ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
308tr6
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC?

And it begins....

So I've had it for a week or so....time to get started. Tires were pretty knackered - the rears at least, so that was an obvious. I looked at a 1000 wheel threads and just couldn't make a decision, so staying stock for now - I kinda like them. Maybe another day for that. Pickup tires tomorrow - Potenza's in stock size.

Basically doing a complete fluids change, and since its up on the lift might as well put a new exhaust on (Stromung). (ya gotta do something while the oil is draining) I was amazed at how easy this was - literally a couple hours. Pic is with everything "started" I will tighten and try to get the tips as aligned as possible.

Anyway, started down the slippery slope.....thanks to all you sick bastards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      06-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #24
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

That blue looks black in photos. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #25
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Super cool colors! Nice ride.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308tr6 View Post
So I've had it for a week or so....time to get started. Tires were pretty knackered - the rears at least, so that was an obvious. I looked at a 1000 wheel threads and just couldn't make a decision, so staying stock for now - I kinda like them. Maybe another day for that. Pickup tires tomorrow - Potenza's in stock size.

Basically doing a complete fluids change, and since its up on the lift might as well put a new exhaust on (Stromung). (ya gotta do something while the oil is draining) I was amazed at how easy this was - literally a couple hours. Pic is with everything "started" I will tighten and try to get the tips as aligned as possible.

Anyway, started down the slippery slope.....thanks to all you sick bastards.
Hey, that's what we're here for!

Congratulations on a very nice find.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #27
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
That blue looks black in photos. Interesting.
Yeah that's what it looks like in the shade too. It's pretty cool because it's like having a car with two different colors.

I love the gloves hiding the plate numbers! At first I was like wtf is that haha
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #28
308tr6
Private
Rep

Plugs

So I got the oil changed without issue. Looking at diff and trans...googling around I saw some mention of "one use plugs". You can re-use these right? Or???? I have never heard of one use plugs before, but then I have never owned a BMW before....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #29
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 ZCP M3 14 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If it's the same color as my SI then your car is Montego blue.

And congrats to the OP on the awesome new ride!!
No sir, definitely same color as OPs car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Congrats on finding the car you were looking for. I like your shop too. What brand of heater is that sitting up in the corner? I've got a Modine Hot Dawg, which I'm not impressed with (reliability sucks), so I'm looking for a new shop heater. I have the same saw horses BTW

Thanks
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #31
308tr6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Congrats on finding the car you were looking for. I like your shop too. What brand of heater is that sitting up in the corner? I've got a Modine Hot Dawg, which I'm not impressed with (reliability sucks), so I'm looking for a new shop heater. I have the same saw horses BTW

Thanks
Thanks, the shop is a bit dirty (another day), but it is a nice place to work. The heater is a REZNOR, and I have never had an issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #32
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
So I got the oil changed without issue. Looking at diff and trans...googling around I saw some mention of "one use plugs". You can re-use these right? Or???? I have never heard of one use plugs before, but then I have never owned a BMW before....
The plugs have built-in rubber sealing o-rings so it's iffy to reuse them. If it leaks reusing them, then you'll have to change them out, which means draining away all that expensive BMW-magical-unicorn diff fluids The plugs are relatively inexpensive, so it's not worth the risk of having leaking trans or diff - IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Thanks, the shop is a bit dirty (another day), but it is a nice place to work. The heater is a REZNOR, and I have never had an issue with it.
Thanks. I'll check it out. Every 5 years or so my Hot Dawg needs a new exhaust fan. It's a high efficiency unit so it needs a stainless steel exhaust for the acid in the exhaust gas, but for some reason they designed and built it with a galvanized squirrel cage... I tried to get the specs on the fan from Modine (the manufacturer) and find a stainless version, but they wouldn't give them up.

