the past.

Now, with respect to your comments about this petty bickering between Trump and California - I agree that it should stop and it is petty and pedantic and has no place in legitimate business. Where I disagree with you is in who is to blame. I 100% feel that both Trump and California government officials are equally to blame - straight 50/50. Irrespective of who anyone feels 'started it first', both sides are poking each other with sticks. I agree it should end, but I also understand the reality in that it isn't going to end anytime soon.

09-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, I think you are missing my point. I am not arguing whether CA needs help or not. There are merits, just as you say, for an argument either way. Some of the problems are results from CA politics and some are not as well.

The problem lies, however, in that the political leaders of CA have been very vocal against the Trump administration and the vitriol is endemic. They shouldn't be at all surprised that Trump might not wanna give them any money after they have been so spiteful to him in the past.

Now, with respect to your comments about this petty bickering between Trump and California - I agree that it should stop and it is petty and pedantic and has no place in legitimate business. Where I disagree with you is in who is to blame. I 100% feel that both Trump and California government officials are equally to blame - straight 50/50. Irrespective of who anyone feels 'started it first', both sides are poking each other with sticks. I agree it should end, but I also understand the reality in that it isn't going to end anytime soon.
I'm not sure on the blame percentage and to me it doesn't matter as it just stupid. The only thing I would say about Trump's actions or any President regardless of political party is that they are supposed to be the President of all US citizens. His going after California because it's leaders don't like him and yes are out of line in some of the things he calls them highlights his worst character flaw.

Way , but I might be heading down to SC in the next few months for M School. I'll PM you if I get it set up and see if we both have the time (or if you are interested) to get a beer. It would be fun to talk to some you guys in person. Also, I'd have no problem heading up there as that area is one of the most beautiful in the country.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14461.50

09-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure on the blame percentage and to me it doesn't matter as it just stupid. The only thing I would say about Trump's actions or any President regardless of political party is that they are supposed to be the President of all US citizens. His going after California because it's leaders don't like him and yes are out of line in some of the things he calls them highlights his worst character flaw.

Way , but I might be heading down to SC in the next few months for M School. I'll PM you if I get it set up and see if we both have the time (or if you are interested) to get a beer. It would be fun to talk to some you guys in person. Also, I'd have no problem heading up there as that area is one of the most beautiful in the country.
Sounds good. I agree that Trumps' biggest problem today is, well, Trump. He is a blowhard and can't keep his mouth shut. That being said, Newsome certainly isn't trying to de-escalate the situation in any way, either. There is plenty blame to go around, but yes - I do agree that the entire thing is moronic.

Shoot me a private message and I can give you my contact details. I'm always up for a beer or something. Plenty of awesome places around here.

09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I agree that Trumps' biggest problem today is, well, Trump. He is a blowhard and can't keep his mouth shut. That being said, Newsome certainly isn't trying to de-escalate the situation in any way, either. There is plenty blame to go around, but yes - I do agree that the entire thing is moronic.

Shoot me a private message and I can give you my contact details. I'm always up for a beer or something. Plenty of awesome places around here.

Agreed, far too many politicians from both sides love to grandstand and hear the sound of their own voice.

Sounds good!
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11728.50
MKSixer14461.50

09-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

Lesson one. The kinda hard dark stuff is where you wanna keep the car. I know y'all have winter and snow there 13 months a year and you don't get to see it much.

Lesson two. Get some real BBQ not that vinegar based crap some places tell you is BBQ. Or better yet...some good SC low-country food.

You're welcome!

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 2
minn195684.00
Run Silent11728.50

09-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Well aint that sum shit

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14461.50

09-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Lesson one. The kinda hard dark stuff is where you wanna keep the car. I know y'all have winter and snow there 13 months a year and you don't get to see it much.

Lesson two. Get some real BBQ not that vinegar based crap some places tell you is BBQ. Or better yet...some good SC low-country food.

You're welcome!
Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14461.50
Run Silent11728.50

09-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

For some years now the powers that be in Cali were warned by many( smarter then them) about their idiotic policy of allowing the streets to become campgrounds for all sorts of people with all kinds of issues. The governors and mayors of these cities all scoffed and said we know what we’re doing mind your own fucking business, it’s our state.

Then they took it to the next level of crazy by calling illegal aliens to all come to the land of fruits and nuts, you’re all welcome here, everyone is welcome here, we’ll take care of you. All except President Trump he isn't welcome.

