ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #155
andrewmr
Private First Class
251
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2013 335
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bucks County PA.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Your sense of adventure defines giant so it really depends.

Mine stays in the car at work, on my person otherwise.


We started off talking about giant dildos..... where in your car do you keep yours?

Or did we change (back) topics :-)
Appreciate 1
xander_g766.00

      12-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #156
dkreidel
Lieutenant
dkreidel's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
517
Posts

Drives: a lot of BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Montana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Just making an observation. You may be totally fine with your choices.

I have always shot 1911's in any/all of the competitions. At some time in my life, I decided I was tired of carrying all that weight (concealed carry) and went with a lighter plastic 9mm with higher capacity for concealed carry. Boy was it nice having a smaller, lighter gun on my hip.

Many years (decades) ago at one of our shooting events, I decided to try something. Let's shoot the carry gun instead of the 1911. Boy was that an eye opening experience.

I was shooting 3 or 4 hundred rounds a week, so it's not like I was inexperienced. And I was willing to accept the difference between a single action first round shot of the 1911 and the double action first round shot of the 9mm. But when it was time to put it all to use, there was a serious difference between the two. Mag release, slide release, safety and recoil all were different and my confidence in the firearm (in competition) suffered.

The 9mm went back into the safe, and I went back to carrying a 1911.



The guns you have may be so similar ( I don't know anything about either of them) that it's transparent to you. If that's the case, I've wasted my time typing this. If there is a difference between the two, you may want to pick a favorite and acquire a second for the other car.

You can thank me for a reason to purchase another firearm later :-).....
Thanks for the heads-up, but both Sig Sauer pistols are single stack with identical DA/SA manual of arms. Both are hammer fired, have very similar triggers, identical night sights with Crimson Trace grips, etc. I do have a second P239 in 357 Sig that lives in my daily driver, a Ram 1500 4x4, and a second P220 in 45 ACP for the Bullitt. You bring up very good points, so the effort was much appreciated and not wasted

A Mossberg Shockwave also lives secured in the pick-up

Curiously, Montana does not consider loaded weapons (in or out of sight) in vehicles as concealed, and therefore do not require a CCW. Montana is a shall issue state, and I've had my CCW for as long as I've lived here.
__________________
2020 X3 M40 Alpine White over Cognac • 20" BBS CC-R • Cerium delete
2019 Bullitt Mustang Dark Highland Green • 508 HP • 6 MT • my toy
2018 440xi vert Mineral Gray over Golden Brown • 19" APEX FL-5 • Dinan S2 • ED 10/2017
2017 440xi Estoril over Saddle Brown • 6-speed • Every stinkin' option
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #157
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
846
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Just making an observation. You may be totally fine with your choices.

I have always shot 1911's in any/all of the competitions. At some time in my life, I decided I was tired of carrying all that weight (concealed carry) and went with a lighter plastic 9mm with higher capacity for concealed carry. Boy was it nice having a smaller, lighter gun on my hip.

Many years (decades) ago at one of our shooting events, I decided to try something. Let's shoot the carry gun instead of the 1911. Boy was that an eye opening experience.

I was shooting 3 or 4 hundred rounds a week, so it's not like I was inexperienced. And I was willing to accept the difference between a single action first round shot of the 1911 and the double action first round shot of the 9mm. But when it was time to put it all to use, there was a serious difference between the two. Mag release, slide release, safety and recoil all were different and my confidence in the firearm (in competition) suffered.

The 9mm went back into the safe, and I went back to carrying a 1911.



The guns you have may be so similar ( I don't know anything about either of them) that it's transparent to you. If that's the case, I've wasted my time typing this. If there is a difference between the two, you may want to pick a favorite and acquire a second for the other car.

You can thank me for a reason to purchase another firearm later :-).....
I wasn’t shooting in competition, just for fun at the range...quite a bit, and Ibhad the same realization.

Carry what you like shooting, for me that is a 1911. Most of the time it’s my Ed Brown
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #158
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
2303
Rep
2,325
Posts

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJD View Post
Being from the UK, I find it incredibly sad this thread even exists.
I wish I lived in the UK, where I would be completely safe from knife attacks, acid attacks, and terrorist attacks.
Appreciate 9
vreihen162783.50
MKSixer26521.00
Dpc2u4269.50
Todd0131185.00
xander_g766.00
DieselOG1393.50
Run Silent14536.00

      12-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #159
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
26521
Rep
10,461
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I wish I lived in the UK, where I would be completely safe from knife attacks, acid attacks, and terrorist attacks.
And you never have to worry about being excluded from certain parts of town under threat of physical harm.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 94 Wins. 98 Pole Positions. 53 Fastest Laps. Rain Master.
Remember, 2 Pole Positions, 9 Wins and 9 Fastest Laps after 5 years in a top team are mediocre results. You know who you are.
Appreciate 7
Dpc2u4269.50
Dave 90TT2302.50
xander_g766.00
DieselOG1393.50
Run Silent14536.00

      12-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #160
xander_g
Major
xander_g's Avatar
Canada
766
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: E92/F10
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 535xi  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Alfisti - your thoughts on suppressors? I know you have some!


