ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #45
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The s/w I'm using is intended for the engineers at BMW, so it allows you to do anything, even recode a E86 module to E85 specs.
I will recode my E86 with this new file and listen to the difference. I have a sound pressure meter that I will use so I can measure the difference besides just by my ears. Did you notice louder bass frequencies when you swapped to the E85 coded amp?

ok, good to see you can recode it. Yes, we noticed louder bass frequencies, and louder and clearer volume levels overall. I would say it adds total volume increases and it stays clear all the way up.

Would be interested to see any measurable results, as measured by any type of meter instead of an ear.
      04-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
recoded

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
ok, good to see you can recode it. Yes, we noticed louder bass frequencies, and louder and clearer volume levels overall. I would say it adds total volume increases and it stays clear all the way up.

Would be interested to see any measurable results, as measured by any type of meter instead of an ear.
Ok, I got around to recoding my E86 to E85 specs. The most noticeable difference is it seem to have more punch on the low end and the sound level meter proved it to be louder. The mids and highs are harder to tell, they do sound different though. Determining if it's better by listening to the same song is so subjective, especially since I can't just flick a switch and listen to one then the other. I did recode it while I was listening to it in E86 mode and after it finished coding, the volume dropped substantially when it went into E85 mode. The volume level is not as loud in E85 mode, but it does not distort much at full volume either, where in E86 mode, I could not go to full volume without allot of distortion and fear of blowing the drivers. I'm going to leave it in E85 mode for now. I need to play with the EQ now and see if I can fine tune it some.

It only takes 15 seconds or so for the actual coding part, so I was switching back and forth and there is a pretty big difference in the sound. I have to copy and rename a file each time so within a minute I'm able to switch modes. Oh, and while I was in there I turned off the buzzer for key in the ignition when the door opens, which was pretty annoying when I needed to open the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #47
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, I got around to recoding my E86 to E85 specs. The most noticeable difference is it seem to have more punch on the low end and the sound level meter proved it to be louder. The mids and highs are harder to tell, they do sound different though. Determining if it's better by listening to the same song is so subjective, especially since I can't just flick a switch and listen to one then the other. I did recode it while I was listening to it in E86 mode and after it finished coding, the volume dropped substantially when it went into E85 mode. The volume level is not as loud in E85 mode, but it does not distort much at full volume either, where in E86 mode, I could not go to full volume without allot of distortion and fear of blowing the drivers. I'm going to leave it in E85 mode for now. I need to play with the EQ now and see if I can fine tune it some.

It only takes 15 seconds or so for the actual coding part, so I was switching back and forth and there is a pretty big difference in the sound. I have to copy and rename a file each time so within a minute I'm able to switch modes. Oh, and while I was in there I turned off the buzzer for key in the ignition when the door opens, which was pretty annoying when I needed to open the door.

Pungo - this is awesome. Well done!!!!

Interesting you found the volume to be less in E85 mode than E86, I found it to be the opposite actually. in E85, it was able to be much louder - & without distortion.

So, overall you'd agree about the E85 coding sounding better, and do you think its worth it?

Last edited by gtMc; 04-18-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #48
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

So how can I get this done? Can I come to MD and you hook a brotha up?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #49
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Pungo - this is awesome. Well done!!!!

Interesting you found the volume to be less in E85 mode than E86, I found it to be the opposite actually. in E85, it was able to be much louder - & without distortion.

So, overall you'd agree about the E85 coding sounding better, and do you think its worth it?
It's strange because I was listening to it when I changed from E86 to E85 and the volume decreased after the coding completed. I can now turn the volume all the way up to near max without distortion. Before it would distort way before full volume. I wish there was a volume level indicator. This is the 1st car I've ever seen that did not have a volume level value.

I will say that it seems to have more punch, but the jury is still out if all frequencies sound better. It seems as though it's missing something, hard to put my finger on it. I think it needs a hybrid coding using some E86 and some E85. I'll try some more experimenting. This is not my DD so I don't get much seat time in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
So how can I get this done? Can I come to MD and you hook a brotha up?
The next time you're in MD bring a case of beer and I'll hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #50
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
I'd agree that it's still missing something. Some midrange enhancement would be nice. As I don't have an EQ, hard for me to adjust. Regardless, your assessment of more punch and clarity to highest volume levels are the same that mheavnc and I both found, and it's a dramatic improvement as a result. I am now satisfied and pleased with the sound quality of the stock system.

Funny, because I still dont use the stereo much, I just love the sound of the s54 too much to mask it with music. The stereo is only on when I have a passenger in the car.
      08-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #51
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Any updates?

I specifically bought the obdII k line cable from one-stop just to recode my e86 m amp to the roadster config. I'm planning on doing it this weekend and will post up my results/experiences.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #52
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatron View Post
Any updates?

I specifically bought the obdII k line cable from one-stop just to recode my e86 m amp to the roadster config. I'm planning on doing it this weekend and will post up my results/experiences.
Nice! No updates from me other than it still sounds awesome. Id see if pungo might be able to help if you need it, he seems very knowledgeable on coding this. I know very little. It'd be awesome to figure out a way to code in a little more midrange though, and to be able to recode to a roadster mapping easily. Swapping amps is just a difficult thing to arrange.

Def keep us posted on your progress.
      08-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #53
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatron
Any updates?

Cool. Let us know how it goes. I need a fix. Mine sounds terrible and makes me very angry. You would think it would sound as good as my roadster did.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #54
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Phew... As someone who knew nothing about bmw coding, this is quite a project to undertake for something so simple.

Long story short, I'm not even at the point where I can connect to the car yet.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #55
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Always remember that if you get an amp coded to to roadster, you have to make sure that if you ever take it to a BMW dealer, they DO NOT code the amp... If they plug it in, it will ask to be coded.. If they do code it, you will be back to the way you were... They really screwed up by changing the coding from the roadster to the coupe..

I coded mine to my wife's roadster and it sounds great.. However, I can't use the DSP settings or EQ because my wife's car doesn't have Navi.. I am not complaining at all.. I remember just how bad it was before.. I can change Bass/Treble/Balance and Fade.. gtMc's car has a amp that was coded to my wife's roadster also.. His has full functionality (including DSP) due to the fact he has exactly the same system my wife has in her roadster... (Business CD / No Navi / Premium / Carver)

In short, my coding process requires me to......
1. Take the amp out of the roadster.
2. Install a Coupe amp to the roadster.
3. Make a trip to the BMW.
4. Have the amp coded.
5. Uninstall the newly coded amp.
6. Reinstall the original amp to my wife's roadster..
7. Return Coupe amp to owner..

Would love for someone to find a better way... This process only applies to Z4 Coupes that have the premium 10 speaker system with Carver subs without Navi... However, I think this was a standard option on all coupes.. If you have Navi, you need to code to a roadster with Navi for full functionality..

Last edited by MHeavNC; 08-20-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #56
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, from what I've read it sounds like I can download the config from the amp and change every 'e86' to 'e85' and it should work.. I think. If it does work I believe I can upload the file and you should be able to go to an indy shop and have them code the amp. It will probably be cheaper than messing with the dealer and certainly easier as you don't have to tear the trunk apart.

I have the carver 10 speaker system, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Well, from what I've read it sounds like I can download the config from the amp and change every 'e86' to 'e85' and it should work.. I think. If it does work I believe I can upload the file and you should be able to go to an indy shop and have them code the amp. It will probably be cheaper than messing with the dealer and certainly easier as you don't have to tear the trunk apart.

But it was so much fun!!

Hope this works out... Coupe owners deserve better than what they have..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #58
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeavNC View Post
Always remember that if you get an amp coded to to roadster, you have to make sure that if you ever take it to a BMW dealer, they DO NOT code the amp... If they plug it in, it will ask to be coded.. If they do code it, you will be back to the way you were... They really screwed up by changing the coding from the roadster to the coupe..

I coded mine to my wife's roadster and it sounds great.. However, I can't use the DSP settings or EQ because my wife's car doesn't have Navi.. I am not complaining at all.. I remember just how bad it was before.. I can change Bass/Treble/Balance and Fade.. gtMc's car has a amp that was coded to my wife's roadster also.. His has full functionality (including DSP) due to the fact he has exactly the same system my wife has in her roadster... (Business CD / No Navi / Premium / Carver)

In short, my coding process requires me to......
1. Take the amp out of the roadster.
2. Install a Coupe amp to the roadster.
3. Make a trip to the BMW.
4. Have the amp coded.
5. Uninstall the newly coded amp.
6. Reinstall the original amp to my wife's roadster..
7. Return Coupe amp to owner..

Would love for someone to find a better way... This process only applies to Z4 Coupes that have the premium 10 speaker system with Carver subs without Navi... However, I think this was a standard option on all coupes.. If you have Navi, you need to code to a roadster with Navi for full functionality..
. Thats my exact sytem. Carver w/o navi...
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #59
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:

What programmer are you using? If this works, Ill buy you a couple of cases of craft beer my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
E85 file

Quote:

I see this post has been brought back to life. Here is the AMP file from my E86 w/NAV converted to E85. The coding is really easy...
E86 DSP_E85.C02 FSW_PSW coded to E85.TRC.txt
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #61
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I never could understand why all the coupe owners said it was such a bad system, until I got together one day with a friend of mine here with a coupe and the same system (including nav). We jammed a CD of mine in my system, and he was blown away. Then we transferred the CD to his car and the difference was very noticeable, even after I set his EQ to my settings. It's actually a very nice sounding factory system, IMO. I added the BSW stage one mids and tweets, dynamatted the door cards and carver sub boxes, and I am very happy with the sound.................. it's not $3000 custom shop aftermarket good, but it is good enough for me, and I have had those expensive custom systems in my cars for years. Once you get the EQ dialed in, it sounds like a good high end system.................. runs out of headroom for me at about 60 miles per hour with the top down, but below that, or with the top up, it rocks.

John
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #62
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I never could understand why all the coupe owners said it was such a bad system, until I got together one day with a friend of mine here with a coupe and the same system (including nav). We jammed a CD of mine in my system, and he was blown away. Then we transferred the CD to his car and the difference was very noticeable, even after I set his EQ to my settings. It's actually a very nice sounding factory system, IMO. John
^ yep thats what I discovered after making the switch too.

Quote:
I see this post has been brought back to life. Here is the AMP file from my E86 w/NAV converted to E85. The coding is really easy...
Attachment 751343
^ so this is pretty much why this thread exists and what MHeavNC and I were hoping to get to. Anyone that can take this code and apply it to thier E86 should have a fix that leads to a better sounding stock system. Have at it... thanks Pungo! curious if it works for anyone else out there.
      09-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #63
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Attachment 751343
Any steps to do this coding? Will Progman work with a cable?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #64
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
I used NCS Expert, I haven't used Progman. There are plenty of "how to" for using NCS Expert to code.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #65
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
[QUOTE=pungo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
One more question. When using expert on the amp( or any small programming job) did you use a power supply or was the car battery sufficient to allow voltage during coding? I have a battery tender plus. Know that's not enough but I'm not going to be doing any heavy coding, just alarm and radio. Maybe three flash turn signals too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #66
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I've done simple recoding without an external power supply...just have the key at the ON position.
Appreciate 0