ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
I do use the curbing that's for sure! Although, it's not that bad at NJMP.

Positive on the alignment, I do my own alignment and corner balancing before every event.

I just ordered the Monoball from Turner. Going to give that a shot. Expensive, but I don't want to keep worrying about these things. If the monoballs go, then I'll stay off the curbing
Can you run the monoball with the Z4M? I saw a E46M3 fitment a few weeks back but not the Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #24
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Not sure - I chose Z4 3.0si in Turner's website, and it said "It Fits, but Z4M says "no bueno". Odd.
      05-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Can you run the monoball with the Z4M? I saw a E46M3 fitment a few weeks back but not the Z.
You can technically run whatever fits inside the lollipop if you'r using the stock lollipop, or even a custom monoball as long as it bolts up to the same stock points. What you lose is the offset in the bushing that creates additional caster in the steering, plus if you're lacking in tire clearance to rear of the fender, you may experience more rub.

They won't list the M3 product as a possible fitment for a couple of reasons. First, if the monoball uses BMW's factory lollipop, the M3 lollipop and the MZ4 lollipop are not compatible. However, I've NEVER seen a monoball use factory lollipops. They're usually custom build and constructed brackets. In that particular case, check and see if there's an additional bolt hole machined/drilled to accommodate the M3's reinforcement plate. Again, it's unlikely, but the E46 M3 LCAB has an additional mounting point for the factory reinforcement plate.

It appears Turner's monoball bushing does include that additional reinforcement plate mounting point. You can probably machine that part off and it'll fit the MZ4/Z4. If we're talking about the monball bushing by itself, it won't fit for sure.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but one or the other is a 60mm outer diameter and the other one is a 66mm outer diameter (okay, if I have to guess, the E46 M3 uses a 60mm bushing and the MZ4 uses a 66mm bushing).

There's actually a reasonable degree of likelihood the "kit" version that came with the M3 lollipop will fit without having to shave off the additional mounting point, as the reinforcement plate under the MZ4 is the same as the E46 M3. You might even be able to bolt the plate onto the lollipop to give it an extra secure location for some added stiffness.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      05-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #26
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This one should be a direct bolt-on, you lose the offset bushing and some caster but gain in the stronger, stiffer monoball bushing.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...with-housings/

The operative word being SHOULD. I'm at 95% certainty.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
This one should be a direct bolt-on, you lose the offset bushing and some caster but gain in the stronger, stiffer monoball bushing.

Thanks. Probably worth a try if you're eating these bushings like crazy. A loss of caster vs. a broken / dead bushing with a ton of play is one of those many trade-offs everything seems to come down to with "extreme driving".
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #28
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Well, I own the nonM z4, there is no 'castered' FCAB. It has always been the centered version as above. I've never tried increasing caster now that you mention, but hasn't been a noticeable issue thus far on performance for me.
      05-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Well, I own the nonM z4, there is no 'castered' FCAB. It has always been the centered version as above. I've never tried increasing caster now that you mention, but hasn't been a noticeable issue thus far on performance for me.
I ran the offset version (zhp) but went back to centered because the increased caster led to rubbing against liners pretty badly. Something to keep in mind considering your current aggressive wheel fitments.
      05-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #30
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Ahhh, thanks for the tip. I'll stay away for now!
      07-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #31
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

I just installed these and can confirm these fit and they are the bomb.

I bought the ones without the housings and just pressed them in myself for about a $50 saving in price over the kit with included housings.

Here is the LINK for the part I ordered.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #32
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Same here. Had my first track event with them. I also greased them properly. So far so good, nice and solid and one less thing I need to worry about.
      07-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
the fly
Private
Rep
Drives: '95 M3

I pre-press these TMS units for the e46m3 folks over here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067846871

The housings will fit Z4M. As pointed out, only centered units are available.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #34
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I ran the offset version (zhp) but went back to centered because the increased caster led to rubbing against liners pretty badly. Something to keep in mind considering your current aggressive wheel fitments.
What was your ride height difference, tire width & (tread width), wheel offset, and camber that you had with the offset lcab? I need to do some refresh on the coupe and am trying to decide if I want to stay oem staggered with slightly different offsets with apex arc with the offset bush. My goal is to reduce understeer and with the lack of room for wider with offset bush, would a 255 (on my roadster lowered 1”) square with neg camber be more beneficial than the offset lcab with 225-245 tire width up front 255-275 rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #35
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eson View Post
Why do people still use Powerflex? I've heard nothing but failures and premature fatigue.

Go with AKG.
I know that this is an old post...
15 years ago, I tried using Powerflex bushings on my E30 M3 track car. Both the FCAB and the rear semi-TA bushings distended after only a couple of events. Popped them out and trashed them. Bought AKG. They lasted about 2x as long but eventually failed in a similar manner. Again, wasted money.

Went back to the factory M3 solid rubber bushings. I was no slower and my problems all went away.

I had similar problems with urethane motor mounts for that car. I only got away from continuously failed motor mounts with the 7-series mount which was much more substantial and had the added benefit of lowering the motor ~1/4" and shifting it back ~3/8".

If you're going to bypass the rubber bushings, I'd say to go with bearings. However, this will help you locate the next weak link in the chain pretty quickly.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00