So the state with the highest taxes in the country looks like a 4th world country and is financially and morally going down the drain. They made that shithole state what it has become with their liberal, socialistic politics, let them live and stew in feces squalor. Enjoy your ripe sewer on the beautiful blue Pacific, Newsom, Pelosi, Garcetti and the rest.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 3
domino_z940.50
Torgus1872.50

09-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d

This is by far not a new problem. Only recently has it been blown to this proportion by todays current extreme leftist policies. These shanty towns that are populated by the homeless have been around a long time in cali as well as a number of other predominantly blue cities.

Trump has inherited this problem of past administrations and theres only few answers to it that i can see.

1. Go full on socialist and pay for the homeless till all the money runs out.
2. Go partial socialist and reopen government run mental and rehabilitation institutions to house and treat the mentally ill as well as rehabilitate the sane homeless to the point where they can become contributors to society.
3. Exert tough love to a boarderline socialist state by revoking special privileges and pushing the rules (said above) to force a state (with an economy thats larger than most countries) to fend for themselves and deal with the problem they alone created on their own.

Im no communist. One must work for their living.

Eg. when your adult stay at home kid wont clean their room let alone the mess behind them yet eats your food and pays no bills what does a parent do?

Watch the film. Its kinda a metaphore on how china paid off the elite to sell out their homeland for power.

And Trump is Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Actually. This rant gas a few beers in it. Its either relevant or incoherent. Lmao.

Anyways. Go pats!!! Jim brady and friends to the next super bowl title!!!
Appreciate 1
Torgus1872.50

09-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #17
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d

Btw.

What a shitty thing for Trump to do to the golden...er...brown state.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #18
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
For some years now the powers that be in Cali were warned by many( smarter then them) about their idiotic policy of allowing the streets to become campgrounds for all sorts of people with all kinds of issues. The governors and mayors of these cities all scoffed and said we know what we’re doing mind your own fucking business, it’s our state.

Then they took it to the next level of crazy by calling illegal aliens to all come to the land of fruits and nuts, you’re all welcome here, everyone is welcome here, we’ll take care of you. All except President Trump he isn't welcome.

So the state with the highest taxes in the country looks like a 4th world country and is financially and morally going down the drain. They made that shithole state what it has become with their liberal, socialistic politics, let them live and stew in feces squalor. Enjoy your ripe sewer on the beautiful blue Pacific, Newsom, Pelosi, Garcetti and the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post

This is by far not a new problem. Only recently has it been blown to this proportion by todays current extreme leftist policies. These shanty towns that are populated by the homeless have been around a long time in cali as well as a number of other predominantly blue cities.

Trump has inherited this problem of past administrations and theres only few answers to it that i can see.

1. Go full on socialist and pay for the homeless till all the money runs out.
2. Go partial socialist and reopen government run mental and rehabilitation institutions to house and treat the mentally ill as well as rehabilitate the sane homeless to the point where they can become contributors to society.
3. Exert tough love to a boarderline socialist state by revoking special privileges and pushing the rules (said above) to force a state (with an economy thats larger than most countries) to fend for themselves and deal with the problem they alone created on their own.

Im no communist. One must work for their living.

Eg. when your adult stay at home kid wont clean their room let alone the mess behind them yet eats your food and pays no bills what does a parent do?

Watch the film. Its kinda a metaphore on how china paid off the elite to sell out their homeland for power.

And Trump is Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Actually. This rant gas a few beers in it. Its either relevant or incoherent. Lmao.

Anyways. Go pats!!! Jim brady and friends to the next super bowl title!!!
Um wut?
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #19
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
Btw.

What a shitty thing for Trump to do to the golden...er...brown state.
Logical conclusion: EPA regulations are racist.

Let us die young let us live forever! Carpe diem.
When the sky is bright we dance to infinity!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post

Agree 100%. California needs to have its food withheld, so it starves its way back to reality. If Californians want to help the disadvantaged they're completely free to do so voluntarily with their own money, just like many of us already do in our own hometowns. The federal government shouldn't be a charity, in California or anywhere else.
      09-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #21
TURBO8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'll upload this here too.

You can't dump money on this problem and expect it to fix itself. It will just make the problem worse.

Name:  GI.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  102.7 KB
Appreciate 2
Zugzwang1119.00

09-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #22
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Thoughtful posts by Minn19 and RunSilent
Appreciate 0