ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
3
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Arkansas, USA

iTrader: (0)

Is this normal?

Recently bought my 2007 Z4 3.0i and the first time the fuel runs low the light comes on.
On my other BMWs the needle is near the empty mark when the light comes on. Not at 1/4 full.

Strange???
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Yapakanichi
MMJ User
Yapakanichi's Avatar
370
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Orange, FL

iTrader: (0)

normal
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
3191
Rep
1,951
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Recently bought my 2007 Z4 3.0i and the first time the fuel runs low the light comes on.
On my other BMWs the needle is near the empty mark when the light comes on. Not at 1/4 full.

Strange???
That looks like 1/8th of a tank to me, so yup the warning light should be on.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,766
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Looks normal to me. I recall checking the light relative to "miles until empty" display and it clocked in at 30 miles remaining.

The fuel tank in the E85 is smaller than most BMWs, ~14 gallons, unlike the E46 at close to 16 gallons. So the tank indicator will be slightly more full when the low fuel indicator is lit on the E85/6 platform vs. the E46 or other higher capacity tanks on cars that get the same relative MPG.

The light is telling your you have about 30 miles remaining, which seems like a standard since VWs and Dodges I've owned use the same miles remaining mark.

Note: I don't know if the indicator is adaptive--that is, does is come on earlier if you've been hammering the gas and dropped MPG down. Something I'll look at next time I'm at the track--I average 5 MPG there!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
3
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Arkansas, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks normal to me. I recall checking the light relative to "miles until empty" display and it clocked in at 30 miles remaining.

The fuel tank in the E85 is smaller than most BMWs, ~14 gallons, unlike the E46 at close to 16 gallons. So the tank indicator will be slightly more full when the low fuel indicator is lit on the E85/6 platform vs. the E46 or other higher capacity tanks on cars that get the same relative MPG.

The light is telling your you have about 30 miles remaining, which seems like a standard since VWs and Dodges I've owned use the same miles remaining mark.

Note: I don't know if the indicator is adaptive--that is, does is come on earlier if you've been hammering the gas and dropped MPG down. Something I'll look at next time I'm at the track--I average 5 MPG there!
Ok I was just curious because on my other two BMWs the needle is almost on the empty mark when it lights up. On my E 53 the tank is over 24 gallons. When I took that picture the light had actually been on for a little while. Wow 5 mpg. That would suck but for track time I'm sure it's worth it.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
Finnegan610.50

      08-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,766
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks normal to me. I recall checking the light relative to "miles until empty" display and it clocked in at 30 miles remaining.

The fuel tank in the E85 is smaller than most BMWs, ~14 gallons, unlike the E46 at close to 16 gallons. So the tank indicator will be slightly more full when the low fuel indicator is lit on the E85/6 platform vs. the E46 or other higher capacity tanks on cars that get the same relative MPG.

The light is telling your you have about 30 miles remaining, which seems like a standard since VWs and Dodges I've owned use the same miles remaining mark.

Note: I don't know if the indicator is adaptive--that is, does is come on earlier if you've been hammering the gas and dropped MPG down. Something I'll look at next time I'm at the track--I average 5 MPG there!
Ok I was just curious because on my other two BMWs the needle is almost on the empty mark when it lights up. On my E 53 the tank is over 24 gallons. When I took that picture the light had actually been on for a little while. Wow 5 mpg. That would suck but for track time I'm sure it's worth it.
Thanks
Totally worth it! As I get faster the mpg drops more
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
Yapakanichi
MMJ User
Yapakanichi's Avatar
370
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Orange, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The fuel tank in the E85 is smaller than most BMWs, ~14 gallons, unlike the E46 at close to 16 gallons.
OH Gawd...I've filled 13.9 gallons before I think hell maybe even 14.1 before.

I had to google it..14.5
Appreciate 1
Finnegan610.50

      08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
3
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Arkansas, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
OH Gawd...I've filled 13.9 gallons before I think hell maybe even 14.1 before.

I had to google it..14.5
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:24 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,766
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The fuel tank in the E85 is smaller than most BMWs, ~14 gallons, unlike the E46 at close to 16 gallons.
OH Gawd...I've filled 13.9 gallons before I think hell maybe even 14.1 before.

I had to google it..14.5
Runnin' on fumes lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
Yapakanichi
MMJ User
Yapakanichi's Avatar
370
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Orange, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Runnin' on fumes lol
The needle was beyond pegged. Thinking about it now...I should really replace the fuel filter. And probably think about dropping the tank and cleaning her out.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:35 AM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,766
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Runnin' on fumes lol
The needle was beyond pegged. Thinking about it now...I should really replace the fuel filter. And probably think about dropping the tank and cleaning her out.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST