ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
pip_pill
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6 speed

Garage List
Prod. Date 1987-09- ...  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Update for Sound system - help!

I have looked everywhere and searched through the forums -
To make a long question short-
I have
BMW Z4 2003 Business CD HIFI- with DSP(checked in the trunk)/no Nav
I would like to
play ipod and charge+USB thumb drive+Aux 3.5 in - to the standard head unit
Car already has an Aux 3.5 added...
Any recommendations what adapter to add and where to get it from and what sort of quality is available
From the vin option on car are
S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645A BMW US Radio
S662A Radio BMW Business CD
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Brians
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Frz Drk Grey

I would like to know this as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_pill View Post
I have
I would like to
I use an Intravee II paired with an Alpine KCA-420i unit that I modified to not allow the iPod to go into sleep mode. I'm using it with a Gen 6 iPod Nano that I keep in the center console (routed cable into it) , and it also requires a 5V charging adapter.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

It was not for the faint of heart in my car. Normally, the CD changer cables can be pulled into the trunk, but someone decided to be neat and tape down the cables in multiple places to the body of the car under the center console. I had to tear the entire back of the car off to get to it.

I also have the aux 3.5 connection and a low profile USB adapter where the ashtray and cigarette lighter was previously located.

This won't get you the USB connection, but it has an excellent iPod integration, though it's a little tricky at first to figure out how to navigate. For me, it works best to create playlists in genres such as Blues, Classic Rock, Jazz, and then create additional playlists for roadtrips as needed. The Intravee II is a slick piece. The gentleman that invented it passed away, so there are no more updates being produced for it.

I posted a DIY for my nightmare install, but Photobucket won't display pictures. When I have some time, I'll update the install with pics. There are some real tricks to getting to certain areas.

Here is the link to the broken DIY, but you can at least ready about it, and there are some other links that may still be good.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230786

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Intravee II vs grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I use an Intravee II paired with an Alpine KCA-420i unit that I modified to not allow the iPod to go into sleep mode. I'm using it with a Gen 6 iPod Nano that I keep in the center console (routed cable into it) , and it also requires a 5V charging adapter.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

It was not for the faint of heart in my car. Normally, the CD changer cables can be pulled into the trunk, but someone decided to be neat and tape down the cables in multiple places to the body of the car under the center console. I had to tear the entire back of the car off to get to it.

I also have the aux 3.5 connection and a low profile USB adapter where the ashtray and cigarette lighter was previously located.

This won't get you the USB connection, but it has an excellent iPod integration, though it's a little tricky at first to figure out how to navigate. For me, it works best to create playlists in genres such as Blues, Classic Rock, Jazz, and then create additional playlists for roadtrips as needed. The Intravee II is a slick piece. The gentleman that invented it passed away, so there are no more updates being produced for it.

I posted a DIY for my nightmare install, but Photobucket won't display pictures. When I have some time, I'll update the install with pics. There are some real tricks to getting to certain areas.

Here is the link to the broken DIY, but you can at least ready about it, and there are some other links that may still be good.

Salty
Thanks for the link - I had read some of it already but without photos - its not a lot of use... Don't know why photobucket pics are not in the forum "anywhere" makes much past info useless much of the time?!
Why Intravee II and why over Grom?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Options for DSP Business CD Radio

As many of the discussion on the forum are several years old this is my take on installing/upgrading the Business CD radio - I'm not looking for getting a qualification in Radio installs, I just want a quick quality solution to plug in or with minimal install and provides input of ..ipod/USB drive/bluetooth/android/iphone charges the Ipod when attached- works with the installed Radio
Allows song data on the head unit/plays playlists

Here are my list of manufacturers for the DSP Radio OEM option

1 BMW OEM No DSP Not a lot of good other than AUX cable

2 Dice Audiovox DSP Not directly supported - third party support is average and Crutchfield are not knowledgeable about DSP issue
Unclear as to What happened to Dice or product longevity with Audiovox or if its even made anylonger
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/OEI/
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220CBM...C-BMW-DSP.html
a DICE MBR-1500-BMW NLA $0.00
b DICE DUO-100-BMW Silverline NLA
c Audiovox A-ACC-BMW-DSP $79.99
Sound quality unknown - some reports of interference.