Me personally, I'd like to see them legal in Canada. Realistically, that is a pipe dream at the moment. Right now, I'm just hoping they don't confiscate my handgun, because Turdeau has it in his mind that handguns are the ones going out and shooting people, not gangs. Gangs are just helpless tools in the hands of a handgun in Turdeau's mind.

Suppressors should definitely be legal in Canada but with all that's been going on lately, I would be happy if the bans they are planning fall through and everything stays the same.

Trudeau only cares about looking good in front of his UN buddies and saving face. The circus that they made out of the L'ecole Polytechnique anniversary is disgusting.

Blair is talking about going through OIC to ban "assault weapons" while lying in parliament with statements like "police chiefs across the country have been talking for years about banning these types of weapons" which could not be further from the truth.

This time around he is not releasing a list because he's afraid its going to cause an increase in firearm purchases like last time - #BillSentMe but I fear that it's going to be something along the lines of "anything with a detachable magazine" except .22LR

I genuinely hope that this minority government wont be able to do any damage within the time frame they have available.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #161
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
759
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Lining in Tennessee - the "patron state of shooting stuff" - sure must be like a fantasy to some of the posters on here. Guns and open carry are a way of life here.

One of the things I would like to do is figure how to modify something within reach inside the car to conceal a pistol yet have quick access. I mounted one of those modular Blackhawk Serpa holsters vertically in the console of my 2001 Ford truck. That holds a full-sized 1911 perfectly and completely complies with the law.

My 88 GT Mustang had a section of door panel detached from the rest of the door panel, converted into a spring loaded flip-out panel, and a couple of '87 mustang electric gas tank releases to hold the panel shut. Closed, it was a perfect fit. Push the left horn button and the panel pops open. Sure wish I could do that to my BMW, but the door panel is not shaped right for that.

Has anybody modified their F30 to conceal a pistol??
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u4269.50

      12-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #162
AntF32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
258
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 435D xDrive with stuff
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hampshire (the original one)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
And you never have to worry about being excluded from certain parts of town under threat of physical harm.
Everybody keeps talking about these exclusion zones, they must be pretty exclusive as i've yet to find this Unicorn.

I've worked in some shitty parts of the Uk, and in fact the US (Chicago - enough said) and outside of exercising common sense and basic risk assessment have never felt threatened.

The internet "educated" are a bizarre bunch.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #163
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
1502
Rep
4,326
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntF32 View Post
Everybody keeps talking about these exclusion zones, they must be pretty exclusive as i've yet to find this Unicorn.

I've worked in some shitty parts of the Uk, and in fact the US (Chicago - enough said) and outside of exercising common sense and basic risk assessment have never felt threatened.

The internet "educated" are a bizarre bunch.
Then you've never been in the right part of Chicago.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe • 6 MT • Black Saphire Metallic • PP • SP • Heated M Seats • Clutch Stop • Stubby
2008 R6 • Raven Black • GPR Steering Stabilizer • Comp Werks FE • Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2016 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Premium Plus 4x4 • K&N CAI • Toyo G2 LT305/55R20
Appreciate 4
MKSixer26521.00
Rmtt8036.50

      12-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #164
pennsiveguy
Major
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3270
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Then you've never been in the right part of Chicago.
Do a Google map search for "check cashing" or "payday loans" and find a neighborhood with a bunch of 'em. Drive there, park at the curb near a busy intersection, and roll all your windows down and just sit there and let the "cultural opportunities" begin. It'll be an enriching experience. For them, at least.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE
Appreciate 2
MKSixer26521.00
vreihen162783.50

      12-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #165
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
26521
Rep
10,461
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntF32 View Post
Everybody keeps talking about these exclusion zones, they must be pretty exclusive as i've yet to find this Unicorn.

I've worked in some shitty parts of the Uk, and in fact the US (Chicago - enough said) and outside of exercising common sense and basic risk assessment have never felt threatened.

