ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #23
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
The other downside is I'd lose that mild sense of accomplishment I get from a well-executed gear change, all the more satisfying in the Z4M because it can be a bit tricky.
People need to get over the lack of involvement aspect. Sure in an auto mode they can be driven with a definite lack of involvement. But they also enable the driver to perfectly downshift while hard braking, shift mid corner without upsetting the car's cornering balance, and upshift with seamless power. I greatly appreciate what a modern dual clutch system enables the driver to achieve in respect to performance driving. My only real complaint is the inablility to actually hold a gear close to redline. Get too close and it will upshift. Ultimately, on a tight twisty road, a dual clutch system is equally involving and you'll find yourself shifting more which in turn allows the driver to keep the rpms at an optimum. Of course your left foot has nothing to do but your fingertips are far more involved...and it's fun.

Personally I have 25,000 miles experience with DSG. Loved every mile of it and never drove in auto. Now I'm back to 3 vehicles which are all tranditional manuals. I have no issue using a manual box as intended, and do appreciate perfect shifts when they happen, especially downshifts. But I also miss shifting with my fingertips. Shifting is certainly easier with a dual clutch box, but what you're getting in trade is the ability to really control the rev range under any situation. Ultimately I enjoy both.
      05-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #24
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
But they also enable the driver to perfectly downshift while hard braking, shift mid corner without upsetting the car's cornering balance, and upshift with seamless power.
That is literally, ALL the fun in mastering the dark art.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
My only real complaint is the inablility to actually hold a gear close to redline. Get too close and it will upshift.
You lost me right there. I hate those moments in modern cars, where the computer nannies say "Whoops, you better let me take over now."
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #26
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
You lost me right there. I hate those moments in modern cars, where the computer nannies say "Whoops, you better let me take over now."
That's the trade off for the impossiblity to overrev the motor during hard acceleration and aggressive downshifting. It may be considered a nanny when trying to hold the gear at almost redline, but it's greatly appreciated when the system won't let you downshift due to overrev. Again, I greatly appreciate both.
      05-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #27
SAVAGE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I have only driven manuals until I bought the BMW and witht he amount of time I spend in traffic every day all I can say is for my everyday car I wold never buy a manual again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #28
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

my whole family drives a stick

My wife, daughter, and son all drive sticks. I traded in my 2006 z43.0i for a 2006 z4 3.0si last week because of the mileage on my old car and was able to get have them to include the 6 year 100,000 mile service along with the already included 6 year 1000,000 extended warranty and would not own this car without a stick(car only had 13,000 miles on it). The salesman told me when he went to europe this year and rented a car he was told they did not have any handicap vehicles left for him to drive. He told them he could drive a stick and they said okay most people from the US cannot drive sticks and that is what we refer to as handicapped cars. (automatics)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #29
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I have the automatic with paddle shifters and have a question about sport mode. If I change the gear lever to the left (sport position) I know that I am in sport mode. If I touch the paddles it will then shift manually. The question is if I go to sport mode and then use the paddles, do I stay in sport mode or change back to normal mode?