ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #67
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

That's it. I'm moving to NorCal.

Somebody, the more the better, better take pics and/or videos!!!!! Be safe and enjoy!
      12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #68
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I already started the anti-rain dances in betwixt studying for finals (as I've already told Ron & Krissi)
Here's to hoping for no rain!

My last final will be on the 17th, and I'll have a couple of days to swap out all of my rotors and pads. These damn Brembo BBK components were expensive as shit
I already hand-washed them clean with soap + water to get rid of the anti-corrosion coating on them. And on Black Friday, I got a small torque wrench for torquing in the hardware to mate the replacement rotor rings to the existing BBK hats. Then I gotta go through at least two good rounds of bed-in prior to the 23rd.
So much to do, so little time. Hope it all goes smoothly and according to plan lol
And we appreciate the anti-rain work Lon! You've got a busy schedule between now and the 23rd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
If the world ends on 12/21... I'd be really pissed
Damn Mayans. They weren't really auto-enthusiasts, so I'm not putting much stock in their "predictions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
That's it. I'm moving to NorCal.

Somebody, the more the better, better take pics and/or videos!!!!! Be safe and enjoy!
LOL. We'll have track video, and photos.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #69
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Woot! 7 days and counting. I just got a sitter for my kids so its just me, wife and midlife crisis yellow z06!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #70
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Unfortunately, despite my anti rain dance efforts, weather forecasts say there's still a 50% chance of rain on Sunday the 23rd in Monterey, CA
I will continue to check forecasting throughout the week.

In other news, I'm finishing up finals tomorrow and will likely attempt rotors and pads swap for my BBKs, followed by a late-night session of bedding in. By then, there should be very few cars if any on the freeway near my house. It'll be my first time really focusing on bed in for both rotors and pads
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #71
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This will be my first time on track in the rain...any pointers other than slowing down ?

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #72
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, is there a covered viewing stand? Or will I need a pop up tent for the rain?

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #73
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
This will be my first time on track in the rain...any pointers other than slowing down ?
Slow and smooth
Start turn-ins early, but slowly, and same when you're exiting.
Also, try to stay off the berms if they're wet.

I'm hoping it'll only be damp and not completely soaked, but we'll see
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Also, is there a covered viewing stand? Or will I need a pop up tent for the rain?
I never bother renting out one of the garage spaces they sometimes offer, so I just deal with whatever weather I get. Typically if it's raining, I just lock the car and leave to go indoors or something

Orrr I occasionally power nap in the car lol. Just depends.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 12-16-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #74
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

I'm no expert, but I've run a couple of days in the wet.

Like Lon said, slow down and allow more room between you and cars in front or behind. Allow longer braking zones. Above all, be very smooth in your inputs, brake, throttle, steering inputs all need to be ultra smooth. Slow on/off the brakes, slow on/off the throttle, slower and less sharp on turn-in. Any flaws in driving style will be more evident in the rain!

I found that trying to keep weight transfer on turn-in neutral/balanced seemed to offer more grip than more weight forward, which you usually want to help rotate the car. That is, sacrificing a bit of weight transfer over the front wheels into the corner by braking earlier and getting the car balanced with neutral throttle. That seemed to keep the rear-end more planted. And very smooth and very easy back on the throttle!

Lastly, I found that the wet line seems to be different. It might mean starting a turn in a bit earlier, and from more of the middle of the track rather than far outside. The areas with the most rubber--the ones that are your friend in the dry--don't seem to offer much grip. It seemed it was best to be where the usual line wasn't. And it seemed best that when crossing the dry line it was best to cross with as little steering input as possible (straight is better).

Open to other thoughts--like I said--I'm no expert!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #75
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Since this is my 2nd track day and possibly first time on a wet track, 2 questions I have:
- any additional prep work needed?
- do you recommend track insurance in general(and which insurance)?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #76
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Aside from making sure that the car you're going to be driving out on the track is in tip top shape, pretty much everything else is under your control. As long as people are smart in their driving (whether it be avoiding certain other drivers out on the course, or just plain knowing your own limits), I don't really see a need for track insurance. Accidents can and do happen, but from what I've seen, it always involves overzealous driver(s) or other foreseeable/avoidable factors. I guess all I'm trying to say is, just stick to common sense and you should be alright. There's no reason to drive faster than you feel/deem necessary. Don't let others dictate how YOU drive, especially if it puts you or others at risk. At the end of the day, I think track insurance makes sense for cars that are worth a significant amount; but typically those cars probably wouldn't be on the track anyways. Otherwise the owner is either really good at drving and has no worries whatsoever, or really rich and can afford to lose a pricey car, or is just not smart.
At the speeds that a beginner group will be going Sat, I think you'll be just fine. Perhaps I give others too much credit, but I always feel like if I can do it, others certainly won't have any problems. But I don't want to be blamed for anythig if god forbid something did happen
How did your first track day go? Details? How do you feel about this upcoming event overall? All of these things can at least help you figure out what you want to do about track insurance. I've never gotten it before in any of the events I've gone to, but I'm sure it's pricey for any decent coverage.

Edit: i just reread all that and I'm not sure I helped at all -_-
Sorry, it's late, and my brain's fried from studying for my finals lol..I may not be makin much sense right now...
Gonna need my wingman Ron to fill in for me and help Sat out lol

Last edited by mfanatic325; 12-17-2012 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #77
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since this is my 2nd track day and possibly first time on a wet track, 2 questions I have:
- any additional prep work needed?
- do you recommend track insurance in general(and which insurance)?

Thx
It's a personal thing. If your coverage specifically excludes any type of event such as an HPDE, then it might be worth considering it. But that would apply to any track day, not just a wet one! Check your policy. But know that this advice applies to any track event, not just wet ones.

No additional prep. But make sure you have good street tires, with a good amount of tread left. Tread depth channels water. If it's cold and wet, I'd go with a bit more tire pressure cold that usual since the tires aren't going to heat up (say 34/35 to cold start rather than 31/32), and a tire with a bit more inflation (within reason) pushes water better.

Did you get an instructor? If not, and if it's wet, you might want to ask one of the more experienced drivers to go out with you. Go out with another more experienced driver during other sessions if you can. (This doesn't just apply to wet days, you can learn a lot from other drivers--I have.)

Aside from that, the main thing is to slow down and drive at your own pace. This isn't a race! Point people by if you need to (nothing wrong with that), and drive at a pace that you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable during a session for whatever reason come in to the paddock. (I've done this many times--if something, or someone upsets me, or if I get tired and lose focus--nothing wrong with this and it always pays to know when to take some time out.)

Basically, driving in the wet means slowing down a lot and taking it easy (yes, I'm repeating myself). It means being deliberately smooth and almost "slow" with your inputs--brake, throttle, steering. Pretend there's a multi-layer wedding cake in the seat next to you--keep it from being turned into a mess! That means no abrupt steering, braking, or throttle inputs. It's a chance to really learn a lot!

My third track day was a wet day, and I didn't have any issues. Those who did drove too fast, and we too aggressive (and those who did just got a bit dirty, nothing more.) In fact, I think I was faster in some ways that wet day, because the wet forced me to slow down and be super smooth. I did everything in my power not to upset the car, and, by doing so, ended up being faster. Weird huh?

I'm sure Luc and Dave will cover this in the driver's meeting. You can always hit Lon and me up too if need be.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #78
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info guys.
I did sit in one of the instructors car. Learned a lot about the track. I was able to see the line, know when to accelerate and brake.
Hope to sit in one of your car this Sunday.

On a side note, any caravan planned?
I have a friend and his Miata joining me
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #79
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys.
I did sit in one of the instructors car. Learned a lot about the track. I was able to see the line, know when to accelerate and brake.
Hope to sit in one of your car this Sunday.

On a side note, any caravan planned?
I have a friend and his Miata joining me
I'm open to give ride-alongs to anyone that's interested. I also learned a lot from others when I first started out. It's one thing to know how far a modern car can be pushed before it even reaches its limits, and it's yet another challenge to be able to meet the car's limits yourself by being willing and able to handle it all. I see track days as application days where one executes what they learn via car control clinics. It's just oh so challenging and fun! I absolutely love performance driving.

As for caravan, I'm just driving down during the morning of the track day most likely, unless my buddy (who has a house in Salinas, right next to Monterey) wants to house me for a night
In that case, I might drive down Saturday afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #80
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
I'm open to give ride-alongs to anyone that's interested. I also learned a lot from others when I first started out. It's one thing to know how far a modern car can be pushed before it even reaches its limits, and it's yet another challenge to be able to meet the car's limits yourself by being willing and able to handle it all. I see track days as application days where one executes what they learn via car control clinics. It's just oh so challenging and fun! I absolutely love performance driving.

As for caravan, I'm just driving down during the morning of the track day most likely, unless my buddy (who has a house in Salinas, right next to Monterey) wants to house me for a night
In that case, I might drive down Saturday afternoon.

and im rolling with Lon
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #81
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Yep, this will be my second track day, so it will be interesting if it rains. I'd love to ride along with anyone that has space for a few laps so I can learn a thing or two...

I plan on coming down Saturday night and staying in a nearby hotel. Maybe we can all grab some food if there are enough of us in the area?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #82
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm planning to drive down Sunday morning.
Let me know if there'll be any caravan or if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #83
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
ill be coming from san jose, and im down to caravan
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #84
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
and im rolling with Lon
heh, no prob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Yep, this will be my second track day, so it will be interesting if it rains. I'd love to ride along with anyone that has space for a few laps so I can learn a thing or two...

I plan on coming down Saturday night and staying in a nearby hotel. Maybe we can all grab some food if there are enough of us in the area?
I could switch you, Mike, Sat, and anyone else around during my sessions. And if no-one is riding with you guys, I'll sit in on your sessions as well
Quote:
Maybe I'll catch you on the freeway

Ugh...I'm only 50% done with my rotors and pads swap. Would still be working on it if only my garage lights weren't all busted
Guess I'll finish tomorrow afternoon and then do the bed-in late tomorrow night.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #85
dorifto88
Major
Rep

i owe you a beer Lon =)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #86
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
i owe you a beer Lon =)
lol for what?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #87
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
lol for what?
for being an mfanatic haha
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #88
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I am planning on going down on Sunday morning. Maybe i will see you on the highway as well.
Appreciate 0