3 Grom Audio - Seems to be well supported and useful Customer support chat https://gromaudio.com/
a BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK $149.99
b BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT $69.99
c GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT $49.99
d AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT $14.99
Expensive at $300 for all capability
Concerned with long cable runs for possible interferance
Sound quality unknown

4 Interavee
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/BMW.html
a Intravee II £109.98
b DSP Adapter £68.99 OUT OF STOCK
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/BMW.html
I cant work out what I need from the web site and no customer support to help - other than an email request page on the web site I don't know if they support DSP workaround
Coaxial type connector you will also need a separate analogue to digital converter.
Don't know who makes this product. supplied by third party distribution
Sound quality unknown

5 mObridge - its been mentioned but no information
Web selection no longer covers z4 E85 2003+
Sound quality unknown

6 PAC Audio - its been mentioned but no information
https://pac-audio.com/?fc=module&mod...mp-sbv-submit=
I think this uses the Antenna to input to the radio
Sound quality unknown FM quality

7 Yatour -available from Asia on ebay -seems to have DSP solution but no customer support http://www.yatour.net/shop/?type=detail&id=53
On ebay = DSP KIT FOR YATOUR BMW04 DIGITAL MUSIC CHANGER / IPHONE IPOD ADAPTER US $60.00

Sound quality unknown

8 Parrot
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_333MKI...g&awug=9002273
MKi9200 $239.99
Sound quality unknow

9 USA Spec
https://www.usaspec.com/p-329-pa12-bmw_dsp.aspx
a PA12-BMW_DSP - DSP connection built in - interface adaptor are capable of connecting two audio sources $189.99
Sound quality unknow

At the moment I going with Grom because
1 got some advice from the company
2 they understood my question and understood the DSP issue
3 don't look as if the company is going to disappear in the near future

Please tell me if i'm wrong or what your experience/advice is

Last edited by pip_pill; 10-16-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the link - I had read some of it already but without photos - its not a lot of use... Don't know why photobucket pics are not in the forum "anywhere" makes much past info useless much of the time?!
Why Intravee II and why over Grom?
Grom is probably the solution I would use if I were in your position. I purchased an Intravee II solution used from a forum member. It does a great job displaying the text on the limited display of the Business CD radio, and allows me to select playlists directly from the radio controls. Grom looks like a similar solution, but probably more up to date and hopefully more longevity.

The issue with Photobucket is a royal pain. They changed their policy and destroyed a lot of useful information on forums. They don't even make it easy to view the content on their website where they could display ads and serve up the content easier. Photobucket can suck it.

I'll update my DIY some time this week.

Do you know if you have the coax cable/cd changer connection already?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Quote:

Do you know if you have the coax cable/cd changer connection already?

Salty
These are the pics I got - not good quality, i think this is the coax cable?
Any idea what the blue connector is for?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Pip, it looks like you'll need to the DSP solution since you have the coax cables. At least the wires are exposed. I have the newer cable set, so I'm not familiar with the function of the connectors you're showing. Sorry.

I don't know if it will be any help to you, but I did go ahead and update the DIY on tearing out the interior and got the pictures moved over to Imgur.

Best of luck on your project.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Quote:
Pip, it looks like you'll need to the DSP solution since you have the coax cables. At least the wires are exposed. I have the newer cable set, so I'm not familiar with the function of the connectors you're showing. Sorry.

I don't know if it will be any help to you, but I did go ahead and update the DIY on tearing out the interior and got the pictures moved over to Imgur.

Best of luck on your project.

Salty
thanks for the update and replacing the pics - it looks almost as bad as replacing the heater matrix/heater fan on a volvo 240 -
http://cleanflametrap.com
the car was built round it!
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      10-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

I debated this a while as well. I spent a lot of money on options.

This Bovee thing really is the best option for iPhone. I stream Spotify through the Z4 system. A charging cable and a vent magnet clip cost about $10 more.

https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireles...dp/B00B52LLJ6/
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
I have
I would like to
Any recommendations what adapter to add and where to get it from and what sort of quality is available
From the vin option on car are
S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645A BMW US Radio
S662A Radio BMW Business CD
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
876A Radio frequency 315 MHz

https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adap...d_car_kit.html
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      10-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Ordered - awaiting delivery

Thank you for your purchase of
GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT (BTD) - 1 pcs x 49.99
AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT (35USB) - 1 pcs x 14.99
BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK (BMWTU3) - 1 pcs x 149.99
BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT (DSP) - 1 pcs x 69.99
COUPON (COUPON) - 1 pcs x -15.00
Notes: car make:bmw z4 choice: choice: vat:\par
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT (BTD) - 1 pcs x 49.99
BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK (BMWTU3) - 1 pcs x 149.99
Let me know how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool! I hope the install goes smoothly for you.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Wow, I didn't realize any aftermarket options were available for the DSP unit. I have always put my cellphone away when I drive my Zed, but now that it's being used as a DD 8 months a year I am looking into this more now. What part of NH are you in? I'm about 45 min from Nashua/Salem. I might need some help if I ever decide to tackle this project
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Completion of install

Grom USB3 installed (with DSP option)... into Gray front OEM HIFI option Radio Z4 2003 - no changes are required to car setup to install!
No pics... as its all hidden away.
1 Grom USB3 behind the removable ashtray
2 Bluetooth module behind/above the radio - just under the dash top - for maximum connection strength (talks to my phone 30 feet away!)
3 Microphone wire was fed from behind and wedged into the top of the instrument cluster plastic surround - hangs just in front of the left turn signal light indicator
4 Cable from front to rear - tucked under the center console fed through the rear bulkhead (next to right speaker) to the trunk
5 DSP installed in the trunk under the rear carpet NOTE: instructions say "switched power supply" ie the original CD supply (three pin plug) is not switched!. Chatted with Grom, they say the DSP is switched to low power when not in use ie not detecting signal - although they could not say what low power draw was!! I wonder if Ill have a flat battery at some point!
6 Connection Cables (USB x2 AUX) Temporary - tucked under the center console and come out just in front of the passenger seat
7 Still to check a USB thumb drive in the USB inputs...

Testing -Went for a 5 hour drive (in the White Mountains New Hampshire) at the weekend with:
The Ipod playing music through the USB interface (switching play lists with the buttons on the radio)- Android phone providing directions via bluetooth to the radio (switching off and on the music to provide direction info -although this got annoying and I turned off the voice directions interrupt - I think the ipod would start a new playlist each time it went back to it?) -

Used the Bluetooth button on the steering wheel to provide voice commands to the phone for directions and other commands to the phone (wikipedia/redirect to gas stations/additional destinations.

ipod provided text to the radio and displayed artist/album and song (although text was not scrolling - so only approximately 15 characters were displayed IO - ipod was charging!

microphone seems to pick up voice commands ok - even with the roof down traveling at speed

Steering wheel controls - Volume/track up and down worked/Bluetooth worked- didn't get to using the R/T button didn't seem to work!

Sound quality (into the "HIFI option" OEM install) sounded good to me no buzzing/clicks or any other interference (i did wonder if the front to rear cable may have had some interference) but so far there is none

NOTE: system does seem slow to respond sometimes ie
press bluetooth button and it takes a few seconds 5 - 10 for the system to expect a voice command IE "Speak up!" appears on the Radio interface... or
Also when switching to providing a voice direction and back to music system seems a little slow especially when the navigation is giving a lot of directions although this could have been the ipod delaying the return to music

Overall -I very pleased with it...

Just ordered a Gaptech one touch control from Gary Price in the UK
Description Unit price Qty Amount
RCH+
Item# RCH+ Postage: 9.99 £99.98 GBP 1 £99.98 GBP
Subtotal £99.98 GBP
Total £99.98 GBP
Payment £99.98 GBP

Last edited by pip_pill; 10-29-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Wow, I didn't realize any aftermarket options were available for the DSP unit. I have always put my cellphone away when I drive my Zed, but now that it's being used as a DD 8 months a year I am looking into this more now. What part of NH are you in? I'm about 45 min from Nashua/Salem. I might need some help if I ever decide to tackle this project
NP Im exit 5 on the 93 Londonderry - 2 minutes away from the exit - Neighbour also has a 2006 Z4 3.0 N52B30 engine 6 sp manual - let me know if need help
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
NP Im exit 5 on the 93 Londonderry - 2 minutes away from the exit - Neighbour also has a 2006 Z4 3.0 N52B30 engine 6 sp manual - let me know if need help
Cool! So let me see if I'm reading this right. You ran a new microphone and bluetooth adapter which also supports apps like Pandora, not just phone calls. Did you have to do anything to disable the stock bluetooth module and mic that handles phone calls?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
pip_pill
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Cool! So let me see if I'm reading this right. You ran a new microphone and bluetooth adapter which also supports apps like Pandora, not just phone calls. Did you have to do anything to disable the stock bluetooth module and mic that handles phone calls?
I didn't have the OEM bluetooth so I didn't have to disable it - I can only assume that if you disconnect it it will not work!

Yes the Grom Bluetooth (with microphone) was put into the car - I presume it will run any android app (pandora included - although I stream directly from my Synology server, in the house via Synology Audio station app) to the phone to the Grom to the car radio - for sound output to the radio and microphone input to the phone...

I'm no expert but I think the steering wheel bluetooth button is signaling (with a unique identifier) on the CAN (Controller Area Network) in the car to any device that is programmed to pick it up to respond ie the Grom or the OEM Bluetooth - to me ...its Magical hocus pokus!
Appreciate 0