ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
quadna71
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Questions about brake pads, wear sensors, and lights

I'm getting ready to replace the OEM pads on my 2005 e86. Yes they are OEM as it only has 55K miles on the clock. I have green EBC sport pads that are going in and I may/may not turn the rotors depending upon the looks of them or if there is much of a lip.

I also ordered both sensors as what i've read online implies I should consider them a wear item and just replace along with the pads.

Lastly, I have two lights illuminated - the BRAKE and the DSC indicators. Both stay on steady and are on as soon as i start the car until I turn it on. The BRAKE indicator is amber (not the red that it turns when I set the parking brake) as is the DSC indicator. Is this just indicative of a worn sensor being triggered? Or is indicative of a certain amount of miles being driven and the system is assuming the brakes are worn? I have found varying and conflicting answers to this online.

If it is either a worn sensor or system mileage countdown that triggers it, will it reset upon replacing the sensor or are there steps I can take with buttons on the dash to reset it once I finish the work?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Not 100% sure, mine trip when the sensor got hit.. i assume once you replace the sensor with fresh one, it should go away.. DSC im not sure