ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
kk7ds
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

How to deal with sagging A-pillar leather?

We just picked up a 2006 3.0si for my wife as a second fun summer car. Most everything is in great shape, except for the A-pillars which are covered in leather and are sagging really badly. I've found the covers on realoem, which are part 1 here:

Name:  diag_2cnj.png
Views: 454
Size:  89.9 KB

However, realoem says that these are actually two parts.. The "covering apron" and the "finishing leather":

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.00.51 AM.png
Views: 705
Size:  36.5 KB

I assume that means if I order 51437016667 it will come without the leather on it, is that right? If so, the question is: is the leather optional and will the bare plastic part look okay on its own? Or does it really need to be covered by the leather to look right? If the leather is required, I guess I'm best off trying to find a donor part on eBay or locally where that is already done?

I haven't pulled the trim off to see if re-stretching the leather is an option, but I'm guessing that will be a pain, require glue, etc. I haven't really found anyone mentioning this problem (which surprises me), so if I'm missing or searching for the wrong words, I'd sure appreciate a pointer to a guide or other discussion.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

I's take it to an upholstery shop that specializes in headliners and leather repairs. They should be able to match the existing leather with new leather on your existing bases, or rework the original leather if that works for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

It's easy to take the pillars out.
Remove the screws that hold the hinges for the sun visors, pop off the part over the windshield, then pull the A-pillar covers up and out.

I peeled the leather off mine, messaged it vigorously with baseball glove dressing, then Gliptone leather cleaner, then Gliptone leather conditioner.
Glued it back on with Liquid Nails in a 2-step process.
1) Glue the main surface and wrap the whole thing in an elastic bandage until dry.
2) Glue the edge flaps to the inside and clamp with popsicle sticks and binder clips.

While you have the part over the windshield out, you'll probably notice that it needs some work, too.
Same process, although I didn't have to peel the whole thing off. Just touched up the front edge.

That was years ago. It sits in SoCal Sun all day every day and the leather still looks great.
Rest of the car looks like hell, but that's another thread.
      10-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
kk7ds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
It's easy to take the pillars out.
Remove the screws that hold the hinges for the sun visors, pop off the part over the windshield, then pull the A-pillar covers up and out.

I peeled the leather off mine, messaged it vigorously with baseball glove dressing, then Gliptone leather cleaner, then Gliptone leather conditioner.
Glued it back on with Liquid Nails in a 2-step process.
1) Glue the main surface and wrap the whole thing in an elastic bandage until dry.
2) Glue the edge flaps to the inside and clamp with popsicle sticks and binder clips.

While you have the part over the windshield out, you'll probably notice that it needs some work, too.
Same process, although I didn't have to peel the whole thing off. Just touched up the front edge.

That was years ago. It sits in SoCal Sun all day every day and the leather still looks great.
Rest of the car looks like hell, but that's another thread.
Okay, I guess that sounds doable. I was hoping to just buy new ones pre-wrapped.

Does anyone know if the leather is an option? Meaning, do some Z4s have just the bare plastic there? Just wondering if ordering the plastic and putting that in bare would be reasonable (aesthetically). I don't really care that they're wrapped in leather, I just don't want them wrapped in saggy leather

I was kindof surprised to find that nobody at two dealers could tell me anything about his. Parts *thought* that they wouldn't come wrapped, but didn't know if they were installable without the leather, or how to assemble the leather, or anything. Service couldn't tell me how they would fix it, or if they could, or would. It was a pretty disappointing couple of calls...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

It's part of the "extended leather" option.
Gets you full leather door cards, leather all the way up the center console, A-pillar and top trim, and leather instead of vinyl Sun visors.

My plan-B, if fixing the leather on the A-pillar covers didn't work, was just to leave it off.
They're just the $43 part with $500 worth of leather glued on.
      10-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
kk7ds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
It's part of the "extended leather" option.
Gets you full leather door cards, leather all the way up the center console, A-pillar and top trim, and leather instead of vinyl Sun visors.
Oh, that is excellent data. When I researched this before buying, I saw the $40 pieces and thought "ah, no problem". So your info tells me that the plastic bits are reasonable to have exposed, which is fine and less hassle. I wish the dealers could have said as much.

Quote:
My plan-B, if fixing the leather on the A-pillar covers didn't work, was just to leave it off.
They're just the $43 part with $500 worth of leather glued on.
Yeah, I don't care that much and think it's worth just doing the easier thing. We'll see if my wife agrees

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

If you replace them with the $43 parts, try and sell the originals on in the Classifieds forum.
You can more than break even, and somebody can get a steal on $1000 worth of leather parts.
      01-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
BeachHappy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Not to revive an old thread, but I just went through this same issue with mine. Leather ones are available but were priced roughly ~$250 or so IIRC from my dealership connection.

I went a similar route to StickMon but just peeled back the wrinkled part after warming it up with a heat gun. Applied a leather conditioner and kept heating it up and was able to re-glue it to the pillar. Doesn't look perfect as the marks from the wrinkles are still visible, but to anyone who isn't as OCD about it as me? Unnoticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Let's ask Jennifer Aniston how she keeps her A-pillars from sagging.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0