Again thanks for the info. Enjoy the M!
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #34
308tr6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
The plugs have built-in rubber sealing o-rings so it's iffy to reuse them. If it leaks reusing them, then you'll have to change them out, which means draining away all that expensive BMW-magical-unicorn diff fluids The plugs are relatively inexpensive, so it's not worth the risk of having leaking trans or diff - IMHO.
OK, makes sense. I am more troubled by getting it perfectly aligned on my lift than anything. So will have to do it another day and wait for my magical plugs to arrive in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #35
308tr6
Private
Rep

Anything else?

So, this was on my to do list and is done...(except for waiting on diff/trans plugs to do that)

Fluids change
Stubby antenna
CDV replacement
Stromung Exhaust
New tires (not wheels)
Rear brake pads

50K mileage car, very strong and solid, I am not a track guy. Anything else you guys think I should consider? Frankly it runs and feels awesome, nothing is bothering me, no weird noises, etc. The sound system bass is probably the biggest disappointment, but not exactly a problem...might check to see if the speaker is blown or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #36
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
So, this was on my to do list and is done...(except for waiting on diff/trans plugs to do that)

Fluids change
Stubby antenna
CDV replacement
Stromung Exhaust
New tires (not wheels)
Rear brake pads

50K mileage car, very strong and solid, I am not a track guy. Anything else you guys think I should consider? Frankly it runs and feels awesome, nothing is bothering me, no weird noises, etc. The sound system bass is probably the biggest disappointment, but not exactly a problem...might check to see if the speaker is blown or something.

Check out threads on coding to the roadster setup for your bass issue
Most guys were surprised by the results
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:53 AM   #37
Hammam
BMW Freak
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe + E36 & F11 Touring

I love monaco blue ! Nice Ride!

I just bought a monaco blue m coupe which is currently in the process of a RHD->LHD conversion

Will post some pictures in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #38
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Nice Find OP!
Another member to the MB Posse lol.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Here's a pic of mine i snapped yesterday. Pardon the quality
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #39
308tr6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Nice Find OP!
Another member to the MB Posse lol.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Here's a pic of mine i snapped yesterday. Pardon the quality
That looks awesome, kind of wished I went with new wheels when I bought tires, but still can.....yours look great
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #40
308tr6
Private
Rep

I'm back......

Wow its been awhile - a little over 3 years. So, obviously not been following the forum, etc., but still enjoying the car (summers only here in the frozen tundra)

Anyway, it is a garage queen, very stock, mileage about 59K ish. I am driving it rather infrequently.

Thinking about a sale, can someone clue me in on price situation recently? Up/down, sideways?

Thanks.

Last edited by 308tr6; 08-19-2019 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: can't count
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #41
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Prices have risen for desirable examples in the past few years. I sold my first one in mid-2015 - that was pretty much the bottom of the market. Prices slowly & steadily rising since. Your car is a very rare color, and VERY rare interior combo, plus non-nav is a definite plus, and extended light sepang leather is a HUGE plus IMHO. 59k miles not silly-low but still low. My guess? $38k with the "right" buyer? Though finding that buyer could take a while. My advice? HANG ON TO IT!! I immediately regretted selling my first one, finally got around to replacing it late last year, and I plan on keeping this one for the duration.
      08-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #42
308tr6
Private
Rep

Hey thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I agree with the just hang on to it theory, but my motorcycle interests are getting a tad out of control (in a good way). I just need to thin the herd (or win the lottery).

It is still a very desireable car - people comment and kids stare at it all the time and ask me how fast it will go - ha!

I know this sounds like a lame sales pitch, but I don't think there is a better value in the used sports car world right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #43
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M black saphire / imola

Congrats on the car... I do agree with the fact that Dallas roads just suck. I live in Houston and have traveled to Dallas over the years, constantly under construction. Not a fan...

You do have a rare color ….seems like you are going through the right items to freshen up the car.
I also added a stromung set up and a CAI....the sound is pure awesomeness.
enjoy.....
      08-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #44
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Here are some recent prices from Bring A Trailer auctions. The most recent one went for $33K. Rare interior color -- yours! But not a particularly rare exterior color. 38K miles. It seems to me that mileage is a big factor in what these cars will bring on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/z4-m-coupe/
Appreciate 0