The internet "educated" are a bizarre bunch.
Lol. I worked for a biotech in Chicago for almost 3 years. If you don't think there are areas that you shouldn't go to in Chicago, either haven't been there or you aren't very smart.

During the the weekend of the American Diabetes Association meeting in 2013...June if I remember correctly, there were 12 or 13 killings and over 50 or 60 other casualties.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 94 Wins. 98 Pole Positions. 53 Fastest Laps. Rain Master.
Remember, 2 Pole Positions, 9 Wins and 9 Fastest Laps after 5 years in a top team are mediocre results. You know who you are.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #166
pennsiveguy
Major
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3270
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Lol. I worked for a biotech in Chicago for almost 3 years. If you don't think there are areas that you shouldn't go to in Chicago, either haven't been there or you aren't very smart.

During the the weekend of the American Diabetes Association meeting in 2013...June if I remember correctly, there were 12 or 13 killings and over 50 or 60 other casualties.
Chicago may have some really rough neighborhoods, but it makes up for it by being a complete financial cluster-fuck.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE
Appreciate 1
MKSixer26521.00

      12-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #167
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
26521
Rep
10,461
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Chicago may have some really rough neighborhoods, but it makes up for it by being a complete financial cluster-fuck.
Don't forget the winters. I was at Kellogg for some training and if a snowflake passed your face it wasn't going to hit the ground for 10 miles. Misery with a side order Total BS.

Still, one of my fav places in the summer!!
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 94 Wins. 98 Pole Positions. 53 Fastest Laps. Rain Master.
Remember, 2 Pole Positions, 9 Wins and 9 Fastest Laps after 5 years in a top team are mediocre results. You know who you are.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8036.50

      12-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #168
pennsiveguy
Major
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3270
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Don't forget the winters. I was at Kellogg for some training and if a snowflake passed your face it wasn't going to hit the ground for 10 miles. Misery with a side order Total BS.

Still, one of my fav places in the summer!!
Where I live is 10-15 degrees colder than Chicago, and my cabin is another 10 degrees colder than that, on average. Would be a shocker if you're coming from the South, though. My GF's sons both live in Chicago, so I'm there several times a year.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE
Appreciate 1
MKSixer26521.00

      12-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #169
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
11487
Rep
14,091
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Apparently the pizza delivery driver had a gun in his car.......

The driver was armed and shot both robbery suspects, Dallas police sources told WFAA. https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...3-23f4680d1053
__________________
Ride.........ride on the dragons breath
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #170
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
846
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Apparently the pizza delivery driver had a gun in his car.......

The driver was armed and shot both robbery suspects, Dallas police sources told WFAA. https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...3-23f4680d1053
Yeah, I don't know if you've seen CNN, but this can not be true, guns are never used for self defense, in fact all guns run around killing people by themselves.
Appreciate 3
vreihen162783.50
Hawkeye1502.00

      12-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #171
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
11487
Rep
14,091
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Yeah, I don't know if you've seen CNN, but this can not be true, guns are never used for self defense, in fact all guns run around killing people by themselves.
Why the pot shot at CNN?
__________________
Ride.........ride on the dragons breath
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #172
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
846
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Why the pot shot at CNN?
Why not?

They are one of the most 'vocal' pushers of the anti-gun narrative, in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent14536.00
vreihen162783.50

      12-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #173
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
11487
Rep
14,091
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Why not?

They are one of the most 'vocal' pushers of the anti-gun narrative, in my opinion.
Not that I've seen. And your CNN comment still seems to come out of the blue. My post was from WFAA, not CNN. My post had nothing to do with CNN.
__________________
Ride.........ride on the dragons breath
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #174
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
846
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Not that I've seen. And your CNN comment still seems to come out of the blue. My post was from WFAA, not CNN. My post had nothing to do with CNN.
It did come out of the blue it was a joke. I read the article, it appears to be a 'good' self defense shooting. The common narrative (from CNN and others) is that guns are strictly used for crime and not self defense.

I can see how this would be troubling to you, what with being a self proclaimed 'pirate and thief' (that was another joke)
Appreciate 1
vreihen162783.50

      12-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #175
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
upstatedoc's Avatar
4791
Rep
2,073
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Do a Google map search for "check cashing" or "payday loans" and find a neighborhood with a bunch of 'em. Drive there, park at the curb near a busy intersection, and roll all your windows down and just sit there and let the "cultural opportunities" begin. It'll be an enriching experience. For them, at least.
do they sell weed at these busy intersections?
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #176
pennsiveguy
Major
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
3270
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
do they sell weed at these busy intersections?
Yes, and you'd be well advised to buy some and share it generously. It might be your only hope.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST