ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Z4m Bilstein Pss10

Getting closer to install! Will be paired with Vorshlag camber/caster/spring perch combo, new factory LCABs, Meyle HD sway bar end links, rouge engineering RSMs, Meyle HD RTABs, ECS limiters and Super Pro purple rear upper spring pads. I can't wrap my head around how it good it will handle because it already handles so good!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      01-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

As someone installing new coilovers too (H&R for me), what's the purpose for the ECS limiters and super pro spring pads?

I ordered the Rogue rear shock mounts as well, and new OEM front shock mounts.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
As someone installing new coilovers too (H&R for me), what's the purpose for the ECS limiters and super pro spring pads?

I ordered the Rogue rear shock mounts as well, and new OEM front shock mounts.
Limiters:

"Factory rear trailing arm bushings allow for two undesirable scenarios: premature failure and unexpected changes in toe. Limiting side-to-side deflection of the rear trailing arm, limiters surround the rear trailing arm bushing, maximizing bushing life while eliminating undesired rear toe changes. This alignment retention allows for more predictable handling in corners and over bumps, without a loss of ride quality. Manufactured of wear resistant, noise resistant delrin, ECS RTAB limiters offer a solution to an inferior factory design.
Meyle HD bushings offer an OE-style performance upgrade without adding any unwanted harshness to your ride. Coupled with ECS RTAB limiters they make an almost perfect upgrade for a daily car or one that sees time on the track."

Spring pads: (why not while I'm there mod)

"Polyurethane for a more rigid and reactive suspension."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

I know nothing about this PSS10 coilover setup but RTAB limiters are a bandaid fix. You should have used a true monoball bearing in this area as it has ZERO unwanted deflection and gives better articulation in their three axis of rotation.

Mix and matching bushing types is a sub-optimum way to go as far as handling is concerned as there is a lack of consistency between the different suspension components. You are using monoball camber plates and RSM anyway, I don't know why you would skimp on the RTAB's.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 01-08-2019 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I know nothing about this PSS10 coilover setup but RTAB limiters are a bandaid fix. You should have used a true monoball bearing in this area as it has ZERO unwanted deflection and gives better articulation in three their axis of rotation.

Mix and matching bushing types is a sub-optimum way to go as far as handling is concerned as there is a lack of consistency between the different suspension components. You are using monoball camber plates and RSM anyway, I don't know why you would skimp on the RTAB's.

I don't plan on tracking it and wanted to keep a factory looking bushing Incase I ever decide to sell it which is why I went with the myle HD. Also I was trying to minimize the increase in NVH. Now you have me thinking!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I am not sure how much NVH just a set of monoball RTAB's would add just on their own because I did EVERY monoball/spherical bushing all at once.

However, there is no way in hell any potential buyer would be able to see what RTAB is in there just by looking without taking the carrier out. Where they live is not a place that can easily be seen. Limiters are probably a good compromise for the street, so probably just forget what I just said.

Although, you will definitely get clunking noises when you go over sharp road divisions anyway with those monoball Camber and RSM plates. Don't ask me how I know this. Does that make them a bad choice...., no it is just part and parcel of going down this route.

So my reasoning was you might as well go all the way because the NVH will be increased by this setup so you might as well get the full benefit.

Just had a quick look for you. I am not sure that Vorshlag make them as all their top plates are monoball both front and rear, which in my opinion is the right way to do things. But you can get 'street' camber and RSM for the PSS10's that use rubber to maintain a stock level of comfort.

My ride is so far past that stage already I don't worry anymore about NVH but I understand that for many it is a real concern.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      01-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure how much NVH just a set of monoball RTAB's would add just on their own because I did EVERY monoball/spherical bushing all at once.

However, there is no way in hell any potential buyer would be able to see what RTAB is in there just by looking without taking the carrier out. Where they live is not a place that can easily be seen. Limiters are probably a good compromise for the street, so probably just forget what I just said.

Although, you will definitely get clunking noises when you go over sharp road divisions anyway with those monoball Camber and RSM plates. Don't ask me how I know this. Does that make them a bad choice...., no it is just part and parcel of going down this route.

So my reasoning was you might as well go all the way because the NVH will be increased by this setup so you might as well get the full benefit.

Just had a quick look for you. I am not sure that Vorshlag make them as all their top plates are monoball both front and rear, which in my opinion is the right way to do things. But you can get 'street' camber and RSM that use rubber to maintain a stock level of comfort.

My ride is so far past that stage already I don't worry anymore about NVH but I understand that for many it is a real concern.

Im about to order these. Good choice?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

They are the same ones that I got from TMS, I think they are excellent. Except these are the updated model that is fully sealed, which is a good thing.

Just a word about pricing, they have been on special with 10% discount for around $250 but appear to be back to normal pricing now.

I am the same, whenever I want something stuff is never on special

If you subscribe to Turner's newsletter and register on their website you will definitely know when the specials are on as they email me almost daily! Or maybe if you ask real nice they may give you a special discount for these.

Just depends how quick you need them I guess.

I will say that I can hear a definite clunk from them when I cross a road division or on a sharp bump but this is with all brands of monoball RTAB's, not TMS specifically. On smooth to moderate roads they are fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They are the same ones that I got from TMS, I think they are excellent. Except these are the updated model that is fully sealed, which is a good thing.

Just a word about pricing, they have been on special with 10% discount for around $250 but appear to be back to normal pricing now.

I am the same, whenever I want something stuff is never on special

If you subscribe to Turner's newsletter and register on their website you will definitely know when the specials are on as they email me almost daily! Or maybe if you ask real nice they may give you a special discount for these.

Just depends how quick you need them I guess.

I will say that I can hear a definite clunk from them when I cross a road division or on a sharp bump but this is with all brands of monoball RTAB's, not TMS specifically. On smooth to moderate roads they are fine.

Ordered and I had to pay for two day shipping to make the install date! Thank you and damn you!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #10
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Good stuff, I am sure you will love them.

How long do you think before you get everything installed?

I would really be interested to see the install pictures as well as your review and driving impressions when this whole project finally comes together. Promise you will update this thread?

I remember a while ago the PSS10's were unavailable for ages or something. Don't know why.

Solid mounts and monoballs make such a difference you will be surprised at how much deflection is in the stock rubber components when you take your first drive.

After my upgrade HERE I would never go back to standard rubber mounts on a performance car. The floating feeling you sometimes get with stock bushings is totally gone and you don't have any roll or bounce.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff, I am sure you will love them.

How long do you think before you get everything installed?

I would really be interested to see the install pictures as well as your review and driving impressions when this whole project finally comes together. Promise you will update this thread?

I remember a while ago the PSS10's were unavailable for ages or something. Don't know why.

Solid mounts and monoballs make such a difference you will be surprised at how much deflection is in the stock rubber components when you take your first drive.

After my upgrade HERE I would never go back to standard rubber mounts on a performance car. The floating feeling you sometimes get with stock bushings is totally gone and you don't have any

I can't promise pictures as I will not be present during install but I can guarantee a solid review once I get some good seat time, weather permitting.

Apparently they were on national backorder for 18months. I got lucky and caught the last set on ECS for $1900. I'm guessing they had canceled orders from people that got tired of waiting to long and needed to move the product. Luckily I stalk car sites daily!

I had full suspension and bushings on my 350z. Significantly improved handling but also significantly increased NVH. I appreciate the quite refinement of the M and hope this doesn't ruin that too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Install day at GT PEACE CHANTILLY, VA
Attached Images

Last edited by JimBob0047; 01-22-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
Azeka1284.50
kaybat125.50
      01-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ride height is set! Can't wait to get some seat time!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
3002 tii2272.00
      01-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

YAY!!!!
What front and rear drop did you set??

Can't wait to hear the seat-time comments.
      01-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
YAY!!!!
What front and rear drop did you set??

Can't wait to hear the seat-time comments.

Not quite sure but I'd guess about 3/4 inch front and rear. It's too bad we're supposed to get snow again this weekend. It absolutely killed me driving it on treated roads this morning to the shop. Looks like it's gonna be a long winter
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Looks great
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got a chance to really push it today on some technical and tight back roads. Still some sand on the roads and it was below 40 so I took it "easy". Throughly impressed. I have it set on 5/6 F/R. It handles and rides miles ahead of the factory suspension. You really begin to appreciate the rigidity of this chassis. This is the way to go for a street setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:54 AM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Did you cut any of the trim to adjust the rear shocks?
      01-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #19
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Did you cut any of the trim to adjust the rear shocks?

The adjustment knobs are on the bottom. Big selling point on these vs everything else. You don't even need to lift the car. For the front you turn the wheel to access the knob and the rear you reach behind the tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
The adjustment knobs are on the bottom. Big selling point on these vs everything else. You don't even need to lift the car. For the front you turn the wheel to access the knob and the rear you reach behind the tire.
That’s the one thing I overlooked when buying my GC kit!
      01-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
That's the one thing I overlooked when buying my GC kit!
This is why I didn't go with KW V3.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #22
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Curious how you like the setup now with more seat time.
Appreciate 0