ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Nitron NTR R3 / 3 Way Suspension Kit

Look what turned up from Nitron Racing Shocks USA...

I have dreamed of this day for so long, now let us all

A big thank you to Mike at NRS for making this happen and who hooked me up with the suspension setup of my dreams and all the lads at Nitron U.K. for their continued customer support.

Enjoy the below teaser pics, more to come soon!

If you like what you see or have an interest in good suspension performance please comment below

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 03-29-2018 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 4
MOEDARE140.00
3GFX722.50
tetsuo1111224.00
Vanne1593.00
      03-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #2
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Sorry for the above teaser shots without explanation but I was short of time and wanted to show some initial pics.

I have been researching my dream suspension set-up intensely for a couple of weeks before purchase, I ended up dropping the hammer on this kit a couple of months ago when I found out more about Nitron and Mike made me an offer too good to refuse.

Looking at posts from other members on this forum, I did not discover ANY who had invested in this company's products. I think that I may be the only one with suspension from this company. I believe this is a real shame as the build quality and features is second to none, do yourself a favor if you are in the market for a quality coilover kit and check them out, odds are you will not be disappointed. Nitron may not be as well known in the U.S. as other more mainstream manufacturers but in Europe they are big news and the go to brand for many major race teams.

Some of the other brands that I crossed shopped before purchase were:

JRZ Motorsport Series 12

AST 5300 Series

Moton Motorsport 3 Way

MCS 3 Way

I had my mind made up that I wanted 3-Way adjustment because with low-speed compression adjustment you can dial out body roll at turn-in, as well as pitch and squat movements. Reducing low-speed compression damping can help to quickly increase traction on bumpy tracks. Precise control of the chassis platform is a tremendous tuning advantage. Nitron also make their R1 kits with 2-Way combined damping adjustment for the more budget conscious amongst us.

It was extremely difficult to find any other Z4M owners who had gone down the same route with 3-Way suspension for me to ask questions concerning the performance. Most on here seem to favour setups from, Bilstein, KW, H&R, Fortune Auto, Ground Control, BC Racing and the hundreds of other low end brands that did not offer the same features and quality that I was shopping for.

The very first time you hold these in your hands you can see where the coin has gone as the workmanship is totally outstanding. You get what you pay for with suspension

Also for those on here that will say that is all fine but I do not have the budget for that; I do not accept the argument that price is a problem for most because the very same people will easily spend twice the cost of this setup and many times much more on power mods. Then they will decided it is a wise decision to buy sub $1,500 coilovers or run stock suspension.

Not saying that is the wrong way to do things, but I believe in upgrading brakes, suspension then power last if at all. It is just a matter of priorities and what you see as the most urgent areas to improve.

The advantages I saw with Nitron over other brands were the following in no specific order:
  • Extremely reasonably priced for what you get
  • Excellent customer pre/post purchase service and support
  • Adjustable drop link / sway bar mounts
  • Teflon lined spherical bearings
  • Fully floating aluminium separator piston between gas and oil with super low friction Teflon banding
  • Progressive cellular bumpstops
  • Silicone chrome spring with unique 'FLEXaLIGHT' coating
  • Forged aluminium tubes with roller burnished hard anodised bores
  • Induction hardened and super polished hard chrome plated piston rods
  • Camber plates included
  • Springs included
  • Monoball top & bottom rear shock mounts.
  • 16 Clicks high speed compression adjustment
  • 26 Clicks low speed compression adjustment
  • 24 Clicks rebound adjustment
  • 46mm Front and 40mm rear piston cylinder designs
  • 22mm Front induction hardened piston rods
  • 16mm Rear induction hardened piston rods
  • Mounting accessories included
  • Full custom build to customers requirement

Of course as you can see I specified a divorced rear end and I believe the kit comes with Eibach Pro-Kit springs that drop the rear about 10mm and the front springs are Nitron 70N or about 400lb/in

I cannot install this suspension yet because I am also upgrading all the rear end bushings to solid aluminum and everything is in thousands of pieces in my garage. Waiting for parts at the moment as now is the time to do it.

For the rear I had to specify Dry Breaks as I did not want to cut a 2.5" hole and the only brand that Nitron will use is Staubli. The cost of these was truly eye watering as they cost more then some cheap coilovers! But they use Staubli for a good reason and you can see the quality of the connectors when you pick them up.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 12-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: World's worst speller
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Reserved
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
That's one sexy setup.

Specs? Spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Details! Need details! Looks damn cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
That's one sexy setup.

Specs? Spring rates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Details! Need details! Looks damn cool.
Both answered above, thanks for your interest
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
MOEDARE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Heard a lot about these ones. Fantastic choice and glad to see that you're happy with them thus far. Had my eye on the R3's but never pulled the trigger.

Make sure to take stunning install pics
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Excited to see these go on the car as well as seeing how they perform! I'd love to have something resembling these on my lowly 3.0i, but they'd literally be more expensive than my car is worth.

Apparently they are the suspension partner for the Bloodhound SSC, which is also extra cool!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I've got Nitron 3 ways on mine, bought them 2 1/2 years ago,m so you are not alone!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2skiddy View Post
I've got Nitron 3 ways on mine, bought them 2 1/2 years ago,m so you are not alone!
Ok, I stand corrected.

Congratulations on being the first to have them, the build quality looks outstanding.

It would be great if you could post some pictures of your setup in this thread and share your impressions and settings.

I am realistically still about 2 weeks out from a full install as I am waiting on parts for replacing the entire rear end with solid mounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
MOEDARE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Hi guys,
Still waiting patiently on install pics of the R3's
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #12
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Sorry everyone for the long delay. I have been away and the project got shelved until now. It has been killing me the anticipation of this install being completed.

For the front coilovers, you will need to change to shorter drop links. I decided to collect a pair of matching 220-255mm length units at the same time. Their quality is spectacular, not surprising as the rest of Nitron's hardware is second to none.

The rear coilovers were installed first with the hardest part being a head scratching exercise on deciding the best place for the hydraulic line pass through.

The length of hydraulic line I ordered for the rear was 750mm or 30". This was perfect for locating the remote reservoirs in this position. I ordered the mounting plates for these from a local 4X4 suspension shop. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will post a link.

Next came the front install and for this part you do not need any Dry Breaks as there is enough room in the engine bay to route the hydraulic line through with the remote reservoirs attached. The line I ordered was 1,500mm or 60" which worked out perfectly for my install.

Nitron were also able to supply some very trick mounting clamps which made the engine bay install go very smoothly, as you can see I clamped the remote reservoirs to the bracebar.

I will post my driving impressions soon, just back from an alignment.
Appreciate 3
MOEDARE140.00
Lienrocs701.00
Vanne1593.00
      07-25-2018, 05:30 AM   #13
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I have had a few weeks now to let the kit settle in and play around with the settings.

For the street my current settings are as follows:

Front Low Speed Comp 6/26 Clicks
Front High Speed Comp 4/16 Clicks
Rear Low Speed Comp 6/26 Clicks
Rear High Speed Comp 4/16 Clicks
Front Rebound 2/28 Clicks
Rear Rebound 2/24 Clicks

Compared to stock the vehicle feels more compliant over sharp bumps (high speed comp) where before it was a two-handed effort to hold a line at high speed or cornering when a bump or dip was hit, now it is a one handed walk in the park. Also when cornering at speed there is notably less chassis roll (low speed comp) and the vehicle is easier to control, giving you much more confidence to push harder if you want to. These settings provide about the same stiffness as stock with much better chassis feel and handling. Some would say that this type of coilover kit is only for dedicated track use, but they would be wrong. If you have never tired how much something like this can improve handling compared to stock even at normal street speeds then you would be in for a real surprise. How it compares to other kits of the same value is for you to decide and I cannot offer a direct comparison as this is the only kit I have had on my vehicle and do not feel I would ever need to change.

I originally started my Low/Hi comp settings at 50% to try and get the system first dialed in and on the street it was virtually unusably stiff; on a track I am sure it would shine. I can only imagine what even higher settings would feel like. Suffice to say, if you want to set-up your vehicle to be ultra-track focused with this kit you most certainly can. As I have read many times on here, some have coilover kits that do not feel very stiff at all or even much better than stock. This R3 package seems to be able to span the gap from one extreme to the other, feeling equally at home on the street or track depending on your chosen settings.

I am very happy with my purchase as everything just seemed to fit and works very well with only basic tuning knowledge. From the results you get you can easily see Nitron have spent the time getting this kit sorted for our platform so I would give it the thumbs up if you were also considering a coilover setup.

Last edited by ANILE8; 07-25-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #14
Barbatos
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Hi ANILE8, do you mind share the info for purchasing one of these set? I am looking to get a set of these however there seems to be 2 different price levels.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:56 PM   #15
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Will send you a PM later.

I have since changed the rear springs to 2.25"x5" 500lb Hyperco with some Rogue Engineering adjustable jacks for height adjustment.

Actually didn't I need to use the helper springs so you could probably skip them if you were doing it from scratch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 11:59 PM   #16
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Not sure how i missed this thread.. looks great mate, but why have you got that compressed helper spring on the hat of the rear springs? with those adjustable jacks for height, you wont need them? looks really nice btw, also love how you installed them. Beaut kit. nicely and neatly done.

just looking at it again, maybe youve done it that way as there isnt enough jack on those adjustable spring mounts? anyways, nice setup man!

the other thing, next time you've got those rears apart, take those rear jacks to a welding shop and ask them to completely seam weld around the circle. theres quite a bit of force on those at times.

seriously nice kit!