ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Planning exhaust upgrade - could use some input

Hey Folks,

Through the marketplace on these forums I have recently come into a couple of items on my wish list for an exhaust upgrade. I need some direction on a couple of points.

Car is a 2006 Z4M Roadster with North American spec headers and Section 1. Current exhaust is completely stock.

Planned exhaust:
  • SuperSprint v2 stepped headers
  • BMW Euro Section 1 w Euro cats (I have these)
  • SuperSprint X Pipe
  • SuperSprint Powerloop Mufflers (I have these)

Some questions:
  1. I understand that the Euro section 1 is not directly compatible with headers made for a North American spec Z4M. Is there a specific SuperSprint v2 stepped header part number for the Z4M that mates with the Euro headers without modification?
  2. Are the E46 M3 headers compatible with a Z4M? I ask because of this product seems to bolt directly to Euro section 1.
  3. Is the SuperSprint X Pipe compatible with the Euro Section 1?
  4. Do I need a stud replacement with these parts?
  5. Aside from gaskets, what other parts do I need?

Much appreciated in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,
Eamonn

Last edited by eggman51; 07-25-2019 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
Hey Folks,

Through the marketplace on these forums I have recently come into a couple of items on my wish list for an exhaust upgrade. I need some direction on a couple of points.

Car is a 2006 Z4M Roadster with North American spec headers and Section 1. Current exhaust is completely stock.

Planned exhaust:
  • SuperSprint v2 stepped headers
  • BMW Euro Section 1 w Euro cats (I have these)
  • SuperSprint X Pipe
  • SuperSprint Powerloop Mufflers (I have these)

Some questions:
  1. I understand that the Euro section 1 is not directly compatible with headers made for a North American spec Z4M. Is there a specific SuperSprint v2 stepped header part number for the Z4M that mates with the Euro headers without modification? Who said Euro section 1 isn’t compatible with NA headers for Z4M? Plenty of aftermarket headers bolt up to NA section 1 so I don’t know why Euros wouldn't.
  2. Are the E46 M3 headers compatible with a Z4M? I ask because of this product seems to bolt directly to Euro headers. Yes e46 m3 headers fit z4 m
  3. Is the SuperSprint X Pipe compatible with the Euro Section 1? I believe so but someone else should confirm
  4. Do I need a stud replacement with these parts? Depends on which header you go with, different thickness flanges may warrant longer studs.
  5. Aside from gaskets, what other parts do I need? This would also be good time to do CPV o-ring. Also depending on mileage, maybe consider getting new rear o2's. For whatever reason, my experience has been rear o2's need to get replaced shortly after doing headers, especially if the car is on the higher mileage side.

Much appreciated in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,
Eamonn
see responses in red above

Last edited by 3002 tii; 07-24-2019 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I thought I understood that the Euro Section 1 has the flanges rotated in a way that is not compatible with North American spec headers.

Good idea on the CPV servicing.

When you say Rear O2s do you mean the sensor wire and sensor?

Thanks for the helpful response.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:13 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought I understood that the Euro Section 1 has the flanges rotated in a way that is not compatible with North American spec headers.

[COLOR="Red"]For #2, you asked if E46 M3 headers are compatible with Z4 M and the answer is yes. But your second sentence is confusing, "I ask because of this product seems to bolt directly to Euro headers." I'm assuming you meant Euro Section 1?
[/COLOR]

Good idea on the CPV servicing.

When you say Rear O2s do you mean the sensor wire and sensor?

[COLOR="red"]Yes rear o2 sensors. OE is expensive but Bosch sensors are much cheaper. And I'd much rather replace them during the header install than have to do it again later. Just keep in mind if you do end up connecting to Euro cats, you'll need to reroute the wiring as they won't reach based on how they're currently set.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the helpful response.

Cheers,
Eamonn
WRT to flange orientation, I could be wrong but I think you are confusing Section 1's from the E46 M3 and those do not fit the Z4 M. And that's consistent with that product link you posted because the picture at the bottom shows E46 Euro section 1 pipes (since only 1 side has a cat). I believe Starscream was one of the first to install SS V2 stepped headers onto his Euro Section 1 (Z4 M) and it was direct plug-n-play.
      07-24-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...ype-p2359.aspx

Per above, V2 stepped header should bolt on to US/EURO sec one.

The only difference Euro sec 1 is preferred is that it has the rear O2 bungs already in place. I chose to modify my US sec 1 and add the O2 bung for the following reason.

Since Euro sec 1 only have a set of cats, they are bigger than US sec 1 cats. So for maximum flow, modified US sec 1 is better for performance.

Super Sprint X-pipe will fit Euro or US sec 1. Our local member just installed one a few months back.

I always install new and better studs with washers when I change out the exhaust system. Just for a piece of mind for the future.

Do CPV like what 3002tii said.. $8 part

I would also do a tune to smooth out the new system that you have in place.. if air box is in the future, pick one that will accommodate that as well.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Yes rear o2 sensors. OE is expensive but Bosch sensors are much cheaper. And I'd much rather replace them during the header install than have to do it again later. Just keep in mind if you do end up connecting to Euro cats, you'll need to reroute the wiring as they won't reach based on how they're currently set.
Got it - I was thinking of ordering the Euro spec ones as they are quite a bit longer than the NA spec ones. Any issues with that you might be aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
For #2, you asked if E46 M3 headers are compatible with Z4 M and the answer is yes. But your second sentence is confusing, "I ask because of this product seems to bolt directly to Euro headers." I'm assuming you meant Euro Section 1?
Yeah, sorry I meant bolt directly to Euro section 1 - moot point now that you have clarified my misunderstanding - thanks!

Good to know the E46 M3 headers fit, gives me more options to skulk around for a used set.

Awesome help - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it - I was thinking of ordering the Euro spec ones as they are quite a bit longer than the NA spec ones. Any issues with that you might be aware of?

Yeah, sorry I meant bolt directly to Euro section 1 - moot point now that you have clarified my misunderstanding - thanks!

Good to know the E46 M3 headers fit, gives me more options to skulk around for a used set.

Awesome help - thanks!
Dont know anything about Euro o2 sensors, sorry