ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Went to a meet - Vinyl Wrap, 1M bumper, FancyWide Diffuser, Spyder Headlights

Finally got some good shots of the new bumper (custom spliced), spyder headlights, front splitter, new vinyl wrap (change it every year), fancywide diffuser

Last edited by SwissArmy; 07-11-2018 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Added diffuser photo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
redwing88
Rep
Drives: 650i m3 z4m

Looking good and a nice collection of cars. Looks like Vaughan? I'm in Hamilton area.
Appreciate 1
SwissArmy140.50
      07-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing88 View Post
Looking good and a nice collection of cars. Looks like Vaughan? I'm in Hamilton area.
Thanks! There were about 30 cars by the end of the night. Kind of a small meet
and Correct! It was at 400/Hwy 7. It was a RevUp Society meet. I'm in the Halton Hills area. Went up there with a few friends to see what the meet is about.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I'm curious to see that new bumper of yours. Curious what it looks like in person.
Appreciate 1
SwissArmy140.50
      07-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
I'm curious to see that new bumper of yours. Curious what it looks like in person.
Sure thing! I would have come out to the cruise, but it was raining profusely in my area.

Bumper: It was made by taking the top half of my OEM bumper, and splicing the bottom half of the Duraflex 1M look bumper. I have pictures somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Here are the OTHER two halves - top half of the aftermarket bumper, and bottom half of the OEM bumper

And here is the top half of OEM bumper spliced with the bottom half of the aftermarket bumper. Fused, filled, primed.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Quote:
Sure thing! I would have come out to the cruise, but it was raining profusely in my area.

Bumper: It was made by taking the top half of my OEM bumper, and splicing the bottom half of the Duraflex 1M look bumper. I have pictures somewhere.
I saw a link online of a 1m look alike piece that was already a full bumper. Was wondering if you had that same one. I had considered it from the pictures I had seen online. Was your 1m look alike made for another car originally? Like was it for a m3 or something?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I saw a link online of a 1m look alike piece that was already a full bumper. Was wondering if you had that same one. I had considered it from the pictures I had seen online. Was your 1m look alike made for another car originally? Like was it for a m3 or something?
Hey Shawn! Yup, the aftermarket bumper was a full bumper and was made for my car (E85). Here are the reasons why I spliced the two:

1. The aftermarket bumper does not fit correctly on the mounting brackets on each corner (the corners were completely smooth and do not have any grooves to latch onto the bumper brackets)
2. The kidney grill holes did not have any grooves to lock the grills onto so the grills would just slide out
3. There were no holes on the bottom or the side to mount to the fender liner and the skid tray/belly pan
4. There were disproportionate gaps under and around each headlight (I have to adjust my new spyder headlight because, according to my picture in the first post, they sit too far in. There is an adjustment screw/bolt on the corner that I will have to revisit sometime this weekend)
5. There were no mounting holes under the hood
6. The aftermarket bumper touched the bumper bash bar
7. The corner spots where the reflectors would be were of a different size. One was larger than the other. The reflectors did not fit either one
8. The circle for the emblem did not hold the emblem securely (a tad too big)

Since these Duraflex 1M bumpers are handmade or poured into very bad molds, they are very ill fitting. There would be way too much custom work to be done to make the aftermarket fit like the OEM bumper.

Since most the points above had to do with the top half of the bumper, I just decided to splice the top of the OEM bumper to the bottom of the aftermarket bumper. This was done by cutting both in half, attaching a metal reinforcement plate with epoxy to the back of the bumpers and then use fiber glass to fill in the front and the back.

Plastic welding could not have been used because the OEM bumper is polyurethane and the aftermarket bumper is fiber glass reinforced plastic.

Would I suggest this bumper? Absolutely! As long as you're willing to put in the work. I love the look over the Aero and M bumpers. But then again, looks are subjective.

Last edited by SwissArmy; 07-09-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It looks great and saw it on another car or two online. Love the look. That seems like a lot of work though. Will have to weigh all that up. Thanks for the detailed advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It looks great and saw it on another car or two online. Love the look. That seems like a lot of work though. Will have to weigh all that up. Thanks for the detailed advice.
No worries! You can always take the bumper to a body shop to have it mounted. I just fear they won't make it perfect, or, won't make it removable, or won't make it easy to put back on when removed.

I use quick release fasteners because if I were to ever tow my car, I don't have to be concerned about scratching the bumper since it's low to the ground, and I've gone through 4 pairs of bumper clips at $100 a pair before I made the switch. It may look tacky, but I like the rough drift look.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm not lowered and I wouldn't put the splitter on. I just liked the pics I saw of it online, how it just looked stock. Really freshened up the front end. I'll still be wanting to come see yours to see exactly what I'm up against.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
JVDHM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Coupe

Wow nice work, I'd be way too scared to cut my bumper lol. By the way do you have any pics of the fw diffuser? Curious to see what it looks like on non-Ms. FW told me they fit on all z4's
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not lowered and I wouldn't put the splitter on. I just liked the pics I saw of it online, how it just looked stock. Really freshened up the front end. I'll still be wanting to come see yours to see exactly what I'm up against.
That's the one! It does not fit well at all. 3/10 on out-of-the-wrapper fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDHM View Post
Wow nice work, I'd be way too scared to cut my bumper lol. By the way do you have any pics of the fw diffuser? Curious to see what it looks like on non-Ms. FW told me they fit on all z4's
Thanks! OEM front bumpers come up often. I bought two front bumpers so far for $100 each, so don't be too afraid . Yes it does fit all E85 and E86 (added photo to OP)

In the photo the diffuser looks slanted, but it's not.

Last edited by SwissArmy; 07-10-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Update:

Added eyelids and spoiler last night

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
... Thanks! OEM front bumpers come up often. ...
I'll be looking to unload my OEM ///M front bumper cover in a week or two.
      07-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I'll be looking to unload my OEM ///M front bumper cover in a week or two.
Nice! What new bumper are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Got stock replacement one from another forumite.
It had been accidented, but not too badly.
Paint was in much better shape than mine, and the price was good.

My old one is now on the garage floor. Will take some pics and post it for sale this weekend.